Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

I would be shocked if the Bills didn't sign Davis.  He most likely play for a cheap deal, and his leadership and work ethic alone would be worth having him in the defensive room.

Plus, he's an upgrade from some of the backups we have at LB.  He is a guy that McD and Beane know and trust.  After losing Kyle Williams, bringing in Davis makes total sense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dezertbill said:

I would be shocked if the Bills didn't sign Davis.  He most likely play for a cheap deal, and his leadership and work ethic alone would be worth having him in the defensive room.

Plus, he's an upgrade from some of the backups we have at LB.  He is a guy that McD and Beane know and trust.  After losing Kyle Williams, bringing in Davis makes total sense.

Can he play Special Teams well?

12 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, it depends on what the FO is thinking re: von Miller. If they feel they can get a reasonable trade done, and Elway doesn't block it, it will be a better choice. But if Miller is out of bounds, I would like to have Davis on a 1-2 year deal

why not both?

Joe Marino on the Locked on Bills podcast today made a good case for signing Davis. He isn't the same player as Lorenzo Alexander. Zo plays more in pass rush situations, whereas Davis is better in coverage situations. He's apparently one of the hardest workers in the league so he brings that leadership quality to a young LB core. And if you put stock in PFF they graded him better in 2018 than in 2017 or 2016 so he isn't necessarily declining. I'm convinced this would be a really good signing.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/9/2019 at 6:51 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Could be depth too. Would be better than Julian Stanford/Corey Thompson 

Instantly - it didn't make or break anything but we clearly were hurting when Milano went down, and even when Tre went through the protocol you could see a difference. Until Tre can develop more, if either he or Milano goes down our lack of support there gets exposed.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:56 PM, JoeF said:

He is still a high-level player.  I know its hard to believe at 36 but he can still cover TEs and most running backs and is aces against the run.  I have watched him the last 5 years (live in NC) and have been waiting for a drop off-- there has been none.  I offer him 2 years at $6 million ($2.5 million SB and base salaries of $1.75 million per year) and make the same offer to Lorax.  Get both and let them share the position.

This is one ex-Panther I really hope we get...

Good against the run you say? Well, if there's one thing we weren't good at this year it's that - especially at the LB level until Edmunds develops that part of his game, and maybe Davis could mentor him in that regard. Who knows, a 1 or 2 year deal, by the time that's over Edmunds should at least be starting to flash his prime self.

Edited by ctk232

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:40 AM, CommonCents said:

The guy is ancient by NFL standards and tore up the same knee 3 times, fresh off a PED suspension last season. 

Davis has always been one of my favorites but it’s time to hang them up. Lots of people want him around to teach Edmunds/Milano, if he is a good teacher bring him in as a coach.

I’d be surprised if he makes it through a camp/preseason. 

He will be a depth signing for 1 year.  If they don't sign Davis OBD needs to find someone similar to sign.

If he got hurt before the season they put him on IR and still get his mentoring.

I don't see any real risk.  Puts off drafting a LB until next year.

Davis has seen and done everything as an NFL LB, if he's got one year left it would be great.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

He will be a depth signing for 1 year.  If they don't sign Davis OBD needs to find someone similar to sign.

If he got hurt before the season they put him on IR and still get his mentoring.

I don't see any real risk.  Puts off drafting a LB until next year.

Davis has seen and done everything as an NFL LB, if he's got one year left it would be great.

One year left....isn’t that same mindset they are lending towards Lorax? There is risk, using multiple roster spots on old guys jeopardizes the depth and puts you in a tough spot next year come draft/FA. It reminds me of Patriot fans getting excited over the corpse of David Harris. 

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

One year left....isn’t that same mindset they are lending towards Lorax? There is risk, using multiple roster spots on old guys jeopardizes the depth and puts you in a tough spot next year come draft/FA. It reminds me of Patriot fans getting excited over the corpse of David Harris. 

Even though I do believe he would contribute and have a positive impact on the field, I believe his off-the-field work habit, how he prepares for the game and his familiarity with what McD is truly wanting from an ex ALL PRO like Davis would pay immeasurable dividends for the young guys like Milano and Edmunds.   

He'll find a way to get on the field in coverage situations plus as we all know injuries are bound to happen.

9 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I hear you but I already said if they have a better option in FA this year they should do it.

Do you got someone in mind they should target?

The cap space for Davis and Lorax ( if he does sign) in 2020 will get them enough to pursue a decent vet.

As to this years draft, with all the other needs the best they probably should do drafting a LB would be one of the 5th's or a 6th.

After using a lot of capital this year on the offense, Beane can use a higher pick LB next year.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I hear you but I already said if they have a better option in FA this year they should do it.

Do you got someone in mind they should target?

The cap space for Davis and Lorax ( if he does sign) in 2020 will get them enough to pursue a decent vet.

As to this years draft, with all the other needs the best they probably should do drafting a LB would be one of the 5th's or a 6th.

After using a lot of capital this year on the offense, Beane can use a higher pick LB next year.

Beane says he is going BPA in the draft, with 10? picks (IIRC) they will end up with a LB at some point. I’d rather not keep around two guys at that stage of their career who would basically both have the same role. Mentor/part time player. 

Jordan Hicks would be a high risk high reward signing, if could stay healthy he would improve an already solid coverage unit.

12 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Beane says he is going BPA in the draft, with 10? picks (IIRC) they will end up with a LB at some point. I’d rather not keep around two guys at that stage of their career who would basically both have the same role. Mentor/part time player. 

Jordan Hicks would be a high risk high reward signing, if could stay healthy he would improve an already solid coverage unit.

You picked a guy I think OBD should be looking at too.

I'm interested how much Hicks will want in FA.

12 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Please don't.  He's 35.  His athleticism has hit the bricks.  He'd be a good leader for the defense but he's just too old, so is LORAX.  We only need one of them for veteran leadership.

He still looked pretty good to me in 2018. You could do a lot worse for a veteran depth guy.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what's your take?  Tiger in the Tank still, or "Carolina North" nepotism signing if they take him?

He's a smart player and that makes a big difference. It'd be akin to signing Nick Barnett with what's left. His playing ability is skillful and it's like having a free safety covering your mistakes in the middle of the field who plays limebacker if that makes sense.  

Didn't see much this season to see if he lost a step but last season he did not. He can cover Gronk when he's on point. 

I'd love to get him and meant nothing negative by the Barnett equation. Barnett shouldn't have been starting the full tenure of his buffalo years.  Davis may be better, he's definitely above the quality we brought in with Morrison

• Like (+1) 1