Anyone with some positives dealing with the Big C?

Shamrock

Currently travelling well, though insomnia has kept me up tonite, find out test results tomorrow. Chemo not fun. Have been pretty positive, have had some slumps, lots of fatigue- way more than I ever thought. Any good news stories, some positives. Cheers.

Edited by Shamrock

2 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Currently travelling well, though insomnia has kept me up tonite, find out test results tomorrow. Chemo not fun. Have been pretty positive, have had some slumps, lots of fatigue- way more than I ever thought. Any good news stories, some positives. Cheers.

Good Luck!  My Mother-in-law was diagnosed in late November.  They still have not been able to identify where it originated as it has spread throughout her body (although they believe it might be the lungs) , they have not identified the type or stage either.  It's been frustrating not knowing any details after almost 2 months.  She started a generic chemo a couple Friday's ago and has treatment scheduled for a spot on the brain this week.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was diagnosed with melanoma 15 years ago.  Was caught very early - fortunate.  Thoughts and power to you

Positives

You learn a lot about yourself and what you can deal with / tolerate

You develop an appreciation for simple things

You will love your nurses / doctors (Take care of these folks as they have to work with this every day)

When finished with your treatment you will be a proponent for research / treatment

PM if you need to talk.  Stay strong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My dad had non-Hodgkin lymphoma last year.  They caught it early so no chemo, just radiation.  13 sessions, they killed the cancer.

Cancer free after his two 6 month up check ups since then.

Radiation made him tired and caused nerve pain in his foot.  Lasted for a few months before they went away.

Now he's back to normal.

Just do exactly what the docs say.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Best of luck to you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My grandfather beat stage 4 lung cancer in the early ‘70’s. Back then cancer treatments were nowhere near as good as they are today. They had to remove 1 entire lung and gave him about 2yrs to live afterwards. He ended up living for 25+ years. 

My great grandma had breast cancer (again, way back in the day). She had to have a breast removed and wasn’t given too long (again, back then rates of survival were much lower) but ended up living into her 90’s. 

More recently my cousin’s wife had cervical cancer. I want to say it was a later stage 3. 

She just had her 10yr check up and is still cancer free. 

About that same time my best friend’s dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in both lungs. He was also given a low survival rate. Had to have the top 1/2of both lungs removed and is still currently cancer free. He gets winded easy but other than that he’s doing well. 

Another friend’s dad just recently (within the last couple years) finished treatment for some type of cancer in his neck. He is cancer free and doing great. 

My boss recently has to have some cancerous growths removed and is doing well. 

Another good old friend of mine has had cancer 2-3 separate times now. I can’t remember exactly what the first type was. He was only in his early 20’s the first time, so it was a while ago. Most recently he had stomach cancer. I believe he just finished his treatments within the last month or two and is doing well. 

I know a few more friends and family member that have dealt with some type of cancer and made full recoveries. 

All the best to you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My mother in law has had colon cancer and liver cancer.  Surgeries, chemo, some hard times.  That was more than ten years ago.  She’s been leading a normal life for at least a decade at this point.  

I’ve also had other relatives who have had chemo and surgeries for breast cancer and have been cancer-free for decades. 

I can’t personally relate, but I know that some people beat it.  

More chemicals. Docs are positive, maybe last cycle, surgery was positive. Doing well. I agree re: med. support. 

Positives: my kids have said that with my hairstyle they can’t tell if I’m loosing hair. I’ve dropped some weight. Met some awesome people, learning a lot about motivation. Wished Lance Armstrong’s story didn’t end up where it did... 

...I can’t control what will worry me, but I will control how I worry...

... found more enjoyment in the Bills being where they are, probably who they are, the process of player development than expectation to be met by wins alone... much more mellow. 

I enjoy positive quotes. Enjoying reading. Not fussed about my work, workload.

i dig out the MacBeth “screw your courage to the sticking place and you will not fail!” quote at times as well as an old digger (Aussie WW1 soldier) saying, “sometimes you have to fix bayonet and close with your enemy”- as a means of sometimes you just have to do some hard fighting. 

Thanks all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Personally I have  no experience,  but I have a few family members that have and are going through it. I really.have nothing to offer, but I hope everything works out for you. Technology is progressing every day. Hang in there and keep your chin up. Peace be with you through your journey. Best wishes.