Cleveland Browns to hire Freddie Kitchens as HC

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Frankly, I think Kitchens is a mistake.

I understand why they did it. And really it's a case of them almost having to promote him...but my opinion is he was just a guy in the right place at the right time.

No proof, but would it shock anyone if Todd Haley had sandbagged the Brown offense on purpose? May have figured he was a shoo in for interm coach when Hue was fired and then he just "fixes" the offense and poof interm label is removed. 

Interesting that Haley seemingly has vanished into thin air.., haven’t heard his name brought up at all. I wonder if he surfaces as an OC somewhere. 

Maybe Cincy if Munchak gets the HC job? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Sean McVay never was a head coach, until he was. 

Bill Belichick was never a head coach, until he was. 

I've never understood the whole "You have to have head coaching experience to be a head coach" mentality. I mean it helps, yes.... But how does one get head coaching experience if you have to have head coaching experience to become a head coach in the first place? I'm not saying Kitchens is the next McVay or Belichick... But how else do you learn, if not on the fly (if you've never done it before)

They held coordinator positions for at least a period of time longer than a few games...

McVay for 2 years and Bellichick for longer than that. McVay was universally thought of aa a brilliant offensive mind.

IMHO teams are trying to take the closest thing they can find to McVay and hope they get the same results...but its like taking a random receiver because they run the same 40 time and hoping they become Jerry Rice...those types of coaches/players are very rare.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1