New TG Story - Bruce and Willford lobbied for Reich to follow Marrone - Russ and Whaley pushed back

Reed83HOF

Frank here would've been pretty cool. I'm not big on McD so yeah I probably would've been excited about him here. 

That being said, I haven't watched enough Colts games to know where Frank is in terms of gameday/clock management, which is what McD struggles with the most. I did see when he went for 2 to win when they were down 1 at the end of the game and loved that even if it didn't work out. Not sure we'll ever see that from Mr. "I'd rather tie than lose".  

Can't blame the Pegulas.

Everyone is always looking for a reason to call the Buffalo Bills a front office clown-show.  And we were only a few years past the days of former Hall of Fame coach (Marv Levy) acting as the General Manager - which was a total catastrophe.  To many on the outside, Levy's hiring was a PR stunt and pathetic attempt to recall the glory years, as opposed to looking forward as a franchise.

Since we had no QB at the time (don't forget Ryan was the one who pushed for signing Tyrod Taylor), Frank Reich would have failed here miserably.  And when word got out that the Pegulas only hired Reich because of a recommendation from Bruce Smith and Will Wolford, it would have made us a laughingstock.

• Like (+1) 1

It's an interesting little slice of behind the scenes stuff we normally don't get to hear about.

Whaley was just a straight up idiot and it's good he's gone.

Brandon is not an idiot, but we are equally better off for his ass being shown the door.

Should have been done a long, long time ago.

35 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

While I agree, I'd hope Frank Reich would have had the same shot as anybody else. Not because of, or in spite of what he did for the organization almost 30 years ago, but based on the merits of his potential as a coach. 

I agree with this as well, and I’d like to add that if anyone at OBD cared about Bruce Smith’s input they’d have gone ahead and asked him.

This story is so bogus.  In 2016, Frank Reich had been out of the NFL for 18 years and hadn't been a Buffalo Bill for 22 years.  Who, exactly, were these "ex teammates" who were still with the team that Reich would have been "submissive to"?????

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

He could have had Schwartz here as his DC. Albeit we also would have Whaley as our GM and most likely have not traded with KC & drafted Mahomes who both Whaley and IIRC Terry liked. I may very well be able to live with that.

The pressure would have been immense and expectations would be high. I also like that we finally cleaned house.  

Yes, it's much better to have a team loaded non-NFL caliber talent than to have had a team that actually had talent -- and to have been able to add to that talent in the person of a dynamic QB who was there waiting to be taken -- because, after all, having tons of cap space because you have so many scrubs on the roster is better than being in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Andrew Luck. Let's just say Frank has had good fortune in being with teams that had really good QBs. If he comes to the Bills in 2015 who does he end up with, EJ Manuel? Odds are that even Frank couldn't have done much with that. Not taking anything away from him as a coach, but the only year he wasn't on a team with a good QB was 2012 with the Cardinals and that staff got blown out after that season. Can't overlook this when judging him as a coach.

Ah, the old "we don't have talent" so we shouldn't add talent -- in the person of players or coaches.   That may work for you, but I'm no longer buying that bull#### from the Bills.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Everyone is always looking for a reason to call the Buffalo Bills a front office clown-show.  And we were only a few years past the days of former Hall of Fame coach (Marv Levy) acting as the General Manager - which was a total catastrophe.  To many on the outside, Levy's hiring was a PR stunt and pathetic attempt to recall the glory years, as opposed to looking forward as a franchise.

Everyone was NOT looking for reason to call  the Buffalo Bills a front office clown-show but I guess you were since you said everyone.

Those who thought that were pathetic.  Marv Levy was brought in due to a GM who was rated as top candidate from top organization decided that his reputation was more important than results resulting in fans with bags, etc.  Donahoe was destroying the franchise and Marv Levy was brought in to repair damage.

In 2015, Reich had only one season under his belt as an offensive coordinator. Before that, he had been an offensive assistant, QB coach and WR coach from 2008-2011, all with Indianapolis. Spent 2012 as Arizona's WR coach, became the Chargers QB coach for 2013 and then became the OC for 2014 & 2015. He did interview here in 2015, IIRC. Interviewed with a couple other teams as well (I wanna say the Chargers interviewed him) but at that time he didn't have a lot of experience in primary coaching jobs (HC, OC, DC, ST) and that's why teams passed on him. 

I still would really like to know just what Rex said/did to land the HC job here. I know the most commonly accepted explanation is that it was Brandon who pushed for it while it was said that Whaley was ready to offer the job to Hue Jackson.

Either way, I'm pretty pleased with the job McDermott has done so far. Hopefully he continues to trend upwards. I definitely feel like they've positioned themselves to obtain that long-term success they've talked about since day one.

I love Frank and it is interesting to think where things would be if some of the things had worked out similarly (what would he do with a young Allen...or a young Mahommes :o)

however, I do like Sean and with him you got Beane, which you may not have gotten otherwise and I am pleased with management lately, so...we'll see.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s entirely possible that the whole experience of being fired led to reflection and regrouping that caused success when Reich got the chance to work with Pederson and the Eagles.  Possibly he learned something working for Pederson and with Schwartz as DC that is helping him find success with the Colts.

My thoughts exactly, that year under Pederson and being around a championship team most likely taught him some valuable things that he carried over to Indy. 

Not just that, but he would’ve faced a large amount of pressure from the fan base compared to him coaching anywhere else. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's for the best that Reich never became the Bills head coach.

The pressure on him here would be ASTRONOMICAL. Not only that, but the fear that all of his ex-teammates would be too much of a distraction is probably a real one.

All things considered, I'm happy with how things turned out. 

Wondering about what might have happened offers no value and it's impossible to know if Reich would have succeeded or not.  With all due respect, you do a lot of worrying. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's an interesting little slice of behind the scenes stuff we normally don't get to hear about.

Whaley was just a straight up idiot and it's good he's gone.

Brandon is not an idiot, but we are equally better off for his ass being shown the door.

Should have been done a long, long time ago.

I remember Brandon being laughed at while attending the 2008 NFL Combine.  He had no place there and was not versed in personnel, although he cited talking to John Butler as evidence he had some experience.

To think, the lead personnel decision makers for the Buffalo Bills in 2008-09 were Russ Brandon, Dick Jauron, Tom Modrak (RIP), and John Guy.   

i didn't read every post but, i thought , reich hc, as well as retaining schwartz as dc/ assistant hc would have been a great combo.  last year .....well i kinda felt like i was right.

it's gonna be an awesome game watching luck and rivers battle it out in the afc championship game.  i gotta give frank the edge in that one. i never thought indy would be this good defensively. i think they will curbstomp the chiefs even though the score may not be that high.

i'm going ...chargers over pats 31-27     colts over chiefs  24 -17

ultimately, i'd like to see rivers get a ring, beating brees in a shootout. colts can take the division next year.  i'd like to see some closure for rivers. he should have that ring to insure him the hof.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I like this and the owners have a valid point of concern. I’m not saying it should be a reason to not have hired him, but it’s worth taking consideration. 

I’ve always wondered if our Alum was more or less visible than other players on other teams. 

...at the same time, that was back in 2015...was Frank ready THEN?....I'd say no...has the additional years of experience and seasoning from then until now made a difference?.....I'd say yes and the Colts agree......good show Frank..........

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i didn't read every post but, i thought , reich hc, as well as retaining schwartz as dc/ assistant hc would have been a great combo.  last year .....well i kinda felt like i was right.

it's gonna be an awesome game watching luck and rivers battle it out in the afc championship game.  i gotta give frank the edge in that one. i never thought indy would be this good defensively. i think they will curbstomp the chiefs even though the score may not be that high.

i'm going ...chargers over pats 31-27     colts over chiefs  24 -17

ultimately, i'd like to see rivers get a ring, beating brees in a shootout. colts can take the division next year.  i'd like to see some closure for rivers. he should have that ring to insure him the hof.

I feel like that game will be decided in the first quarter. Luck has a history of miracle comebacks, but I don't see one coming from that offense this year against the Chiefs. The Chiefs won't stop scoring if they get a lead. If the Colts get a few early stops, they're gonna be in control of the game. Interesting matchup. Just can't see either team coming back from 10 points down. If the COLTS get a lead, they're gonna go into their 8 minute 20 play TD drive mode.