Is Rex Ryan done in the NFL ?

PUNT750

Rex is now only 57 years old.  His net worth is $20 mil.  He still receives $4 mil per year from the Bills. 

His first head coaching opportunity came with the New York Jets. He led the team for six seasons, compiling a record of 46-50-0 and into two AFC Championship games. He then joined the Buffalo Bills and was HC  from 2015 to 2016, leading the team to a 15-17-0 record during his two seasons as head coach.

Can he still be a factor in future NFL coaching opportunities???  Was he a one-shot wonder HC ?

for the sake of the NFL & teams & players & fans everywhere... we can only hope he's done.

it disgusts me that we're still paying this dude but the Pegulas should pay for it, given it was their mistake in bringing him here in the 1st place.

We can only hope they've learned their collective lessons.

• Like (+1) 1

I think his head coaching days are over. 

His teams couldn’t back up his mouth. 

Was he ever that good? 

He coached a dominant defense in Baltimore, had hall of fame players in Ray Lewis and Ed reed.. Then did ok with the jets bringing in some raven guys like Bart Scott but none of his teams were that great defensively definitely not raven good. Schawartz had this buffalo defense as dominant as I’ve seen in a long time. Rush 4 and had pressure every friggen down then Rex comes and they couldn’t stop anyone. 

Hes similar to Kap and Tebow, bringing him in isn’t worth the PR headaches and attention it would bring. I don’t even know if he could land a coordinator gig in the pros anymore. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

Rex is now only 57 years old.  His net worth is $20 mil.  He still receives $4 mil per year from the Bills. 

His first head coaching opportunity came with the New York Jets. He led the team for six seasons, compiling a record of 46-50-0 and into two AFC Championship games. He then joined the Buffalo Bills and was HC  from 2015 to 2016, leading the team to a 15-17-0 record during his two seasons as head coach.

Can he still be a factor in future NFL coaching opportunities???  Was he a one-shot wonder HC ?

Didn't Marv Levy say something to the effect, "if you say you're going to retire in a year or two, you've already retired, you just don't know it yet"?

I think when Rex came here, talking about TV as an option he'd considered, he was in the same place as Levy's coach who said he'd retire in a year or two.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't Marv Levy say something to the effect, "if you say you're going to retire in a year or two, you've already retired, you just don't know it yet"?

I think when Rex came here, talking about TV as an option he'd considered, he was in the same place as Levy's coach who said he'd retire in a year or two.

He did say when he got to Buffalo that this was his last job.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely correct. This is probably one of the reasons Brady never hints at retirement. His edge over others is unprecedented drive/focus. He's the least physically gifted great QB of all time, but perhaps the greatest. I'm sure there are other examples, but Brady was the first name that came to mind.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Absolutely correct. This is probably one of the reasons Brady never hints at retirement. His edge over others is unprecedented drive/focus. He's the least physically gifted great QB of all time, but perhaps the greatest. I'm sure there are other examples, but Brady was the first name that came to mind.

This is a great point.  Maybe to get the retirement seed in Brady's head, someone can send him pictures of different water slides.  He'll soon want to do that than play football.

image.png.a196dbff6ecdd34309ac90c40dae1395.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is a great point.  Maybe to get the retirement seed in Brady's head, someone can send him pictures of different water slides.  He'll soon want to do that than play football.

image.png.a196dbff6ecdd34309ac90c40dae1395.png

Ha. I would love to see the Bills annihilate Brady as much as the next guy, but there's something really impressive about his focus. He has everything any human being could ever want, is the most accomplished NFL QB of all time, is over 40, but continues to work his ass off to be great. It's remarkable. Having said that, can't wait until the day I don't look at the schedule and pencil in a loss for both games against New England.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

He will need to take a DC job. I would recommend he takes a job with one of these young coaches so he can control everything while they won't threaten him.  He should go to Arizona where they already run a 3-4

- His scheme is outdated.

- He would need a stable of veterans (Ed Reed, Jim Leonard, Bart Scott, etc.) to install it, along with the number of practices that used to be allowed by the NFLPA.

- He doesn't seem interested in working hard enough to reinvent himself or starting over as a position coach or coordinator.

I think he's done.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PUNT750 said:

I think Rex has coaches his last game in a HC capacity in the NFL abut stranger things have happened.  

I think that the game kind of passed Rex’s philosophy by.

I definitely believed that Rex wants to coach again in the NFL and will try hard to get another opportunity.  I just don’t see it happening .

I do think college might be a good spot for him 

5 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

- His scheme is outdated.

- He would need a stable of veterans (Ed Reed, Jim Leonard, Bart Scott, etc.) to install it, along with the number of practices that used to be allowed by the NFLPA.

- He doesn't seem interested in working hard enough to reinvent himself or starting over as a position coach or coordinator.

I think he's done.

They are all approaching AARP eligibility. Rex is history, but has value on TV. Take (more) easy money and stay off the sidelines. He’s got an ego, but I don’t think he can rival Gruden in that regard. Be smart, take the cash.