Thomas Davis won’t be back with Panthers, wants to keep playing

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

Two years might be a bit much at that age, unless it’s structured in a way that protects the team. But why not look into this. You know him better than I do, but when Farther Time calls your number.....

You consistently wake up at 4:30 AM to pee?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

T. Davis is a class act and tough competitor.  He will probably not be looking to go to a team as a backup.  There are some teams like Cincinnati that are in desperate need of linebacker help that will pursue him.

You are right...we won't be the only suitor, far from it...welcome to the board.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

1 year deal to mentor the young LBs? You know McD loves him. Anything left?

Sounds good to me.    That 3rd LB is a part time position anyway so it doesn't make sense to invest much cash or draft capital into the position.  Davis could almost certainly play all 3 positions in the event of an injury.

I thought when the Panthers extended his deal thru 2018 in the summer of 2017 that it was a move to prevent McD and his LB starved Bills from scheming to poach him after the 2017 season..........if you didn't think he might leave it was a bit of a weird move........kinda' like when the Beane unnecessarily extended Eric Wood in the summer of 2017 (except Wood was even less likely to leave).

Fwiw.....Davis' agent is also former Terry Pegula employee Todd France..........the same guy who negotiated Dareus' sweetheart deal and Pegs signed off on..........so not sure if he's still tight with the Pegs or not.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Could be depth too. Would be better than Julian Stanford/Corey Thompson 

Corey Thompson could still turn into something, but he needs reps that he won't get if they bring in older vets.  That said, will be interesting to see if Bills have interest.

Get ‘er done Beane! 1 year deal or two years with a reasonable out. Davis will be the perfect foil to our Keuchly and help him with the reads. 

Move Lorax to spell Shaq at DE and to ST when Davis gets many snaps. But do need to use Davis and Lorax judiciously and keep em fresh for late in the season.

Oh man, might as well fit him for a jersey tomorrow. Is there any possibility this doesn't happen? I have no issues with a cheap 1-year deal, but based on their brief history of overpaying for former players, I'm skeptical this ends well.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Two years might be a bit much at that age, unless it’s structured in a way that protects the team. But why not look into this. You know him better than I do, but when Farther Time calls your number.....

1 year, team option for 2nd year. Have to believe McBeane loves this guy as he’d be schooled in the Process & scheme, great depth and locker room guy and injury insurance. Plus, it pushes one draft need down a bit to consider more offensive help or combine picks for a trade.

’notherwords, Giterdone!

• Like (+1) 2

A mentor role and some fill in snaps is about all he's good for at this point. You could see he had lost a step this year in Carolina. A good locker room guy, but wouldn't expect much in the way of on field production. 

He would really help on 1st and 2nd downs. Could also be an option to free Zo up to rush the passer more, which frees Lawson up to kick inside more. Hoping Milano is good to go, but would be nice insurance policy fir that as well. 

At 36, he may be looking for a familiar system and coach to play for. Where else would he rather be?