While we are at it... Shows that will never be rebooted.

RochesterRob

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

All in the Family.  Liberals fail to realize most of the criticism was thrown at Archie via Archie's attitudes on a wide variety of topics.  

Gomer Pyle, USMC.  Ratings champ of the 1960's but too sweet for today's audiences.  

I don't think "liberals" fail to realize what you think they fail to realize.  Quite honestly I think a show like that today would do fabulously.  Maybe not on broadcast TV, but somewhere in the vast realm of entertainment broadcasting.  Audiences would love to laugh at a character like that right now.  Not with him because he is right, but AT him because he was so incredibly wrong and behind the times.  Just like they did in the 1970's.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Hogan's Heroes

The Lawrence Welk Show

The Captain and Tenille ?

I would bet that more than one college thesis was done for Hogan's Heroes and nearly all in a negative light.  I always thought the character of Col Klink was spot on with his bored attitude of Hitler and the Nazi Party.  Quite a number of the traditional soldiers consider Hitler and the Nazi's idiots.

I never had a problem with Lawrence Welk just like I never had a problem with rap as long as there was a positive message to it.  It's music and not everybody is going to have the same tastes and that is a good thing.  The problem with LW is it is tied at the hip with the generally perceived out of touch nature of those who were adults before the 1960's.

Assuming that the recently departed Captain was still around the show would be perceived as too up and dated.

Edited by RochesterRob

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

All in the Family.  Liberals fail to realize most of the criticism was thrown at Archie via Archie's attitudes on a wide variety of topics.  

Also Mike was sort of proven to be right at the end of most of the episodes 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't think "liberals" fail to realize what you think they fail to realize.  Quite honestly I think a show like that today would do fabulously.  Maybe not on broadcast TV, but somewhere in the vast realm of entertainment broadcasting.  Audiences would love to laugh at a character like that right now.  Not with him because he is right, but AT him because he was so incredibly wrong and behind the times.  Just like they did in the 1970's.  

I think that if nobody had a problem with it the show would already been rebooted.  After all, Hollywood has shown that no one show is so sacred that it can't be touched.  Star Trek redone although on the big screen.  Until it came out in 1995 I thought the Brady Bunch would never be done.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I think that if nobody had a problem with it the show would already been rebooted.  After all, Hollywood has shown that no one show is so sacred that it can't be touched.  Star Trek redone although on the big screen.  Until it came out in 1995 I thought the Brady Bunch would never be done.

I've said to others that I felt that South Park was the All in the Family of our times.  Certainly a different framework of show but they go after every controversial topic, no holds barred.

Part of the probelm with doing a full re-boot of All in the Family would be finding an actor willing to be Carroll O'Connor.  Those are HUGE shoes to fill.  Sort of like there won't be a Mama's Family because nobody will want to try to one-up Carol Burnett.

16 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I've said to others that I felt that South Park was the All in the Family of our times.  Certainly a different framework of show but they go after every controversial topic, no holds barred.

Part of the probelm with doing a full re-boot of All in the Family would be finding an actor willing to be Carroll O'Connor.  Those are HUGE shoes to fill.  Sort of like there won't be a Mama's Family because nobody will want to try to one-up Carol Burnett.

I have no doubt that there are actors out there who have the balls to play Archie.  And the producer will vow not to make the same "mistakes" as the original as Archie will be made 100 percent contemptible while Mike would be made 100 percent enlightened.  No episodes such as "Everyone tells the truth" will be made where there is some criticism for both sides on a topic.  

Carol Burnett is different as her characters are organic to her so a reinterpretation would be difficult to pull off.  Carroll O'Connor was a fantastic actor and did a terrific job with Archie but very little of Archie had to come from O'Connor.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I have no doubt that there are actors out there who have the balls to play Archie.  And the producer will vow not to make the same "mistakes" as the original as Archie will be made 100 percent contemptible while Mike would be made 100 percent enlightened.  No episodes such as "Everyone tells the truth" will be made where there is some criticism for both sides on a topic.  

Carol Burnett is different as her characters are organic to her so a reinterpretation would be difficult to pull off.  Carroll O'Connor was a fantastic actor and did a terrific job with Archie but very little of Archie had to come from O'Connor.

Last Man Standing seems to be the show you're looking for. A conservative father and his idiot son in law. They tried the show 704 Hauser that was a failure. A black family moved into Archie's old house. The father was a staunch democrat/liberal, and his son was a young black Republican/conservative. Didn't last very long. 

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I would bet that more than one college thesis was done for Hogan's Heroes and nearly all in a negative light.  I always thought the character of Col Klink was spot on with his bored attitude of Hitler and the Nazi Party.  Quite a number of the traditional soldiers consider Hitler and the Nazi's idiots. 

Klink, Shultz, Hochsteetter,Burkhalter and LeBeau were all jewish. Robert Clary (LeBeau )had  the tattoo from a concentration camp on his arm.Werner Klemperer (Klink)  stated that if they ever wrote an episode where Klink won out over hogan, he would quit on the spot.,

I wonder if the Network Nightly News shows are on the way out. The audiences skew 50+ in age and people are getting their news elsewhere. The shows used to be like a public service and I think written into the licensing agreements with the FCC. They cost a ton and as they lose viewers, they are likely going away.

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I did a college paper which my theory Shultz was a Ally spy and reason he was in camp was to help Hogan and his crew out.  I got an A on it.