McBeane Confidence Update

McBeane Confidence   

252 members have voted

1. 1. How much confidence do you have that Sean McDermott will be a successful head coach for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

2. 2. How much confidence do you have that Brandon Beane will be a successful GM for the Buffalo Bills within the next 2-3 years?

60-80, 60-80.  Not sure. 2 years, one playoff appearance, look to have acquired a franchise QB and have lots of cap room and draft picks.  One of the best pass defenses in the league to go along with it.  Not sure why anyone would be less than 60% 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I ran this poll back in October, with the results posted below. Now that the season has ended, I'm interested to see how answers have changed. 

poll.PNG

Polls of this type, at this forum, don't mean much, b/c the average poster here is apt to love anything to do with the team, at any current moment in time.

The people who mock Rex now loved him when he was hired.  The people who mock Whaley now supported his talent for player evaluation when he was GM.  The people who hate on Kiko Alonso now loved him when he played for the Bills and were shocked to hear he was involved in a trade off the team so early in his career. 

And so on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Polls of this type, at this forum, don't mean much, b/c the average poster here is apt to love anything to do with the team, at any current moment in time.

The people who mock Rex now loved him when he was hired.  The people who mock Whaley now supported his talent for player evaluation when he was GM.  The people who hate on Kiko Alonso now loved him when he played for the Bills and were shocked to hear he was involved in a trade off the team so early in his career. 

And so on.

You haven't been around here much, have you? If anything, this board is way to critical of what/whoever the current regime happens to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm at about 80% for Beane. I think he's an intelligent guy, and am excited to see what he does going forward.

I like McDermott, but I'm not nearly as confident in him as I am in Beane. I'd say 50%. His decision making in game worries me, and I'll be curious to see what he can do offensively if Daboll ends up leaving.

Happy with the team and staff we have, though. Josh is in a fine situation, and I think we'll be ultimately pleased with the team throughout the regime's tenure.

60-80 for McD, 80-100 for Beane.  McD needs to break out of his conservative shell, and the only personnel move Beane has made that I questioned was trading McCarron for a 5th and going into the season with just Josh and Peterman and no vet.  In retrospect, it seems to have worked pretty well, but at the time, highly questionable. 

• Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting to visit this after free agency.   We all hope they will make good moves and we figure the reason they have not done well on Offense with Free agents is due to money.   Money is not the issue so its time to put up.   Lets hope we can get a good line through FA so we can draft skill positions and be able to manage the cap well!  Go Bills!!!

Until I've got my dancing reps in I'll just reply here:  60-80% on both as well.  They've made mistakes, some head slapping moves in both years have also found some real diamonds in the rough.

RE: Beane, not quite sure about his pro personnel operation because I'm not sold on the free agent signings over the last 2 years (and I don't hate Star at all, liked the signing, but agree he's not quite the game changing run stuffing, 2 blocker eraser I was expecting).  I am however encouraged by what seems to be their "under the radar" or even scrap heap type pickups (Wallace, Foster).  In two years (I know he didn't run the draft in year one, but I'll lump it together) it just "feels" they are hitting on more picks than I've seen with other regimes.  I realize this is probably wish-fulfillment type thinking but my hazy memories of drafts throughout the drought were good player here, good player there with nothing in bunches.  Contrast to what I think has been a solid 2 draft haul to build the core of a good, young defense, and a potential franchise QB who has given fans hope heading into next year.

RE: McDermott, very conservative, but most coaches are.  He seems to get the most out of marginal NFL type talents, and motivation is probably a strength.  Interested to see if he can learn from and correct his mistakes, there have been some discouraging signs but it's early.  Would like to see how well he does with a (hopefully vastly) improved roster/offense.  Really seems like a partnership with Beane (what Rex said about Whaley buying the groceries and Rex making the meal, except McBeane actually do this).  Let's see how they spend that stack of grocery money this year; I'm onboard with being judicious and rolling what they can into 2020 to set the stage for resigning the core.

Excited to see Beane, McDermott, Allen and the defense's progress in 2019.

Edited by technobot

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure they have 2-3 years.

Need a good season next year. If not, they may both be gone. 

I think the question should be is "how much confidence do you have that both will be successful next season?"

Just click 0-20 and move along...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure they have 2-3 years.

Need a good season next year. If not, they may both be gone. 

I think the question should be is "how much confidence do you have that both will be successful next season?"

They won't be gone next year.  The only way that happens is if there is a team mutiny and give up on the coach and the odds of that happening are extremely low.

Unlike you Scotty, fans and ownership are happy with both of them and their jobs are very secure at this time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

60-80, 60-80.  Not sure. 2 years, one playoff appearance, look to have acquired a franchise QB and have lots of cap room and draft picks.  One of the best best defenses in the league to go along with it.  Not sure why anyone would be less than 60% 

Some people seem to take offense to the fact that McDermott is religious and claps a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Lmao. Did you just start following this team? 

Fans and ownership are happy until when they are expected to win they blow.

See the past two plus decades. 

Which have zero relevance to this team....

• Like (+1) 2