WR for this offense do you prefer the Bills target size or speed?

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Basically do you prefer a Hollywood Brown or an AJ Brown type? Cause I’m in Hollywood’s camp can’t teach off the top of the defense speed like that 

I prefer a Larry Fitzgerald/Hines Ward type.  Guys with good speed who know how to get open and create separation.  Big receivers seem to be easily dominated for long stretches in a game at times unless they are exceptional talents like megatron was.

Another Andre Reed would be exactly what this team needs.  I personally feel he was arguably the most unique mix of speed, toughness, and skill I've ever witnessed short of Jerry Rice and John Taylor. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve never understood this obsession with speed. All of these can run. The difference between them is minimal at best. On the contrary, all of them cannot run a precise route, fight for, and catch the ball with a defender on them...which happens on every play in the NFL. 

My ideal guy would be a player like Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, or Deondre Hopkins. They all have enough size and enough speed, but are not exceptional in either of those categories. They are just exceptional at playing the position of WR.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ideally it’s both.  If you have to pick it’s speed. Look how different the offense was when they inserted speed. Allen is going to have to throw the ball down the field to open everything else up. Once they started doing that they were inifinitely more productive. He’s never going to be a 70% completion guy and that’s fine. Make big plays and keep the field spread. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, lacoy38 said:

Speed- I think of solely size guys and I’ve got bad memories of Benjamin !

Size works really well if there is some semblance of effort - especially regarding blocking.  But beyond just blocking - shedding press coverage you will have an advantage with size.  You also obviously have height advantage for jump balls and 50/50 passes.  None of this matters if you can't run routes to get open, or catch the ball.  The size receivers we brought in could not get open OR catch the ball.

AJ Green, Mike Evans - to a lesser extent Funchess, M. Williams, Golladay, and Sutton.  When these guys are getting open, and making plays - very hard to stop those offenses.  They're a mismatch on every play and if they're physical blockers its even better.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ideally it’s both.  If you have to pick it’s speed. Look how different the offense was when they inserted speed. Allen is going to have to throw the ball down the field to open everything else up. Once they started doing that they were inifinitely more productive. He’s never going to be a 70% completion guy and that’s fine. Make big plays and keep the field spread. 

Can't stretch the field without size, and you'll struggle against press coverage with only speed.  Route running and hands really are the most important assets though.

2 hours ago, lacoy38 said:

Speed- I think of solely size guys and I’ve got bad memories of Benjamin !

I agree, at the moment...

But I think back to when Bills fans gave Marquis Goodwin the moniker "Glass".

WR styles are like politics: one election swings right, and the people eventually get pissed; next election comes, and they swing left; then they get disappointed and swing back... ad infinitum.

I jut want somebody who can catch the ball. Is that too much to ask? I think we drafted Zay with that in mind (CFB record for career receptions), but he got the yips (year 1), then came down with a nasty case of the Peterman-and-journeymen-are-passing-me-the-footballs (part of year two). 

Before free agency and the draft last off season, Buffalo had a good bit of size, and not a lot of speed.  Robert Foster was an afterthought who was not expected to contribute much,  He would be a fringe player on the team.  It became evident the Bills' receiving corps didn't have a lot of playmaking ability, so they jettisoned the beached whale (Kelvin Benjamin) and Andre Holmes and went small and fast.  Foster, BTW isn't that small. At 6'1" he's pretty average for an NFL receiver.  At the end of the season, they had very little size at receiver.  Duke Williams adds a little bit back to the lineup, but it's uncertain whether his CFL success will translate to the NFL as his speed is well below average for an NFL receiver.  I thinkl Buffalo will probably target size, but Iwould like to see them try to get one of the speedier big guys like Butler or DK Metcalf.  I am eagerly waiting for the combine to see how fast they really are.  Butler, BTW, while he appears to have long speed, doesn't really have short area quickness to creat separation underneath.  In that area of the field he depends on his strength, size advantage and catch radius (all of which are impressive) to outbattle DBs for the ball.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Basically do you prefer a Hollywood Brown or an AJ Brown type? Cause I’m in Hollywood’s camp can’t teach off the top of the defense speed like that 

I will take both by drafting Metcalf :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Give me the most disciplined route runner who can catch a ball.

Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest WR but he's often remembered as the best route runner in the history of the NFL.  Joe Montana and Steve Young could throw that ball wihtout hesitation because they knew Rice was going to be there.  

It's what seperates the Julio Jones and Antonio Browns from the Mike Wallaces and John Rosses.  Jones/Brown is a great route runner who is fast.  Wallace and Ross are really fast but are sloppy route runners.