New TG Story - Bruce and Willford lobbied for Reich to follow Marrone - Russ and Whaley pushed back

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

"were concerned Reich would be too submissive to keep former teammates from meddling with football decisions".

This makes a lot of sense to me, and the reasoning is legit.  I'm sure Jim Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, etc. would be calling Frank with "advice" on how to coach their team, the Buffalo Bills.  It is like a fraternity when these players play on the same team together for a long period of time.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

This article just seems like piling on bashing the previous front office while gloating about 'being right'.

Well, when you leave a record of burning dumpster fire in your wake, yeah, you kinda get a LITTLE heat for it... ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

That’s all kinda crazy. They have one of the better GMs in the league and Reich’s not going anywhere anytime soon. As Bills fans, we like to boast about the cap space, Colts have over 100 million to spend and they could very well be heading to the AFCCG after this weekend

Please may it be so.  As the song went last year "just not the Pats.....

• Like (+1) 1

What a silly story.  Two teammates lobbied for their friend??? Jim Kelly wanted us to draft Tebow. Should we just blindly listen to ex players?

i love Reich and it’s great he’s doing well.  But I think a healthy Luck, getting very good o linemen, and improving the defense are the main reasons for success.  It’s hard to just blindly think he would be as successful here.  Luck is awesome.

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

This is a good point.

To have asked Reich to come in and break the drought would have been incredible pressure and it would have looked similar to when Marv Levy was brought in as GM in 2006.

There's no doubt that Reich benefitted from his time with Philly. He fell into a great situation with Indy and he's making the most of it. Happy for him. I don't wish that he was here.

Yup cuz Frank Reich just doesnt do well under pressure?

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What a silly story.  Two teammates lobbied for their friend??? Jim Kelly wanted us to draft Tebow. Should we just blindly listen to ex players?

i love Reich and it’s great he’s doing well.  But I think a healthy Luck, getting very good o linemen, and improving the defense are the main reasons for success.  It’s hard to just blindly think he would be as successful here.  Luck is awesome.

Luck was over rated before Reich.

30 minutes ago, PIZ said:

This makes a lot of sense to me, and the reasoning is legit.  I'm sure Jim Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, etc. would be calling Frank with "advice" on how to coach their team, the Buffalo Bills.  It is like a fraternity when these players play on the same team together for a long period of time.

And it still would have been better than what we had with Rex...

• Like (+1) 2

Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Andrew Luck. Let's just say Frank has had good fortune in being with teams that had really good QBs. If he comes to the Bills in 2015 who does he end up with, EJ Manuel? Odds are that even Frank couldn't have done much with that. Not taking anything away from him as a coach, but the only year he wasn't on a team with a good QB was 2012 with the Cardinals and that staff got blown out after that season. Can't overlook this when judging him as a coach.

Edited by GRHater69

2 hours ago, teef said:

meh.  

All those in favor of this word never being permitted anywhere ever again anywhere, please say "I'm totes for reelz down wid dat."

To the topic, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm so happy we didn't hire Reich. Some Bills fans would gleefully destroy his historic legacy with every loss under his reign, and it would be touch to watch.

Was it a mistake?  Maybe, maybe not ... you have to let the McProcess regime play out, and of course having Luck as your QB makes everything better.  Indy did find a way to put together a really good OL in a couple of years as well.   I just find the whole "Well, (insert name here) wouldn't have had the same success with the Bills" a tad bit tiresome ... It's what the defenders of the PROCESS throw out there when you mention passing on Mahomes ...

Edited by AlCowlingsTaxiService
incomplete sentence

3 hours ago, teef said:

this was my thought too.  i like reich, but i can't imagine he would have the immediate success he's having this year if he started here.  not to mention that there's a group of fans that would have complained that the bills just can't get away from the superbowl years.  combine that with a losing season or two, and watch the anger begin.

So what about the "fans" - those "fans" are most fans of complaining so they would be happy!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Good to see the front office let go of the 90’s.

Let that era finally rest. It’s ancient and completely irrelevant at this point.

While I agree, I'd hope Frank Reich would have had the same shot as anybody else. Not because of, or in spite of what he did for the organization almost 30 years ago, but based on the merits of his potential as a coach.