Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He would really help on 1st and 2nd downs. Could also be an option to free Zo up to rush the passer more, which frees Lawson up to kick inside more. Hoping Milano is good to go, but would be nice insurance policy fir that as well. 

At 36, he may be looking for a familiar system and coach to play for. Where else would he rather be?

I think that would be a huge factor - imo. He would want to be productive, not just a guy, and that’s his best chance. He could add value in a leadership role as well given the departure of Kyle, something he seems to enjoy. 

But we don’t really know what he’s looking for, that’s just my assumption.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think we do it .. we're not paying for production in my mind .. look what happened to Josh .. when we surrounded him with same position vets (DA & Barkley) in the QB room .. now we need to do the same for our stud(s) on the defense Edmunds/ and even Milano .. Edmunds especially needs same position mentoring and TD is perfect for that role .. ..  Also, think it will help with continuity with Star and his role to free up Edmunds and attack angles. 

Those that are indicating playing time for younger players .. we have to remember the 1st round investment in Edmunds .. like Josh .. and surround them with people for those times off the field in the film room so that things click when on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

Given his resume, age and production last season I have to think he’s chasing a ring. Be the perfect way to go out for him. I don’t think he’ll be chasing the best money available. 

With that said obviously he’s a perfect fit for this team and I am 100% sure they’ll kick the tires and gauge his interest and bring him in if he’s willing 

This move makes too much sense.  Not only would he very likely still be a producer on the field but the leadership and more importantly the intangibles of giving insight, how he prepares for each game would be invaluable for both Milano and Edmunds.  Bring him in PLEASE!!!!!   I BEG OF YOU!!!!

The guy is ancient by NFL standards and tore up the same knee 3 times, fresh off a PED suspension last season. 

Davis has always been one of my favorites but it’s time to hang them up. Lots of people want him around to teach Edmunds/Milano, if he is a good teacher bring him in as a coach.

I’d be surprised if he makes it through a camp/preseason. 

Edited by CommonCents

39 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, it depends on what the FO is thinking re: von Miller. If they feel they can get a reasonable trade done, and Elway doesn't block it, it will be a better choice. But if Miller is out of bounds, I would like to have Davis on a 1-2 year deal

von miller??? where is this coming from? just hopes or dreams or has there been speculation? first I am hearing of it 

It's pretty much a no brainer.

1. Familiar coach

2. Familiar scheme

3. Familiar teammate

4. Fairly solid player

5. Experience and mentoring

6. Chances are McBeane will over pay like         they did Star.

Unless he gets a ridiculous offer from a contender I don't see how he's not a Bill next season.

Edited by billsbackto81

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

1 year deal to mentor the young LBs? You know McD loves him. Anything left?

So I got no info on the key questions - whether he's got anything left and whether he would be a good mentor.

But at some point, a HC desire to bring in guys he's got a previous connection to is counterproductive.  We saw this with Rex where it sometimes seemed he was trying to turn the Bills into NYJ West.  We may have seen this with Beane overpaying for familiar faces such as Star Lotuleilei and Kelvin Benjamin.

We may have seen it with Castillo bringing in Ducasse and sticking with him above OLmen who seemed to be better athletes/more able to react quickly just not as skilled at Castillo's preferred techniques.

I'm not saying they shouldn't sign him, just questioning would he really be the best FA LB available or would it be the case that he got the job because "he knows someone"?  McDermott has been here two years.  Shouldn't he be beyond the point where he needs someone familiar to him to mentor his current team?

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know much about Davis other than he was once a very good LB.  Based on what I have seen in this thread from others who have seen him play recently, I think he'd be a good short-term signing.  Likely many teams will be interested and the connections to McDermott and Beane should give the Bills an edge.

• Like (+1) 1