McBeane Confidence Update

McBeane Confidence   

252 members have voted

1. 1. How much confidence do you have that Sean McDermott will be a successful head coach for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

2. 2. How much confidence do you have that Brandon Beane will be a successful GM for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

On 1/10/2019 at 7:55 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

65% on McD, 25% on Beane. Beane's confidence rating has plenty of room to shift now that we're heading into the offseason though. It's his time to shine or stink.

You didn’t like the last draft??? Beane’s first and only with us? I think it’s the best we’ve had in many years, but time will tell. At least somebody took a swing trying to land a QB not named EJ. 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

The way I look at it, 9-7 I keep them for sure. 8-8 with improvement would probably be fine. Anything less and there's good reason to believe they're not gonna get it done.

But I understand the point regarding Pegula. He seems hellbent on giving them time. That could change if we keep seeing blowouts and little improvement next season. Nothing is set in stone.

It really depends on the plan in 2019 if we spend big and we bust and Allen shows no progression then this admin should be fired. 

If the plan is to continue the slow build with a strong developmental plan for these young players and they show progression then McBeane will be retained. Just because we got a ton of cap space it doesnt mean these guys will go out and spend it. Matter of fact i believe they wont even spend half the money they got.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It really depends on the plan in 2019 if we spend big and we bust and Allen shows no progression then this admin should be fired. 

If the plan is to continue the slow build with a strong developmental plan for these young players and they show progression then McBeane will be retained. Just because we got a ton of cap space it doesnt mean these guys will go out and spend it. Matter of fact i believe they wont even spend half the money they got.

I'll quibble with the idea that they're off the hook if they don't spend big. If Allen doesn't have a strong season, it doesn't really matter if they spent to the cap or not. No available free agents at positions of need? Well, they should have had the foresight to see that coming and allocated resources to players not named Star and Murphy.

I really don't think 9-7 is too much to ask in the 3rd season. This is teetering on a GUARANTEED five years which seems insane.

• Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I really don't think 9-7 is too much to ask in the 3rd season. This is teetering on a GUARANTEED five years which seems insane.

Not insane if you... Trust them.

ye doubting thomas.

**** this poll was public. It's a process trap!

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

11 hours ago, Augie said:

You didn’t like the last draft??? Beane’s first and only with us? I think it’s the best we’ve had in many years, but time will tell. At least somebody took a swing trying to land a QB not named EJ. 

The draft was fine. I heavily disagreed with the last few picks, but late rounders are long shots anyway. But free agency was mediocre at best and trending more towards poor. He knew well in advance about Wood, still traded away Cordy, and knew pretty early on about Richie. Still, the OL moves were abysmal. Everyone knew our WR corps was lacking, and I understand that when your QB situation is tenuous it can be tough to lure them, but I just can't comprehend the lack of moves in general in FA. The moves that were made do not add up with the statements of 'trying to win now and in the future'. They do line up with an evaluation year and the results are what they are.

As I said though, this is his chance to rectify that. We have more cash and there is plenty of room for improvement on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, MJS said:

Some people seem to take offense to the fact that McDermott is religious and claps a lot.

I am glad McClappity shows life over there tbh. He is a culture guy and I think the team does reflect that. By all accounts we have a good locker room, that is on coach. Look at Pittsburgh right now. Weak coach, ***** locker room.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The draft was fine. I heavily disagreed with the last few picks, but late rounders are long shots anyway. But free agency was mediocre at best and trending more towards poor. He knew well in advance about Wood, still traded away Cordy, and knew pretty early on about Richie. Still, the OL moves were abysmal. Everyone knew our WR corps was lacking, and I understand that when your QB situation is tenuous it can be tough to lure them, but I just can't comprehend the lack of moves in general in FA. The moves that were made do not add up with the statements of 'trying to win now and in the future'. They do line up with an evaluation year and the results are what they are.

As I said though, this is his chance to rectify that. We have more cash and there is plenty of room for improvement on the roster.

So I don't entirely disagree with you here, but in looking at last year (also Beane's first full year as GM), what were the FA moves you would have preferred we made and were they even possible at the times when Beane was supposedly knowledgeable about Wood and Incognito? It was also well documented that Beane pursued WR talent, and a top name FA in John Brown turned us down for Baltimore. What other WR(s) would you have preferred we bring in and how do we know Beane didn't extend an offer or consider them? On that thread, how many other FAs (or subjectively speaking, better FAs) did we tender offers to or at least pursue/consider and came up empty? We just aren't going to hear about every move attempting to be made.

In terms of the moves that were made - it's also been well-established that Star's impact at one-tech was vital to our DL this year and whether or not he's worth the price tag for that role is up to each individual and how much they know our defensive system and how much it relies on his execution of that role. All in all, Star would not be a failed FA signing, it's only debatable in terms of the contract he was offered. Trent could go either way as well, another graded better than the eye test may sway, but was needed after the uncertainty along the line and was likely cheaper, low hanging fruit with injury history, but still had potential upside. Ivory was a welcomed addition that became the perfect 2 to Shady's 1, and eventually held his own as the 1 when asked. Nothing exhilarating but our OL wasn't going to help any RB this year. Bodine seemed to be reactive more than anything, but by historical standards was an average OL in the league. He didn't pan out for us at Center, something he wasn't primarily asked to do in the NFL, but I agree wasn't our best signing. Regardless, McCarron and Vontae were the true failures after all was said and done, but no one called the Vontae issue, and most saw it as vital veteran depth at a position of roster uncertainty.

I don't mean this as an attack, but as a board, I've seen this too often, myself included, and I had to stop and ask these questions too. Not so much in defense of Beane, but just in terms of accurately assessing what exactly hit the fan this past year. I also don't mean to excuse every decision the FO/HC made either, but I can't imagine it was a scenario in which we could clearly say that more could have been done, rather than the best was done that could have been, and now is the time to address the issues we know exist in the best way we can. 

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, ctk232 said:

So I don't entirely disagree with you here, but in looking at last year (also Beane's first full year as GM), what were the FA moves you would have preferred we made and were they even possible at the times when Beane was supposedly knowledgeable about Wood and Incognito? It was also well documented that Beane pursued WR talent, and a top name FA in John Brown turned us down for Baltimore. What other WR(s) would you have preferred we bring in and how do we know Beane didn't extend an offer or consider them? On that thread, how many other FAs (or subjectively speaking, better FAs) did we tender offers to or at least pursue/consider and came up empty? We just aren't going to hear about every move attempting to be made.

In terms of the moves that were made - it's also been well-established that Star's impact at one-tech was vital to our DL this year and whether or not he's worth the price tag for that role is up to each individual and how much they know our defensive system and how much it relies on his execution of that role. All in all, Star would not be a failed FA signing, it's only debatable in terms of the contract he was offered. Trent could go either way as well, another graded better than the eye test may sway, but was needed after the uncertainty along the line and was likely cheaper, low hanging fruit with injury history, but still had potential upside. Ivory was a welcomed addition that became the perfect 2 to Shady's 1, and eventually held his own as the 1 when asked. Nothing exhilarating but our OL wasn't going to help any RB this year. Bodine seemed to be reactive more than anything, but by historical standards was an average OL in the league. He didn't pan out for us at Center, something he wasn't primarily asked to do in the NFL, but I agree wasn't our best signing. Regardless, McCarron and Vontae were the true failures after all was said and done, but no one called the Vontae issue, and most saw it as vital veteran depth at a position of roster uncertainty.

I don't mean this as an attack, but as a board, I've seen this too often, myself included, and I had to stop and ask these questions too. Not so much in defense of Beane, but just in terms of accurately assessing what exactly hit the fan this past year. I also don't mean to excuse every decision the FO/HC made either, but I can't imagine it was a scenario in which we could clearly say that more could have been done, rather than the best was done that could have been, and now is the time to address the issues we know exist in the best way we can.

We knew about Wood before the 2017 playoffs. Richie told the NFLPA he was done with football on 4/10, and we placed him on the retired list on 4/12.  If you want to know who I wanted you can look at my post history. I always have offseason plans and ideas, and generally they have substance and numbers behind them.

Star was fine. I wouldn't say vital, but he was fine. Murphy coming off his injury was a waste of money, Vontae was a complete waste of money, and the plan at QB was risky at best and more realistically asinine. 3 QBs with a combined 5 starts, one of which had the worst half in NFL history. Bodine was a player that Bengals fans were thrilled was leaving the team and Newhouse was a complete non-factor. The Corey Coleman move was understandable, but ultimately a waste of money.

Murphy, Davis, McCarron, Coleman, Bodine, and Newhouse cost us $14.76M in 2018 Cap. If you don't think the could have been spent better on someone like an Andrew Norwell or Mike Pouncey or Austin Howard, that's fine. Similarly, they could have spent on Vinny Curry or Adrian Clayborn. From the WR front, I was very high on Taylor Gabriel (who went for quite a bit), Markus Wheaton, or Kendall Wright. It was beyond obvious that the team needed speed, which the FO finally figured out around week 10 or so. I have very little faith in this FO's ability to assess offensive talent.

14 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We knew about Wood before the 2017 playoffs. Richie told the NFLPA he was done with football on 4/10, and we placed him on the retired list on 4/12.  If you want to know who I wanted you can look at my post history. I always have offseason plans and ideas, and generally they have substance and numbers behind them.

Star was fine. I wouldn't say vital, but he was fine. Murphy coming off his injury was a waste of money, Vontae was a complete waste of money, and the plan at QB was risky at best and more realistically asinine. 3 QBs with a combined 5 starts, one of which had the worst half in NFL history. Bodine was a player that Bengals fans were thrilled was leaving the team and Newhouse was a complete non-factor. The Corey Coleman move was understandable, but ultimately a waste of money.

Murphy, Davis, McCarron, Coleman, Bodine, and Newhouse cost us $14.76M in 2018 Cap. If you don't think the could have been spent better on someone like an Andrew Norwell or Mike Pouncey or Austin Howard, that's fine. Similarly, they could have spent on Vinny Curry or Adrian Clayborn. From the WR front, I was very high on Taylor Gabriel (who went for quite a bit), Markus Wheaton, or Kendall Wright. It was beyond obvious that the team needed speed, which the FO finally figured out around week 10 or so. I have very little faith in this FO's ability to assess offensive talent.

Thanks for entertaining the questions - and don't entirely disagree with you here. I agree they could have handled the QB situation better, to a point, and assumed AJ would be the established vet he wasn't, instead forcing themselves into a corner, especially when Allen got injured. If the goal was to sit Allen for a year, then in those terms, yes it was an overall failure. But he did end up starting, and through the well-established growing pains we all knew we would see, ended up trending on a positive note for the future and left many of us here hopeful for the next couple of seasons. So I can't sit here and say the QB situation was a complete disaster, as they were responsible for identifying Allen at least, but while you have every right to be skeptical, the track record is not quite there yet on offensive talent evaluation to say definitively. Likely more so after this season and next.

I'll agree to disagree on Star as I think his contract is outweighing his role performance to many, but is still a valid point of contention. And the resulting product of Murphy was overall lackluster and injury prone - but contributed when active to a point of influence, but not dominance for the contract. And you're right, anyone of us would have loved to have seen Norwell, Pouncey, or Gabriel on the team. Again I'd have to check, but even if we entertained an offer for them, we wouldn't know for sure whether they turned us down, or if we even made an attempt to sign them to begin with.

They decided to take a chance on adding a few guys that we could see the red flags for beforehand, but couldn't fully predict the end result, Vontae being the exception as no one saw that stunt coming. Either way, I can see reason for skepticism based upon this past year, but I can't bring complete judgment on a GM in his first year after one round of FA, and determine complete lack of faith in assessing offensive talent - would seem quite the extreme in that regard. Granted, I did come into the season expecting 6-10, or like record, and didn't expect anything more, which may very well be clouding my judgment of Beane here. But I'd prefer a dataset of greater than a single year is all. 

10 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Thanks for entertaining the questions - and don't entirely disagree with you here. I agree they could have handled the QB situation better, to a point, and assumed AJ would be the established vet he wasn't, instead forcing themselves into a corner, especially when Allen got injured. If the goal was to sit Allen for a year, then in those terms, yes it was an overall failure. But he did end up starting, and through the well-established growing pains we all knew we would see, ended up trending on a positive note for the future and left many of us here hopeful for the next couple of seasons. So I can't sit here and say the QB situation was a complete disaster, as they were responsible for identifying Allen at least, but while you have every right to be skeptical, the track record is not quite there yet on offensive talent evaluation to say definitively. Likely more so after this season and next.

I'll agree to disagree on Star as I think his contract is outweighing his role performance to many, but is still a valid point of contention. And the resulting product of Murphy was overall lackluster and injury prone - but contributed when active to a point of influence, but not dominance for the contract. And you're right, anyone of us would have loved to have seen Norwell, Pouncey, or Gabriel on the team. Again I'd have to check, but even if we entertained an offer for them, we wouldn't know for sure whether they turned us down, or if we even made an attempt to sign them to begin with.

They decided to take a chance on adding a few guys that we could see the red flags for beforehand, but couldn't fully predict the end result, Vontae being the exception as no one saw that stunt coming. Either way, I can see reason for skepticism based upon this past year, but I can't bring complete judgment on a GM in his first year after one round of FA, and determine complete lack of faith in assessing offensive talent - would seem quite the extreme in that regard. Granted, I did come into the season expecting 6-10, or like record, and didn't expect anything more, which may very well be clouding my judgment of Beane here. But I'd prefer a dataset of greater than a single year is all. 

another reasonable post from you

: )
My opinion ?

I hope they are learning/ developing  better skills to acquire more effective players via FA.
Maybe i am in the minority ? But i like the way College scouting is trending up,

This offseason should be fun. 

as a Bills fan? that's when hope blossoms and is kind of exciting for me.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

another reasonable post from you

: )
My opinion ?

I hope they are learning/ developing  better skills to acquire more effective players via FA.
Maybe i am in the minority ? But i like the way College scouting is trending up,

This offseason should be fun. 

as a Bills fan? that's when hope blossoms and is kind of exciting for me.

For sure - and to be honest, while they don't hold the ultimate decision making power - I do trust our talent evaluation from the scouting level based upon our most recent drafts. The one thing I don't know is how much of a role Marv played in those discussions and evaluations which may change those draft outcomes moving forward.