Cleveland Browns to hire Freddie Kitchens as HC

YoloinOhio

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I can't help but feel like one of LaFleur, Kingsbury, Kitchens is going to be the next "McVey" and the other ones are going to be a complete dumpster fire, and I don't know which it will be (but in fairness, I'm not sure the teams do either). 

I think LaFluer. He is stepping into a really great situation with a quarterback like Rodgers. 

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

AGREED. They made a great decision and retain the coach-QB chemistry. A SMART move... great GM, up and coming team with a roster coming together nicely, and of course Browns fans are passionate and patient if the progress continues.

Sorry, at first glance my mind immediately thought you wrote "process." ;) 

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The Dirk Koetter special. Afraid your OC who seemed to be doing well with your rookie QB would leave, so you promote him to be your new HC. Obviously they'll hope this works out better than it did in Tampa.

From what Cowherd is saying Kitchens has never been a HC at any level, even high school. I hope it works out for the Browns they have some likeable players. 

Little surprised by this.  Figured if they stayed in house Gregg would keep the gig after he made a pretty good difference with that team.  Although Gregg is an easy guy to dislike, so maybe they didn’t want him leading a team with their young QB

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I'm dead serious, this is a nice move by Cleveland.

After reading what he has been able to do recently this is obviously not the sexy choice, but probably better overall for development and team continuity.

Most Browns fans i know wanted him

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

To make it seem more official:

To me this seems very harsh.

The guy inherits the greatest train wreck in NFL history, goes 4-3 (I think) and then gets sacked as both interim HC and DC?

If it were Buffalo, I'd be pretty disappointed.

19 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The Dirk Koetter special. Afraid your OC who seemed to be doing well with your rookie QB would leave, so you promote him to be your new HC. Obviously they'll hope this works out better than it did in Tampa.

Making the right coordinator hires will be even more critical for him then (credit goes here to Captain Obvious who did a heckuva research job for this post), as a resource to assist getting up to speed. Look at the Falcons of late for an extreme example of this--both Koetter and Mularkey back in the fold there under Quinn. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

To make it seem more official:

The situation with Gregg is he wanted to stay as HC, or not come back. He likely asked to be cut loose as soon as he knew he wasn’t getting it so he could quickly pursue a DC job elsewhere. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up with Kingsbury, who could use his experience. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The situation with Gregg is he wanted to stay as HC, or not come back. He likely asked to be cut loose as soon as he knew he wasn’t getting it so he could quickly pursue a DC job elsewhere. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up with Kingsbury, who could use his experience. 

Kingsbury is looking to the Texas State HC to be his OC

No way could Gregg be part of the kitchens staff 

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The defensive guys continue to get shutout. Will they go 0/8?

Fangio to Denver & looks like Richard to Miami

Edited by Reed83HOF

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Perhaps Kitchens didn't want Gregg on his staff?

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, Gregg probably shouldn’t have turned down every head job. He’s running out of options.