Just got a stadium survey from the Bills

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

There will be tailgating still but they will probably limit to the Bills own lots so they can police it better. As far as a downtown stadium and traffic, thats why they will build a bunch of restaurants, bars and hotels around it. To keep people around after the game. For the out of towners they are hoping people will make a weekend of it. 

There needs to be major upgrades to the roads and other mass transit to support a downtown stadium. It would be really cool to have a waterfront stadium like Baltimore, but I'm not sure they can do it without ruining the other updates the city has made. Canal side and the outer harbor are really coming along and a stadium there would probably just take away from that. If they can figure it out and not try to bankrupt the city that would be awesome. 

19 hours ago, dlonce said:

New stadium with retractable roof. Only one question pertaining to that.

Old guy here will not go to many games. Put a dome on a new stadium and I’ll purchase a Loge for 3-7 years, might even buy a 30 year PSL and will it to my kids.

I cannot stand the drive, the elements and massive cluster ***** of leaving the stadium. Offer me entertainment venues and restaurants and we stay after the game.

Pegulas need to stop with this dinosaur in Orchard Park and build a stadium closer to Buffalo, not in a friggin cow pasture.

I agree almost 100% with you.  I'm a fan of the Bills....and I can be just as big of a fan watching on a high-def screen at home or by sitting in the Stadium. I haven't been to a home game in years though.  What would get me out there again is a shorter drive (from the northtowns), a roof over my head (climate controlled in the entire stadium) and just a nicer area to hang out in before and after the games.  Tailgating is great for some people, but I'd personally rather have a wide variety of restaurants/clubs/bars within walking distance of the game.

5 hours ago, Chris66 said:

The raising of ticket prices would probably take care of that. It has in almost every city that has spent money on a stadium.

Remember a small percent of the revenue comes from actual ticket sales.

Unless the NFL is throwing in the towel on the appearance of a "full" stadium for television purposes Joe Low Brow will have a seat at the stadium for the foreseeable future.  It's going to take time to sell more well to do potential seat buyers on the idea that the Bills have found the answer to underperforming teams.  It can be done with a far reaching draw outside of Buffalo itself.  

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

There needs to be major upgrades to the roads and other mass transit to support a downtown stadium. It would be really cool to have a waterfront stadium like Baltimore, but I'm not sure they can do it without ruining the other updates the city has made. Canal side and the outer harbor are really coming along and a stadium there would probably just take away from that. If they can figure it out and not try to bankrupt the city that would be awesome. 

Modifying a downtown site just to have the necessary roadways, parking, municipal support (cops and fire fighting) and utilities has been estimated to cost around 100-150 million dollars of which neither Buffalo nor Erie County has.  That money would be better used for the chunk down to build a new facility in OP.

• Like (+1) 1

..some of the renovation costs cited here certainly are in the ballpark of what it cost to build Lucas Oil Field (ie. Soldier Field)... built in 2008 at a cost of $720 million or $843 mil in 2018 dollars......Lucas Oil sponsorship deal is 20 years for $122 mil.....which brings you close to a net cost of $720 mil today...you make the call...........

15 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

those are all the things that would be rectified with a retro fit.Green Bay has fantastic corridors, great new restrooms..place was awesome and done for like $250M. 

I don’t see how the corridors can be widened, nor more restrooms added, but then I’m neither an architect nor engineer.

in any case, Lambeau Field is historic, as is Soldiers Field.  It seems like a ridiculous waste of money to dump $250 million into Rich.

JMO

23 hours ago, dlonce said:

New stadium with retractable roof. Only one question pertaining to that.

Old guy here will not go to many games. Put a dome on a new stadium and I’ll purchase a Loge for 3-7 years, might even buy a 30 year PSL and will it to my kids.

I cannot stand the drive, the elements and massive cluster ***** of leaving the stadium. Offer me entertainment venues and restaurants and we stay after the game.

Pegulas need to stop with this dinosaur in Orchard Park and build a stadium closer to Buffalo, not in a friggin cow pasture.

Any stadium downtown will have bigger massive cluster dlonce of leaving the stadium.  Infrastructure will not support it.

And no dinosaurs will not be extinct.

23 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

my wife does!!!

just to cater to you old farts? Think it's bad leaving Orchard park? Wait till ya see what its like leaving downtown. 

I think the solution is to put a graveyard on top of hill by stadium so he can have view of game.

20 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

If you didn't say sightlines are very important I'm pissed at you.

It was only thing which I said was extremely important.  After being in several of the new "prize hogs" and barely able to see the game I'd rather be outside watching than inside the bowels of a hog.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I don’t see how the corridors can be widened, nor more restrooms added, but then I’m neither an architect nor engineer.

in any case, Lambeau Field is historic, as is Soldiers Field.  It seems like a ridiculous waste of money to dump $250 million into Rich.

JMO

Rich is historic at this point too!!! They can do it, how i don't know LOL. Sure they said the same thing bout Lambeau

7 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The smaller stadium is an interesting point. At what size would it make sense to combine both the bills and sabres under 1 roof?

A stadium that seats about 45,000 - 50,000...on a much smaller footprint in downtown is interesting.  You can still have a pretty big lot that allows for half the fans (if not more) to tailgate.

41 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Rich is historic at this point too!!! They can do it, how i don't know LOL. Sure they said the same thing bout Lambeau

Rich may be historic in the hearts of many Bills fans because of the games and players we watched there, but it’s a dinosaur to the rest of the country.  It was designed by the same firm that designed NE’s Sullivan Stadium, and the Patriots had no problem replacing that POS as soon as they possibly could.

Don't misconstrue my remarks - I LOVE Rich, but just as War Memorial had to come down, so it’s time for Rich to do the same.  I’m sure the county can make a boatload of money subdividing the land.

Again, JMHO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

A stadium that seats about 45,000 - 50,000...on a much smaller footprint in downtown is interesting.  You can still have a pretty big lot that allows for half the fans (if not more) to tailgate.

I don’t think the demand for tickets could be satisfied at 45,000-50,000.  We’ve had more season ticket holders than that when we’re winning, or at least promising that we’re gonna be winning. ?

Also, the NFL requires a stadium capacity of at least 70,000 to host the Super Bowl.  So even if we build something that holds 65,000-68,000, which seem reasonable to me for a city our size, we still could never host a Super Bowl.

Not saying we will, or could, ever host the Super Bowl, because the NFL also requires sufficient hotel capacity to host the guests.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Stop confusing senile ranter with facts!  

And my family (grandparents) live next to stadium across from crick and raised ducks.

No senile creek here, " G". Where the stadium is was my neighborhood playground. And I did live next door to my grandparents. 

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

I don’t think the demand for tickets could be satisfied at 45,000-50,000.  We’ve had more season ticket holders than that when we’re winning, or at least promising that we’re gonna be winning. ?

Last number I recall was 60K. But we don't know how many of those are pure scalpers. Imagine telling 10,000 fans here's your nice new stadium, but we don't have enough seats now, so you're out.