Cleveland Browns to hire Freddie Kitchens as HC

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Well...running an offense is a lot different than running the team, making tons of non football decisions and having them take up huge amounts of your time, knowing how to hold other coaches accountable and how to interact with them as the leader.

With no real experience with any of this all I can say is good luck. My prediction is they realize he is in way over his head pretty quickly.

Prior to coming to Cleveland last season Bruce Arians has been grooming Kitchens to take over as HC in AZ when he left. So he’s had some exposure to those things. 

21 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

So is this another one Greg William's will claim he "turned down'

Nope, just reality!

23 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I wouldn’t.   

The defense is doing well enough these past 2 seasons.  

It can do better! Remember the blow out losses in September? Like it or not, Greg Williams is one of the best DC in the NFL: always has been!

Just now, CDogg20 said:

I don’t understand. If this was the move all along, why not do this the second they booted Hue out the door? 

Apparently they thought Gregg was the right fit as interim since he had HC experience, but then Kitchens really impressed the Browns brass over his 8 week stint as OC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought that about ALynn when he went to the Chargers.  Man, this guy has been running backs coach, has a partial season as OC and one game at HC, he's way over his head.  Now we're talking about "the coach that got away" and the Chargers have a chance to take out the Patriots.

Wasn't Kitchens officially "running backs coach and associate head coach" at the start of the season?

Maybe he's over his head, or maybe he's got this.

Holy crap!  From Wiki: " In 2013, Kitchens underwent emergency surgery to repair an aortic dissection.[6] "

Then you dont understand that when you are made an assistant head coach that its to groom them to be a head coach some day. Lynn held this title for many years. Its not just for show. He went to meetings with Ryan, saw all the mundane things the HC had to do, probably was asked his opinion on what he would do, etc...he was mentored into the role and was ready for it when the opportunity came.

Kitchens had none of this and was rushed into it. If you think there is any real comparison to what Lynn did then you are crazy.

Lynn the one who got away? Honestly I think what McDermott has accomplished her is equally if not MORE impressive based on what he had to work with.  Lynn has a future HOF QB to start with and one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. What the hell did McDermott have? A bunch of spare parts and starter turnover unlike any other team the past 2 years.

Who made the playoffs their first year? Hint...not the guy with the franchise QB or one of the most talented rosters...

30 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Great move. From everything I’ve read, he’s had the most to do with Baker’s development so far.

Unfortunately being a head coach concerns a whole lot more than that...most of which he has never dealt with. Good luck is all I will say. 

He is in way over his head right now. The NFL is not a place you learn on the fly as a head coach.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Then you dont understand that when you are made an assistant head coach that its to groom them to be a head coach some day. Lynn held this title for many years. Its not just for show. He went to meetings with Ryan, saw all the mundane things the HC had to do, probably was asked his opinion on what he would do, etc...he was mentored into the role and was ready for it when the opportunity came.

Kitchens had none of this and was rushed into it. If you think there is any real comparison to what Lynn did then you are crazy.

Lynn the one who got away? Honestly I think what McDermott has accomplished her is equally if not MORE impressive based on what he had to work with.  Lynn has a future HOF QB to start with and one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. What the hell did McDermott have? A bunch of spare parts and starter turnover unlike any other team the past 2 years.

Who made the playoffs their first year? Hint...not the guy with the franchise QB or one of the most talented rosters...

Unfortunately being a head coach concerns a whole lot more than that...most of which he has never dealt with. Good luck is all I will say. 

He is in way over his head right now. The NFL is not a place you learn on the fly as a head coach.

Sean McVay never was a head coach, until he was. 

Bill Belichick was never a head coach, until he was. 

I've never understood the whole "You have to have head coaching experience to be a head coach" mentality. I mean it helps, yes.... But how does one get head coaching experience if you have to have head coaching experience to become a head coach in the first place? I'm not saying Kitchens is the next McVay or Belichick... But how else do you learn, if not on the fly (if you've never done it before)

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is a good hire for the Browns. You could see the chemistry between he and Mayfield. Build on that going into the 2nd year, bring in a competent DC, and the Browns are moving up in that division. 

Frankly, I think Kitchens is a mistake.

I understand why they did it. And really it's a case of them almost having to promote him...but my opinion is he was just a guy in the right place at the right time.

No proof, but would it shock anyone if Todd Haley had sandbagged the Brown offense on purpose? May have figured he was a shoo in for interm coach when Hue was fired and then he just "fixes" the offense and poof interm label is removed.