Just got a stadium survey from the Bills

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Last number I recall was 60K. But we don't know how many of those are pure scalpers. Imagine telling 10,000 fans here's your nice new stadium, but we don't have enough seats now, so you're out. 

That happens at a lot of stadiums. Its called a waiting list. I believe green bay has the longest at 70 plus thousand.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:14 PM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The smaller stadium is an interesting point. At what size would it make sense to combine both the bills and sabres under 1 roof?

I'd explore it.  Everyone involved (taxpayers and the owners) would feel a lot better about the investment if it were utilized all the time.  

I'd want that venue designed to support the NFL, the NHL, NCAA tournaments and games, concerts, etc and have the hotels, restaurants, retail in it or around it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, The Senator said:

I don’t think the demand for tickets could be satisfied at 45,000-50,000.  We’ve had more season ticket holders than that when we’re winning, or at least promising that we’re gonna be winning. ?

Also, the NFL requires a stadium capacity of at least 70,000 to host the Super Bowl.  So even if we build something that holds 65,000-68,000, which seem reasonable to me for a city our size, we still could never host a Super Bowl.

Not saying we will, or could, ever host the Super Bowl, because the NFL also requires sufficient hotel capacity to host the guests.

...you would have a helluva time deriving a financial model based on 45K-50K that would ever support a new stadium investment with, let's say, a Lucas Oil Field type facility.....consider the economy of scale and the financial wherewithal of WNY NY for support.....necessary tix pricing AND seat licenses would not work......corporate suite sponsorship would never close the deficit....

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I'd explore it.  Everyone involved (taxpayers and the owners) would feel a lot better about the investment if it were utilized all the time.  

I'd want that venue designed to support the NFL, the NHL, NCAA tournaments and games, concerts, etc and have the hotels, restaurants, retail in it or around it.  

The utilization of it year round is what will make a new stadium possible in my opinion.

Problem I see is, I have a hard time seeing an NFL stadium smaller than 60k and an NHL arena more than 25k.

Overall I hope the pegulas get creative with this project

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...you would have a helluva time deriving a financial model based on 45K-50K that would ever support a new stadium investment with, let's say, a Lucas Oil Field type facility.....consider the economy of scale and the financial wherewithal of WNY NY for support.....necessary tix pricing AND seat licenses would not work......corporate suite sponsorship would never close the deficit....

Absolutely agree 100%.  Buffalo can’t afford a palace like AT&T Stadium etc., but a Lucas Oil type facility, with a few architectural enhancements and built to 70,000 capacity might be feasible.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I hope they renovate the current stadium but find a way to add a roof. 

I understand the “renovation opinion”, but personally think we’d be throwing good money after bad, for a stadium that, inevitably, will eventually need to be replaced.

i also don’t see how it’s even possible, structurally, to widen the corridors within the stadium’s existing footprint.  As we can observe, the corridors exist below the seats, and the rake of the corridor ceiling gets lower and lower as you approach the tunnels leading you back to your seat, to the point where it’s just a few feet from floor to ceiling. There is absolutely no way, structurally, to widen those corridors on the seat side, and to widen them from the outside would require enlarging the footprint.  You would basically have to do a total rebuild - i.e., build what would essentially be a new stadium, or just bite the bullet and build a new one on an adjacent site -  and I doubt it can be done for $250M.

JMO

On 1/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, The Senator said:

I don’t think the demand for tickets could be satisfied at 45,000-50,000.  We’ve had more season ticket holders than that when we’re winning, or at least promising that we’re gonna be winning. ?

Also, the NFL requires a stadium capacity of at least 70,000 to host the Super Bowl.  So even if we build something that holds 65,000-68,000, which seem reasonable to me for a city our size, we still could never host a Super Bowl.

Not saying we will, or could, ever host the Super Bowl, because the NFL also requires sufficient hotel capacity to host the guests.

In regards to stadium capacity, you can have a regular operating stadium capacity below that & still host a Super Bowl. 

State Farm Stadium in Arizona has a stadium capacity is 63,400, and they're just fine. Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis has a capacity of 67,000, and they're fine to host too. Even Minnesota's stadium only has a running capacity of just over 66,000. Granted, even with a great stadium it'd be unlikely Buffalo would ever host a Super Bowl, simply because it doesn't have the infrastructure to support an event of that magnitude. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

In regards to stadium capacity, you can have a regular operating stadium capacity below that & still host a Super Bowl. 

State Farm Stadium in Arizona has a stadium capacity is 63,400, and they're just fine. Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis has a capacity of 67,000, and they're fine to host too. Even Minnesota's stadium only has a running capacity of just over 66,000. Granted, even with a great stadium it'd be unlikely Buffalo would ever host a Super Bowl, simply because it doesn't have the infrastructure to support an event of that magnitude. 

All of the stadiums you mention were built with expansion capability to 70,000+.

In fact, the smallest you mention, State Farm, held 78,000+ for the 2016 FBS title game.

But you are right, Buffalo could never host the Big Game, and here’s why...

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/06/09/super-bowl-2018-requirements-minnesota-vikings

Edited by The Senator

• I like the Lucas stadium idea, but am still partial to doing what they did in /soldier Field and KC.  Really overhaul Rich Stadium, where you beautify the inside, place a partial roof over the third floow so you get the best of both, all heated seats, much more concessions with better choices, etc.  An open area to watch the game in a standing room area as it has been fun in other stadiums, and padded seats.  Between the state's contribution, plus the Pegulas it is doable.  If possible more suites if it is realistic to sell, and much better amenities for club seating.
  • I think it is much more cost effective as you don't have to change the infrastructure as the roads, etc. are fine for entering and exiting the stadium.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:
  • much more concessions with better choices,

is that really important in Buffalo? If tailgating is essential..why do we need better choices of food in the stadium? Beer..i understand, butjust sell a wider variety of can beer and we be all good!

43 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Thanks, I voiced my displeasure with renovating New Era wherever possible.  I will go to games when they have a new stadium, I won't go to the current dump full of drunks.

good..stay away. I am pretty sure by your comments that those of us who actually do go to games are happier without you there. Your "drunk" comments are old, misinformed and lazy...maybe like ???

Edited by plenzmd1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:47 PM, Just Jack said:

Last number I recall was 60K. But we don't know how many of those are pure scalpers. Imagine telling 10,000 fans here's your nice new stadium, but we don't have enough seats now, so you're out. 

Sort of like now where seats are bought up by scalpers with early access before non-season holders can buy them.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, The Senator said:

Another reason for Pegulas to tell them no we will not upgrade stadium until Superbowl is promised and we do not care how many owners who do get Superbowls repeatedly say.