Kingsbury finalizing AZ HC deal

Reed83HOF

I just listened to his press conference, it was only 14 minutes long, but here were my thoughts.

1. Upper management wanted an offensive coordinator, and Kliff is calling the plays. We’ll see if a guy who only has solid ideas about one side of the ball from a college viewpoint can command an entire team. As in the past with the Bills, they are looking for a veteran 3-4 mind to coordinate the defense. 

2. Kliff referred to the Cardinals as first class, and an organization that always does the right things. Which makes you wonder about Bidwell’s thought process last year with Wilks. He got one year with a Bottom 3 roster. 

3. A lot of back slapping of current and former players, too much for my taste.

4. Kliff had more presence than Matt L in Green Bay. 

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I just listened to his press conference, it was only 14 minutes long, but here were my thoughts.

1. Upper management wanted an offensive coordinator, and Kliff is calling the plays. We’ll see if a guy who only has solid ideas about one side of the ball from a college viewpoint can command an entire team. As in the past with the Bills, they are looking for a veteran 3-4 mind to coordinate the defense. 

2. Kliff referred to the Cardinals as first class, and an organization that always does the right things. Which makes you wonder about Bidwell’s thought process last year with Wilks. He got one year with a Bottom 3 roster. 

3. A lot of back slapping of current and former players, too much for my taste.

4. Kliff had more presence than Matt L in Green Bay. 

I don't think Kliff will struggle for presence. He is going to be the dominant personality in the room. He is arrogant and believes he is the best and to be a great Head Coach you need a bit of that. The issue will be can he set that ego aside when managing 53 egos in a professional locker room. Or is he a guy that if he gets challenged responds by falling out with players? 

That and the DC hire. The DC hire is critical. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

“Cardinals' Kliff Kingsbury Allowing Cellphone Breaks During Team Meetings”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/27/arizona-cardinals-kliff-kingsbury-meeting-cellphone-breaks

Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury says he will allow cellphone breaks during team meetings to help players stay focused and to also get their "social media fix."

Jesus Christ.  I jumped on this and kept saying Haskins was going 1 overall!  Meant Murray, but main point was they were moving on from Rosen.  Must have been drunk when I posted.  I have “Murray” in all the other spots where I said they’d go QB 1/1.  

8 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Jesus Christ.  I jumped on this and kept saying Haskins was going 1 overall!  Meant Murray, but main point was they were moving on from Rosen.  Must have been drunk when I posted.  I have “Murray” in all the other spots where I said they’d go QB 1/1.  

You did say that they'd take Murray and trade Rosen (albeit for a 4th rounder, which I thought was lunacy).

I still think that the GM who traded up for Rosen, only to see his team finish dead last in the NFL, and then trade the guy for a day 2 pick, should prepare his resume, because that's a horrible use of resources.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You did say that they'd take Murray and trade Rosen (albeit for a 4th rounder, which I thought was lunacy).

I still think that the GM who traded up for Rosen, only to see his team finish dead last in the NFL, and then trade the guy for a day 2 pick, should prepare his resume, because that's a horrible use of resources.

I'm really not sure why he is still employed at this point, you are 1000000% correct. I just finished reading this article 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/rosen-to-murray--how-cardinals-got-here-amidst-crazy-offseason

In Arizona’s mind, Murray has always been an exciting prospect. That’s obvious hearing Kingsbury talk about Murray. He likes him (he also likes Rosen a lot, by the way). Owner Michael Bidwill likes him a lot, and especially likes the idea that Murray's exhilarating style of play will put fans back in the seats, something that was an issue last year as a losing campaign endured. At no. 1 overall, the Cardinals primary motivation was to trade back in the draft, but if that didn’t work out, there was no harm in the truth that they liked Murray getting out anyway. So nothing to lose by ramping up the rumors and seeing what happened.

Still, when Kingsbury affirmed their belief in Rosen on February 12th, he wasn’t lying. The Cardinals were all in on Rosen at that time, per multiple league sources. Over time however, a few things changed. Rosen is of course not required to be at the facility this offseason, but Carson Palmer basically lived there, and Rosen hasn’t been there at all. He has yet to meet Kingsbury in person, although the two have spoken on the phone a few times. 

Still, one motivation has trumped all. There is increasing pressure from ownership in Arizona to make a move that will be perceived as a splash, even to the point of rendering null their first round franchise quarterback from a year ago. It is no secret that Bidwill has always been a very hands-on owner, and this situation has brought that into focus more than ever before. It's not fair to say Arizona's decision-makers are divided on the prospect of drafting Murray, but Bidwill has been a late-driving force behind their interest in the Oklahoma quarterback. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I would agree with you. The only way that Keim saves face is if Bidwell is  calling the shots. Keim may want to stay with Rosen and build around him in the draft. They didnt sign any free agents on offense, just defense. If the Cardinals pick Murray 1st overall and he doesnt live up to the billing, the Cardinals are going to be the new Browns. The Cards have a hard enough time filling the stadium now, they wont be able to give away tickets. I hope they go WR with their 2nd round pick because when Fitz retires, they will have nobody. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm really not sure why he is still employed at this point, you are 1000000% correct. I just finished reading this article 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/rosen-to-murray--how-cardinals-got-here-amidst-crazy-offseason

In Arizona’s mind, Murray has always been an exciting prospect. That’s obvious hearing Kingsbury talk about Murray. He likes him (he also likes Rosen a lot, by the way). Owner Michael Bidwill likes him a lot, and especially likes the idea that Murray's exhilarating style of play will put fans back in the seats, something that was an issue last year as a losing campaign endured. At no. 1 overall, the Cardinals primary motivation was to trade back in the draft, but if that didn’t work out, there was no harm in the truth that they liked Murray getting out anyway. So nothing to lose by ramping up the rumors and seeing what happened.

Still, when Kingsbury affirmed their belief in Rosen on February 12th, he wasn’t lying. The Cardinals were all in on Rosen at that time, per multiple league sources. Over time however, a few things changed. Rosen is of course not required to be at the facility this offseason, but Carson Palmer basically lived there, and Rosen hasn’t been there at all. He has yet to meet Kingsbury in person, although the two have spoken on the phone a few times. 

Still, one motivation has trumped all. There is increasing pressure from ownership in Arizona to make a move that will be perceived as a splash, even to the point of rendering null their first round franchise quarterback from a year ago. It is no secret that Bidwill has always been a very hands-on owner, and this situation has brought that into focus more than ever before. It's not fair to say Arizona's decision-makers are divided on the prospect of drafting Murray, but Bidwill has been a late-driving force behind their interest in the Oklahoma quarterback. 

It must be splash. Because on tape Rosen is the superior Quarterback. Murray can play, I don't hate him by any means, and he is exciting. But Josh Rosen can play and even last season in a forlorn effort he showed flashes of his quality.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It must be splash. Because on tape Rosen is the superior Quarterback. Murray can play, I don't hate him by any means, and he is exciting. But Josh Rosen can play and even last season in a forlorn effort he showed flashes of his quality.  

If AZ goes through with this, they are going to be a very bad football team for a very long time.

• Like (+1) 2