Kyler Murray reportedly leaning toward NFL draft

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have seen a few reputable analysts say they think he’s a 1st rounder. I would be surprised  at 5’9

I believe he would go in round 1. How do you think he would fare in the NFL? I think that he has enough enough talent, but I don't know if his body could hold up at his size. As a Bills Fan, I hope he declares. It might give us a better chance of trading down.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

QB’s seem to be shrinking every year! 

Are defenders doing the same?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I believe he would go in round 1. How do you think he would fare in the NFL? I think that he has enough enough talent, but I don't know if his body could hold up at his size. As a Bills Fan, I hope he declares. It might give us a better chance of trading down.

Are defenders doing the same?

No, they are just looking to blow up the little guys!  

(But the rules help eliminate the extinction of the little QB’s.)

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Honestly stupid if he is.

He can be a perennial all star in baseball... might not even be an NFL starter

"can be a perennial all star in baseball" is kind of laughable. He could also never make it to the big leagues.  It's typically a longer and less predictable road to MLB stardom than it is to the NFL.

From what I understand he has $5 mill guaranteed on the A's contract. Unless I'm mistaken Lamar Jackson had about the same guaranteed as a late 1st rounder. 

The rewards ($$$) usually come quicker in the NFL...as does the end of the dream for those who don't pan out.

So while, I don't disagree that baseball is the better choice for him, I can see where it's a difficult decision if he'e projected to go first round.

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

"can be a perennial all star in baseball" is kind of laughable. He could also never make it to the big leagues.  It's typically a longer and less predictable road to MLB stardom than it is to the NFL.

From what I understand he has $5 mill guaranteed on the A's contract. Unless I'm mistaken Lamar Jackson had about the same guaranteed as a late 1st rounder. 

The rewards ($$$) usually come quicker in the NFL...as does the end of the dream for those who don't pan out.

So while, I don't disagree that baseball is the better choice for him, I can see where it's a difficult decision if he'e projected to go first round.

Yea it’s tough if he is projected that high but he was a top 10 pick in baseball... He is projected to be a all star type player. He was a very high recruit.

we aren’t talking a 30th round pick here. We are talking a kid who is projected to be a gold Glove type fielder and swing a plus bat with great speed

he would be in the pros sooner than later barring some crazy circumstances .. and the $$ he can make if he’s good is Almost double

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is projected to be a all star type player. He was a very high recruit.

we aren’t talking a 30th round pick here. We are talking a kid who is projected to be a gold Glover and swing a plus bat

he would be in the pros sooner than later barring some crazy circumstances 

I get that. Otherwise he wouldn't have gotten $5 mill guaranteed...from the freakin' A's!

It's just my perception that :

- first round NFL QB's make a lot more money a lot quicker (how long until Kyler makes his next $5mill playing baseball?)

- top NFL draft picks are more of a sure thing than top MLB draft picks out of college

- top NFL draft picks are at best a 50/50 proposition 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I get that. Otherwise he wouldn't have gotten $5 mill guaranteed...from the freakin' A's!

It's just my perception that :

- first round NFL QB's make a lot more money a lot quicker (how long until Kyler makes his next $5mill playing baseball?)

- top NFL draft picks are more of a sure thing than top MLB draft picks out of college

- top NFL draft picks are at best a 50/50 proposition 

If Kyler opted for baseball he would be eligible for arbitration his 4th MLB year... so yes more money quicker in football 

but i wouldn’t be so quick to say that a top 10 NFL pick is more sure than a top 10 MLB pick

i went back 8 years to the 2011 MLB... plenty of time for HS and college players to develop...

of the top 10. All 10 still play professional baseball. 9 are Big leaguers with only 1 never cracking the show yet

most top 10 picks are big leaguers

He could go the Tebow route. Try football first  if it’s his first love. If it doesn’t work, go play baseball at that point. Just seems like he loves football and doesn’t want to give it up. If he’s projected to go that high, very tough decision. 

Imagine being a 1st rd pick in 2 sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hears on Sirius he “only” got about $1.5 mil of the $4.6 so far so that’s what he’d have to return. The rest would come later, and it would be 5+ years before he made more that $700k. Aaron Judge only made about that last year. You have to get your years in and get to the next contract. Having said that.....you can play MLB forever compared to the NFL. 

Do what makes you happy in life. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If Kyler opted for baseball he would be eligible for arbitration his 4th MLB year... so yes more money quicker in football 

but i wouldn’t be so quick to say that a top 10 NFL pick is more sure than a top 10 MLB pick

i went back 8 years to the 2011 MLB... plenty of time for HS and college players to develop...

of the top 10. All 10 still play professional baseball. 9 are Big leaguers with only 1 never cracking the show yet

most top 10 picks are big leaguers

Great comebacks., but...

How many top 10 MLB picks from college become big leaguers?  Alll stars?  Perennial all stars?  And did you distinguish pitchers from position players? 

You tabbed Kyler as an all-star....no wait, a perennial all-star!  That was a step too far for me and led me to respond.

For the record, I'm not entrenched in the idea that baseball is a better choice than football for Kyle or vice versa. I think it's a difficult decision for him (we haven't even touched on injury factor or love of the game!). 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have seen a few reputable analysts say they think he’s a 1st rounder. I would be surprised  at 5’9

Not just first rounder. A lot of teams seem think he’s potentially the first QB taken which means we’re talking top 5-10

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Great comebacks., but...

How many top 10 MLB picks from college become big leaguers?  Alll stars?  Perennial all stars?  And did you distinguish pitchers from position players? 

You tabbed Kyler as an all-star....no wait, a perennial all-star!  That was a step too far for me and led me to respond.

For the record, I'm not entrenched in the idea that baseball is a better choice than football for Kyle or vice versa. I think it's a difficult decision for him (we haven't even touched on injury factor or love of the game!). 

I took that out of the scouting report I read on him. I certainly don’t watch enough college baseball to make that report myself 

i did not breakdown the HS-college ratio until you just asked and it was 5-5 in that top 10

all 5 college picks are still big leaguers. 2 infielders / 3 pitchers

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I took that out of the scouting report I read on him. I certainly don’t watch enough college baseball to make that report myself 

i did not breakdown the HS-college ratio until you just asked and it was 5-5 in that top 10

all 5 college picks are still big leaguers. 2 infielders / 3 pitchers

C'mon bro give me the names of the 5, I'm interested.

I did expect it to be more pitchers than position players from college...but then again I'm assuming Kyler isn't a pitcher due to his height.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.