WR for this offense do you prefer the Bills target size or speed?

You get yourself in trouble when you just think either or.  It’s how you ended up with James Hardy, R.I.P.  the nfl is all about separation.  So regardless of size, you need to be able to separate.  

But you need the small Buick guy as well as the big guy who can go and get it.  Don’t limit yourself.

I need size and speed. Obviously - a 6'5" WR generally doesn't get much faster than 4.5. But a 4.5 who runs routes well will have "good game speed". Being a tad slower than speed guys but having the ability to get higher and snag jump balls is more important than being fast as hell but a smurf.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Obviously both is great, but if just one then speed/quickness. Really what I want is someone who can get separation.

I am a Josh Allen fanboy, but think percision passing will likely never be his strong suit. I think he would excel more throwning to receivers with a step then trying to put the ball exactly where a big receiver could get the ball over a smaller corner. Much like cam newton, who had a modest 59% career completion percentage with big wr’s like Benjamin and Funchess, this year he got some burners and was 68%.

Speed. Size isn't everything. I've seen many 5'10 guys have illustrious careers and many 6'6 guys that are out of the league in 2 years. The bigger guys careers can end much easier than a smaller guy's. ACL tears and knee injuries are much harder for them to overcome. Their joints get out of position much easier. In many ways I don't think big guys are as durable. Give me a quick and fast player that can create separation. Those kind of players are ideal.

I’d rather see superior quickness (or elite routes) which result in separation and great hands think Robert Woods, OBJ or Antonio Brown over Tyreek / TY Hilton or Cooks type.  

In my armchair QB opinion, there are 2 football philosophies to attack a defense- create and attack space or target and attack mismatches (specific opposing players). 

With a young flamethrower QB that still has a ways to go on elite ball placement and reading defenses, attacking space seem more likely to succeed than going over the top with flat speed which takes the sort of time you only get a few times per game. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

Ideally you want both.  Not so easy to come by, obviously.

Whichever way you do go though, it needs to be someone who can actually catch the pigskin.

Give me AJ Green/Megatron/Julio Jones type receivers

3 hours ago, lacoy38 said:

Speed- I think of solely size guys and I’ve got bad memories of Benjamin !

Yeah, that wound is gonna fester for a while..

I prefer a big guy for TE but for WR, Speed, skilled route running & great hands. I don’t care about the physical package.

• Like (+1) 1

I realize it wasn't listed, but I agree with the "hands" sentiment... large catch radius type would complement Allen well (who I feel will never be the pinpoint accuracy type).  That kind of a receiver is probably a "size" kind of guy, ideally.

Before Foster's emergence I would definitely say "speed" type, and even with his arrival you can never have enough of those.  But IMO the first type is required, immediately, for Allen's sake.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Type doesn’t matter to me. 1)Route running and 2) hands do.  Big enough/fast enough to get separation but otherwise don’t care. 

Yeah. Ability to understand the position including route running/options and ability to separate.  Just get me that. 

Hands are the most important.  If KB did not drop all those balls he would have been awesome.  He does not have much speed and did not get much separation, but was open do to his size.  He dropped at least 4 TD's this year and I cannot remember how many potential 1st downs.  That is why he is not on this team anymore.  Those catches early in the seaon would have helped Josh even more.  But if you cannot catch the ball why bother.

Speed over size is what you want for Allen.  We saw that pretty clearly over the two halves of the season.

Obviously you want "good receivers", but the OP asked a fair question, and the answer is speed.  

Sammy Watkins would be amazing with Josh Allen - if he wasn't always broken.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I prefer a big guy for TE but for WR, Speed, skilled route running & great hands. I don’t care about the physical package.

And I'd only qualify my "size doesn't matter" ?  answer with "as long as they're big enough to play and survive on an NFL field".    We don't need Roscoe Parrish 2.0.

• Like (+1) 1