Jets select Adam Gase as HC

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, teef said:

you don't ignore the next two years, but i wouldn't think of it as the future.  they should have darnold for a long time, so i can't imagine there's enormous pressure to win next year. (i  get that there's always pressure to win).

i'm not fired up at all.  i'm just shocked you can't understand what posters are trying to explain.  it's ok.  you be you.

Haha. It will be funny to revisit this when people are shocked how well the Jets offense looks last year.  But you be you and keep up the homer (seriously, I’m kinda sad I don’t irrationally defend every Bills move and trash every rival’s ones).

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

There was also a line outside his room of players coming to thank him after the team was informed he wouldn't be back. 

Coming to thank him or coming to help him pack up his things?

"No, no, Adam, let us get that for you. Ryan, hold the door for me. Minkah, get Adam's keys and open his trunk for him. Okay, everyone grab a box and let's move this along now. Busy, busy, busy."

Gotta admit one thing: reading Twitter and message boards, nothing has brought the Jets fans together faster than finding out Gase is their coach. AND he's bringing his OC with him. Impossible to tell how this is going to play out, but damn it's been a long time since I've seen virtually every single Jets fan fill their diapers over something.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I agree that he's in a better position in NY. I also have a hunch they'll get Le'Veon Bell, which will transform them. 

Bell would be interesting for sure.  Personally, given how well the Steelers other backs played and his me first attitude, I don’t know if I would want to pay him that much.  But if they do, I think they could be dangerous on offense. Darnold needs to protect the ball better though.

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

Coming to thank him or coming to help him pack up his things?

"No, no, Adam, let us get that for you. Ryan, hold the door for me. Minkah, get Adam's keys and open his trunk for him. Okay, everyone grab a box and let's move this along now. Busy, busy, busy."

Gotta admit one thing: reading Twitter and message boards, nothing has brought the Jets fans together faster than finding out Gase is their coach. AND he's bringing his OC with him. Impossible to tell how this is going to play out, but damn it's been a long time since I've seen virtually every single Jets fan fill their diapers over something.

And considering 90% of Jets fans are morons, it’s going to end up being a solid hire. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha. It will be funny to revisit this when people are shocked how well the Jets offense looks last year.  But you be you and keep up the homer (seriously, I’m kinda sad I don’t irrationally defend every Bills move and trash every rival’s ones).

ah...calling someone a homer.  you don't even know my stance on this team yet you call out homer.  it's so hard to take someone seriously when they do that.

dave explained why your take was off, and i think you may have gotten it a bit.  it's amazing, you say you don't irrationally defend every bills move, yet you irrationally build up everyone that isn't on the bills.  to compare wins right now is just stupid, yet you insist on it.  you defend gase because of the miami roster and having bad qbs , even though it was partly his doing, yet you trash mcd and bean for tearing down ours.   you refuse to apply the same logic to both arguments.  i just don't think you have the ability to understand what people are calling you out on.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Bell would be interesting for sure.  Personally, given how well the Steelers other backs played and his me first attitude, I don’t know if I would want to pay him that much.  But if they do, I think they could be dangerous on offense. Darnold needs to protect the ball better though.

I think Conner, despite his stats, was a huge step down from Bell. Bell is such a better router runner that it's a joke. The Steelers' o-line was the best line in the league this season as per PFF, so it's not hard for any back to look solid on that team in the run game. So the stats don't mean that much to me. However, when you watch Bell vs. Conner in the passing game, the difference becomes immediately clear: Bell is a far better route runner and has way better hands. He's not a catch-the-ball-in-the-flat-guy only, but a guy who can legitimately run receiver routes. He's deadly on wheel routes too, an area where Conner didn't impress. I don't think Conner is a bad player, mind you. He's average but running behind a terrific line. Bell is a difference maker. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

ah...calling someone a homer.  you don't even know my stance on this team yet you call out homer.  it's so hard to take someone seriously when they do that.

dave explained why your take was off, and i think you may have gotten it a bit.  it's amazing, you say you don't irrationally defend every bills move, yet you irrationally build up everyone that isn't on the bills.  to compare wins right now is just stupid, yet you insist on it.  you defend gase because of the miami roster and having bad qbs , even though it was partly his doing, yet you trash mcd and bean for tearing down ours.   you refuse to apply the same logic to both arguments.  i just don't think you have the ability to understand what people are calling you out on.  

Gase = terrible and McDermott = good despite their win %. I got it.  

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And considering 90% of Jets fans are morons, it’s going to end up being a solid hire. 

It absolutely can be a solid hire. He wouldn't be the first coach to change his stripes in a different venue.   

To be honest, I have no idea how this is going to work out, and neither does anyone else. Literally no one. As someone mentioned, bring in Bell behind Darnold and you have a solid complement to a solid Defense, but that's a big if.

The only thing I know for sure is that in the final game, it felt like every Miami play was being summoned through a Ouija board. Especially third down. Made no sense. If he can bring that play-calling to the Jets, I'm all for it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, teef said:

at least i know enough to think twice when you tell me i'm off my rocker (temporarily)  :D

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I think Conner, despite his stats, was a huge step down from Bell. Bell is such a better router runner that it's a joke. The Steelers' o-line was the best line in the league this season as per PFF, so it's not hard for any back to look solid on that team in the run game. So the stats don't mean that much to me. However, when you watch Bell vs. Conner in the passing game, the difference becomes immediately clear: Bell is a far better route runner and has way better hands. He's not a catch-the-ball-in-the-flat-guy only, but a guy who can legitimately run receiver routes. He's deadly on wheel routes too, an area where Conner didn't impress. I don't think Conner is a bad player, mind you. He's average but running behind a terrific line. Bell is a difference maker. 

That’s fair. Bell is the more explosive player.  Their oline is great and their great wrs open up the field for their rbs (something the Bills have completely disregarded the last 2 years).

would you sign him if you were the Jets?  

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

It absolutely can be a solid hire. He wouldn't be the first coach to change his stripes in a different venue.   

To be honest, I have no idea how this is going to work out, and neither does anyone else. Literally no one. As someone mentioned, bring in Bell behind Darnold and you have a solid complement to a solid Defense, but that's a big if.

The only thing I know for sure is that in the final game, it felt like every Miami play was being summoned through a Ouija board. Especially third down. Made no sense. If he can bring that play-calling to the Jets, I'm all for it.

Yeah, Miami looked like ?.  And as great as the women and weather can be, Miami sucks as a football town.  I think players just go down there to basically enjoy the social life.  It blows my mind that Miami is such a blah team for so long.  It should get any free agent they want.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gase = terrible and McDermott = good despite their win %. I got it.  

oh my.  i didn't say gase was terrible or mcdermott was good.  i just felt that comparing win percentages of a coach that was beginning the third year of a rebuild to a coach that had his chance, coached multiple year and failed, wasn't correct or honest.  i guess you just can't understand that.  since you have no argument and are coming off looking a bit foolish, you fall back on calling people homers, and nonsense comments that were never actually said.  you easily prove my point.  

edit:  to be fair, i'm not even saying gase is a bad coach.  he may do well and you may be right.  i just was shocked that you think comparing win percentages is an intelligent, reasonable way of comparing the two.  it's not, and either you don't understand that, or you just can't admit you look a bit foolish after all of this.

Edited by teef
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, teef said:

ah...calling someone a homer.  you don't even know my stance on this team yet you call out homer.  it's so hard to take someone seriously when they do that.\

I never understand why calling someone a homer is perceived as a bad thing.

What the hell is wrong with being a homer? The difference between a homer and other fans is that a homer KNOWS they can do NOTHING to change the trajectory of their team's successes. Not one damn thing. So instead of pretending we're smarter than NFL execs and instead of pretending our thoughts matter, we just enjoy the ride...win or lose? The only other option is to not follow the team, and that's not an option for me.

So I willingly choose to watch and cheer and be a homer.

I'm LABillzFan and I'm a homer. Wouldn't you like to be a homer too?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s fair. Bell is the more explosive player.  Their oline is great and their great wrs open up the field for their rbs (something the Bills have completely disregarded the last 2 years).

would you sign him if you were the Jets?  

Yeah, Miami looked like ?.  And as great as the women and weather can be, Miami sucks as a football town.  I think players just go down there to basically enjoy the social life.  It blows my mind that Miami is such a blah team for so long.  It should get any free agent they want.

Yes, I'd sign him if I were the Jets. They have to spend that money somehow, and he's a difference maker. 

13 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

What the hell is wrong with being a homer? The difference between a homer and other fans is that a homer KNOWS they can do NOTHING to change the trajectory of their team's successes. Not one damn thing. So instead of pretending we're smarter than NFL execs and instead of pretending our thoughts matter, we just enjoy the ride...win or lose? The only other option is to not follow the team, and that's not an option for me.

I'd posit tempering that homer-dom stuff with being realistic

Running around boasting about 11-5 next season with fans of other teams cannot lead to anything good.

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I think a homer is someone incapable of comprehending any criticism of their team. I’ve never seen that on this board. I’ve seen it more with CFB fans. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

To be fair to C.Biscuit, he was the king of the homers for years. He has admitted that he's the equivalent of an ex-smoker now. 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

oh my.  i didn't say gase was terrible or mcdermott was good.  i just felt that comparing win percentages of a coach that was beginning the third year of a rebuild to a coach that had his chance, coached multiple year and failed, wasn't correct or honest.  i guess you just can't understand that.  since you have no argument and are coming off looking a bit foolish, you fall back on calling people homers, and nonsense comments that were never actually said.  you easily prove my point.  

edit:  to be fair, i'm not even saying gase is a bad coach.  he may do well and you may be right.  i just was shocked that you think comparing win percentages is an intelligent, reasonable way of comparing the two.  it's not, and either you don't understand that, or you just can't admit you look a bit foolish after all of this.

Ok, let’s end this because it sounds like we both were a little off on our positions.

To clarify, I was calling out posters say how terrible Gase was.  Personally, I think he is a good offensive coach who was stuck with not great qbs in Miami.  My point in bringing up McDermott was for the people calling Gase terrible, our coach had a worse winning %.  And while it’s not exact science, I don’t think Miami was some super talented team that underachieved.  Their roster kinda sucks and RT isn’t close to as good of a qb to elevate him.

and I certainly wasn’t saying SM sucks.  Personally, I think he is the definition of an average coach who could be good if he has a good qb.  Sorry for the miscommunication.

Friends?  ?

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So ... when two relatively equally matched teams play a meaningless end of season game, the winner of that game clearly has the better coach? But what about "the team with nothing to play for almost beat you while playing some guy named David Fales at QB in a game you needed to win to make the playoffs the year before" rule?  How does that fit into your simplistic theory of Motivational Speaker Guy Coaches?

Not quite sure why you're beating this drum, but if you can't see the difference in the culture McD has established in Buffalo and what Gase "established" in Miami I just can't help ya, kid.  McD kept the Bills competitive with perhaps the least talented roster in the league.  Gase lost his locker room, his team imploded, and he got himself canned.  Still having trouble seeing who is the better leader?

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I know you would be. 

A lot of posters wouldn't be. Honestly not sure about Gase. I think the Jets wanted someone specifically for the development of Darnold. 

Agree. It wouldn't surprise me if in three years the Jets feel pretty good about Darnold but are still stuck between 6 and 9 wins and ditch Gase to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think a homer is someone incapable of comprehending any criticism of their team. I’ve never seen that on this board. I’ve seen it more with CFB fans. 

That's not how I see it. It's not a question of being unable to comprehend the criticism. It's a question of which criticism is worth listening to and which criticism is worth ignoring.

Example: If you want to criticize the way the Bills handled the QB situation this year, that's a fair criticism because they picked the wrong horse with McCarron. The best you can do is hope they recognize their error and not repeat it. To me, the problem is never whether someone screws up; it's how they respond to the screw up.

So criticism for the QB thing? Absolutely. But they admitted the error, corrected it, and seem to have righted the ship on that particular item. So while I'll listen to that criticism, what I don't want to listen to is the mindless troll who constantly explains that McClappy sucks because Peterman, Peterman, Peterman and he'll always suck and you suck because you don't think he sucks, too.

That's all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ok, let’s end this because it sounds like we both were a little off on our positions.

To clarify, I was calling out posters say how terrible Gase was.  Personally, I think he is a good offensive coach who was stuck with not great qbs in Miami.  My point in bringing up McDermott was for the people calling Gase terrible, our coach had a worse winning %.  And while it’s not exact science, I don’t think Miami was some super talented team that underachieved.  Their roster kinda sucks and RT isn’t close to as good of a qb to elevate him.

and I certainly wasn’t saying SM sucks.  Personally, I think he is the definition of an average coach who could be good if he has a good qb.  Sorry for the miscommunication.

Friends?  ?

this is all very fair, and we will always be friends.

18 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

yolo summed up my idea of what a homer is, but yours is so much nicer.

• Haha (+1) 1