Which prospect do you NOT want the Bills to draft?

LSHMEAB

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Interesting regarding Gary.  I only watched him 3-4 times and he didn’t really stand out.  Is he Shaq Lawson 2.0?  Solid guy mostly effective vs the run.  I remember when he chose Michigan 3 years ago.  It was a big get for harbaugh.  

No one would ever be able to pass on us though.  I m not saying I want him (I’d prefer pass rush if we go d)  but our d would be sick.  

I had never thought of the comparison, but Shaq 2.0 is EXACTLY how I view Gary. He's a solid player and that's it. He was a top recruit, but it never translated even at the collegiate level.

As far as Williams, there's too many intricate passing concepts in the league for 2 corners to shut down an O IMO. If he were drafted by the Bills, we'd probably have the best CB situation in the league with White/Williams/Johnson. My guess is that teams would still find a way to make plays through the air if the defense wasn't able to generate pressure. Much more a fan of stopping a play before it gets going.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I had never thought of the comparison, but Shaq 2.0 is EXACTLY how I view Gary. He's a solid player and that's it. He was a top recruit, but it never translated even at the collegiate level.

As far as Williams, there's too many intricate passing concepts in the league for 2 corners to shut down an O IMO. If he were drafted by the Bills, we'd probably have the best CB situation in the league with White/Williams/Johnson. My guess is that teams would still find a way to make plays through the air if the defense wasn't able to generate pressure. Much more a fan of stopping a play before it gets going.

Not to mention Levi Wallace.  We may have our top 3 cbs set already.  

• Like (+1) 1

ED OLIVER... if he's fighting on the sideline OVER A JACKET, what else is he going to fight over? That scene was RIDICULOUS, and I was getting flashbacks of Dareus's bulls*** and how long we put up with that for. Sorry, but our team needs good players, not great player "personalities".. That kind of attitude will erode our team chemistry. I don't want to go back to the bad days. Nope. Nope.

19 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

If it’s possible I’m trading that 9th pick away.. Either for a later first and 2nds or an impact receiver. If they’re staying at 9 I’ll agree with the LT Williams. I haven’t watched him play much I just hate to use a top 10 pick on any lineman who isn’t considered a instant 5-10 year starter and all pro from the get go. 

If we are making any kind of noise next season we need players who can make a serious impact day one. I don’t think there’s any can’t miss lineman in the top 10. 

Just my 2 cents some of the draft gurus may know better 

Agreed - not sure if I favor the trade back over BPA at 9, but it will entirely depend on FA. As far as it's been stated, Beane ideally likes to address need in FA and talent in the draft through BPA.

Where I'm torn is that a stout OL instantly increases the floor of every single other skill position in the offense in many ways; gives the QB greater protection and time in the pocket, opens up a running game, both of which lead to a strong passing game and more time allows receivers to run their routes. The hope is that we address enough of this in FA that we see enough of an improved OL by the draft that we don't end up reaching for an OL pick that isn't worth the top 10 grade. Whether that's Jonah, Little, or Taylor - if there's better talent on the board and we aren't trading back at 9, the ideal for me would be to take the BPA regardless of defense or offense. While I would prefer to draft by BPA, the need for OL over other positions makes this assessment difficult - I feel an OL pick at 9 this year would be reaching given the BPA talent on the board already, but even if that OL pick improves the line enough, we could see the affect throughout the entire offense. Trading back is the alternative and not a terrible one at that, but there would need to be another team willing to do so, and for the right price.

It's difficult to gauge how to best approach the draft without first having gone through the first parts of FA and committing resources to players that may or may not make a difference. Even if we land Paradis or Morse, Saffold or another OG, there's no guarantee any of these guys play well or to the levels we expect either - it's a rough year to be in dire need of OL positions, as we are, both in terms of FA and the draft. 

22 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Josh Allen..didn't want him last year, dont want him this year!!

!( i kid, i kid) although I did not want JA last year, that is true.

LB Josh Allen did not look dominant at all in the bowl game vs Penn State.

There were saying he could be the #1 overall pick. SEC Def POY, I think. Need to see more of him, I guess.

The more I look at it there isn't an offensive linemen on the board that wouldn't be a reach. I would rather take a pass rusher and address O-line in round 2. WR might have to be an overspend in free agency but unless a trade down presents its self I think it is more than likely the team won't get good value on offense at pick number 9. 

Edited by billsfan89

We aren't picking high enough or going after a QB this year, so it's hard for me to get worked up over anyone this year.

Last year there were only 2 names I absolutely, 100% did not want.

Most of all: Lamar Jackson.  And after him: Josh Allen.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

ED OLIVER... if he's fighting on the sideline OVER A JACKET, what else is he going to fight over? That scene was RIDICULOUS, and I was getting flashbacks of Dareus's bulls*** and how long we put up with that for. Sorry, but our team needs good players, not great player "personalities".. That kind of attitude will erode our team chemistry. I don't want to go back to the bad days. Nope. Nope.

Ed Oliver's never had an issue with this sort of thing in his life. That was a bully in an authority position trying to flex his power for no reason. He's a good kid who's dominated college football since he was a true freshman. Denied the big schools like LSU who tried to recruit him because he wanted to play football with his older brother at Houston. He's a country boy who raises horses. Absolutely fits the culture in Buffalo.

Biggest takeaway: I think every defensive-line coach in the country should make a cut-up tape highlighting the effort from Oliver. He never quits on a play. Ever. It is a great lesson for every player at the position. He chases plays 30-40 yards down the field, and then he lines up and goes 100 mph on the very next play. It's a great indicator of the work he puts in during the offseason, as well as the personal drive he possesses. I was told by one of his former teammates that the coaching staff at Houston hands out an effort award after studying the game tape, and Oliver wins that award almost every week.

From Daniel Jeremiah 

• Like (+1) 4

On 1/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, NewEra said:

Interesting regarding Gary.  I only watched him 3-4 times and he didn’t really stand out.  Is he Shaq Lawson 2.0?  Solid guy mostly effective vs the run.  I remember when he chose Michigan 3 years ago.  It was a big get for harbaugh.  

No one would ever be able to pass on us though.  I m not saying I want him (I’d prefer pass rush if we go d)  but our d would be sick.  

For what it's worth, Matt Miller rated Gary as the best pass-rusher in the class at DT. Seems odd considering he's had 9.5 sacks combined in 3 years, but yeah.

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree, lots of red flags. It's so much harder now.  You have to know what kind of character and work ethic a player has, on top of his athletic potential. 

Just the thought of potentially replacing a player like Kyle with a player who has character flaws seems like a bad idea to me.  I’m not saying Ed is a bad guy necessarily, but I’ve seen enough to decide that I don’t want him in Buffalo.

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Tough one.  Either McGloin Showerhandle or La’Carpetron Dukemarroitt.

Well obviously, but how do you feel about Stumptavian Roboclick?

EDIT would also consider Logjammer D'Baggagecling in the third if he falls

Edited by GoBills808
  • Thank you (+1) 1