Just got a stadium survey from the Bills

Let's assume Pegulas pony up $250 million.  This amount is matched by the league per the current CBA.  The last set of renovations cost $130 million.  If we added that figure in (financed the same way as before) we can build a very nice stadium without socking it to the everyday fans, or taxpayers a whole lot.  

6 hours ago, bbb said:

A couple of years ago they made upgrades and kept talking about wider concourses.  I don't know if I just got fatter, but the concourses seemed the same, and that's about my only complaint about the stadium.

I think your memory is off base.  They can't easily widen the concourses because most of that area is underground.  What they did do in the last renovation was add stairways up and out of the concourses to reduce congestion.  

Different subject here, why are so many people in this thread referring to New Era as "Rich"?

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Different subject here, why are so many people in this thread referring to New Era as "Rich"?

The serious answer is because that’s what the stadium was originally called when it first opened in 1973...and for all of us old timers it will always be Rich Stadium to us. The sarcastic answer is...really?

It will come down to budget. A new stadium will be more expensive than a renovated one. And a new stadium on a new downtown site will be more expensive than a new stadium built in the parking lot at Orchard Park. And a dome downtown stadium will be the most expensive of all options. Each option will be close to $200 million above the one just below it, so it’s all going to rest on the available sources of funds. Public money, Pegula (Bills) money, Fan money.

12 hours ago, dlonce said:

New stadium with retractable roof. Only one question pertaining to that.

Old guy here will not go to many games. Put a dome on a new stadium and I’ll purchase a Loge for 3-7 years, might even buy a 30 year PSL and will it to my kids.

I cannot stand the drive, the elements and massive cluster ***** of leaving the stadium. Offer me entertainment venues and restaurants and we stay after the game.

Pegulas need to stop with this dinosaur in Orchard Park and build a stadium closer to Buffalo, not in a friggin cow pasture.

It was actually built on wheat fields. The ECC side was corn and sometime cabbage fields. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

One of my questions asked me to rate the importance of numerous features. Two of the features were wider corridors and restroom accessibility. I put “Extremely Important “ for both of those. 

I did the same. 

One other thing I'm not sure people give complete thought to is the issue of "open areas" which was part of the survey.  While having lounges and open areas to go to seems nice on the surface - in reality it potentially ends up leaving a bunch of empty seats in the stands with a large group of people just sitting watching the game on couches/TVs.  If overdone it can really take away from the "packed crowd" experience/advantage.

Bring a downtown to the current stadium. Something like Patriot Place. Theres a nice collection of shops restaurants , bars a couple hotels and a movie theater.

You could build that redo the interior of current stadium for half the cost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Bring a downtown to the current stadium. Something like Patriot Place. Theres a nice collection of shops restaurants , bars a couple hotels and a movie theater.

You could build that redo the interior of current stadium for half the cost.

This doesn't get rid of the whole tailgate fiasco that I am sure the Bills and the NFL have on their minds. Some cities can handle tailgating (Kansas City) and not make a$$es out of themselves. Buffalo has shown that, while our tailgates are legendary, we can not handle it. I am sure they would like a stadium downtown so they can limit and try to avoid the huge parking lots conducive to tailgating and debauchery.

48 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

This doesn't get rid of the whole tailgate fiasco that I am sure the Bills and the NFL have on their minds. Some cities can handle tailgating (Kansas City) and not make a$$es out of themselves. Buffalo has shown that, while our tailgates are legendary, we can not handle it. I am sure they would like a stadium downtown so they can limit and try to avoid the huge parking lots conducive to tailgating and debauchery.

The raising of ticket prices would probably take care of that. It has in almost every city that has spent money on a stadium.

Remember a small percent of the revenue comes from actual ticket sales.

The Bills-specific survey asks questions regarding fans' interest in professional and college sports, how often they buy tickets, their preferences for types of seating, interest in various stadium amenities, tailgating habits, tolerance for different price points in either a new or renovated stadium, and willingness to pay more for premium amenities.

It also asks whether the survey taker believes the Buffalo market would support either a new or renovated Bills stadium, and whether the survey taker would personally support a new stadium or renovated New Era Field. And it asks whether the survey taker would be willing to pay more for tickets at a new stadium rather than a renovated stadium.

The survey floats multiple pricing options for lower-level and upper-level seats and asks survey takers how likely they would be to buy season tickets at that price point. There were also questions about the willingness to purchase a personal seat license, or PSL, that would give the buyer rights for up to seven years to purchase season tickets for a particular seat or set of seats.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/09/bills-season-ticket-holders-do-you-want-a-new-or-renovated-stadium/

One thing that I love about Rich/RWS/NEF is the fact that the lower bowl is actually below-ground.  You come into the stadium at mid-level and walk down to lower-bowl or up to upper-deck.  So many stadiums are built just up from ground level and if you're in the upper deck you have to go up 3/4/5 levels of escalators & stairs.  Takes forever to get up to and down from seats.

Also makes it easier for those winds to get in there and swirl around - now THAT is a home-field advantage to know those.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the future of NFL stadiums will be like the stadium the Chargers are playing in this year. (Dignity Health Sports Park, 27,000 seats.) 

A lot less seats but a stadium that is chok full of modern amenities.  Is there a need to build a 60,000 seat venue when fans have a variety of great choices to watch the game now?  

Teams will have to decide between a 60,000 seat venue where they struggle to fill them for games or a 30,000 seat venue where fans fill it easily.  

While I don't necessarily like the idea, I foresee a new Bills stadium being 30,000 seats in a fieldhouse format, attached to a multi-use facility (hotels/conference center).  This way, the stadium can support a variety of sports, is right sized for those sports, and gives the facility opportunity to have demand 365/24/7.  

9 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think the future of NFL stadiums will be like the stadium the Chargers are playing in this year. (Dignity Health Sports Park, 27,000 seats.) 

A lot less seats but a stadium that is chok full of modern amenities.  Is there a need to build a 60,000 seat venue when fans have a variety of great choices to watch the game now?  

Teams will have to decide between a 60,000 seat venue where they struggle to fill them for games or a 30,000 seat venue where fans fill it easily.  

While I don't necessarily like the idea, I foresee a new Bills stadium being 30,000 seats in a fieldhouse format, attached to a multi-use facility (hotels/conference center).  This way, the stadium can support a variety of sports, is right sized for those sports, and gives the facility opportunity to have demand 365/24/7.  

The smaller stadium is an interesting point. At what size would it make sense to combine both the bills and sabres under 1 roof?

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

The raising of ticket prices would probably take care of that. It has in almost every city that has spent money on a stadium.

Remember a small percent of the revenue comes from actual ticket sales.

wont change a thing. people will still show up just to party and throw people through tables then watch the game at bars or at home or not at all

This survey means nothing.  If I was a betting man, I'd bet the house that the Pegula's have already decided not only what kind of stadium they want(open air or dome), but also the location.

Just my guess...it will end up being a dome stadium(no retractable roof) somewhere near the Key Bank Center.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The cost alone would probably price people out. Buffalo is unique and you take that away without the tailgating. Some of you apparently want this above all else, but I know that a lot of people enjoy it. This team has been miserable for 20years and no comfy seat would keep the stadium full for that long. 

There will be tailgating still but they will probably limit to the Bills own lots so they can police it better. As far as a downtown stadium and traffic, thats why they will build a bunch of restaurants, bars and hotels around it. To keep people around after the game. For the out of towners they are hoping people will make a weekend of it. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

This survey means nothing.  If I was a betting man, I'd bet the house that the Pegula's have already decided not only what kind of stadium they want(open air or dome), but also the location.

Just my guess...it will end up being a dome stadium(no retractable roof) somewhere near the Key Bank Center.

Perry complex is pretty much empty at this point right? A lot of infrastructure work would need to be done but they could certainly plop it right there