Zebra Watch: 1st year refs may be a problem for Bills

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a fair point that certain players tend to be hot-heads.

But don't you think the specifics of coaching, especially by the assistants in charge of each room, influence focus, discipline, and technique?

Most people seem to think so

As for Rex, you could make the same point about how his prior NY Jets teams were historically stout on defense - therefore he should have been a great defensive coach for us.

I think the problem with Rex is that he had "checked out" and his head wasn't 100% in it when he was here.

I think the problem with Rex was his ego.  We had a great defense when he got to Buffalo and a solid D coordinator.  He decided to run the defense himself, which required a completely different style of play, one that we did not have the personnel to run.  He destroyed a great defense and got rid of a good D coordinator because he thought he could do better.  He was wrong and it cost him his job.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But don't you think the specifics of coaching, especially by the assistants in charge of each room, influence focus, discipline, and technique?

As for Rex, you could make the same point about how his prior NY Jets teams were historically stout on defense - therefore he should have been a great defensive coach for us.

I think the problem with Rex is that he had "checked out" and his head wasn't 100% in it when he was here.

He sure snowed us (no pun intended) with his whole--get me the snowiest part of Buffalo to live in, don't worry, my obnoxiously Bills wrapped truck is 4-wheel drive--type schtick <sigh>. I kinda fell for that to start. I knew the dream was over when he came out with the Clemson helmet for a presser--I mean, better than a 'bama helmet, but still, really?? ;) 

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Add in old man Coleman for week 12 against the Jags as there were 13 penalties called against the bills that game.  I get the younger guys calling more because of inexperience but when you have a vet calling that many it's just as fishy.

Yes, it isnt very often, actually almost never do i recall the refs from a game but that game and Coleman i will long remember, that was a dreadful display of officiating.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By the time players reach the NFL and are in their early/mid 20s, I think most players have already developed a level of focus and discipline.  Some work hard.  Some are lazy and coast off talent.  Some control themselves in heated situations.  Some lose their cool.  Maybe it improves as they mature, but I honestly don't think what a coach tells them will make a big difference.

I believe that technique is very important, but it still comes down to how good a player is (talent) and how he responds to that teaching.  Every O-Line coach is going to teach what constitutes a holding penalty, and how to avoid them.  But most of the time, holding happens because a blocker gets beat by the defensive opponent.  Not because he was never taught the proper way to do things.

Sometimes penalties are just a side-result of players being naturally aggressive.  You will notice the NFL's best pass rushers are usually the ones who get the most offside calls.  The best cornerbacks are also the ones who often get the most PI calls.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ask any Jets fan.  They will tell you that Rex was exactly the same in New York. 

He always had a reputation for being a "players coach" and very undisciplined with players.

The main reason his defense in Buffalo failed was because the talent mismatched scheme.