Kingsbury finalizing AZ HC deal

Reed83HOF

14 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'll reserve my judgement about how much the Bills are investing in their young QB until after free agency and the draft.   There are plenty of examples in the NFL of defensive gurus presiding over the development of HOF QB's with the most obvious being Bellichick & Brady. 

Do you have any others?  Brady is the complete outliner.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude, you would be over the moon if the Bills did this. Stop lying.  It means they are fully investing in their young qb.  

His resume of developing nfl qbs is about as good of any recent coach his age.  Doesn’t mean it will work but I would bet on him being better than Brian Daboll.

And that’s the key.  

Imo, it is much easier to find good defensive coaches that offensive ones.  

I'm not lying.  I'm critical of moves the Bills make I don't agree with.  I was beating the drum for Castillo's and Crossman's dismissal.  I would not be "excited" about Kingsbury as a HC.  There's too much on his plate.  Now as an OC or QB coach?  You may be on to something.

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What is bitter about getting sick of the Bills for settling? I irrationally love this team and the city where I’m from.  I just have to take everything they do?  I can’t want us to make an exciting hire of a young offensive guy who just helped groom the nfl mvp?

i love life and I’m far from better. But man, no one settles like Buffalo fans.  

The defense failed Mahomes.  You spend money to get a veteran DC who are a million times easier to find.

im not saying I want him fired but it’s a million times easier to find a McDermott than a Reid or McVay.

Good point. It's a high risk/high reward hiring, as opposed to the typical NFL head coach hiring - the old "bring in a coordinator who's had some success in running a reasonably successful NFL team's offense or defense."

7 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

.....Save this post.....because it will need to be displayed right next to my Mahomes predictions here.....

The Cardinals made this hire because they are going to draft Haskins.

The way to look at this for Arizona isn't that they have a QB and can trade the 1/1 in the draft....(of course they COULD) but instead....look at like a chance to choose between Rosen or Haskins.  Arizona absolutely has that choice right now.

If you hire Kingsbury, who is going to install a spread, air it out type offense...you want HASKINS running that, not Rosen.  

The Arizona front office, by firing Wilks after only one season, has already shown they aren't afraid to move on from a mistake after 1 year and get someone they think is better.

Haskins is better than Rosen.

Arizona will keep that pick, draft Haskins, and trade Rosen to the highest bidder.  I predict that bidder will be the Saints, who will probably be able to pick up Rosen for a 4th round pick...get a first round talent into their system to be the heir to Brees and fix their succession problem with a player who is still talented, on a rookie deal, that only costs a 3 or a 4 to kick the tires on?  

As for as Kingsbury as a HC...he has HC experience tyring to win in Lubbock, TX.  He's proven he knows how to look at QB's and got them out to that ****hole to play college football.  He knows offense..the leauge is clearly trending offense....this is about offense...Kliff will hire an experienced D coordinator...again, the man understand how to lead, delegate etc.....

I don't think all that highly of Rosen, so I don't think trading him and taking someone else is the worst idea in the world, but there's no way they would do it for just a 4th round pick. They would probably require a 1st round pick if someone wanted Rosen. I also personally think Rosen was a better prospect than Haskins is, so I wouldn't personally subscribe to this plan. But I know most people seem to be higher on Haskins than I am.

If you are unable to win in college how are you going to win in the NFL?  He has a good offense, but besides playcalling what does he bring to the table? Its the long of longshots.  Sean McVay was in the NFL for 10 years before getting the Rams gig.  I prefer McDermott to all these guys.  

Edited by Mat68

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude, you would be over the moon if the Bills did this. Stop lying.  It means they are fully investing in their young qb.  

Like I said before, as OC maybe.  As HC, no way.  There are so many more duties as HC than being a personal QB coach to Rosen.  And it will likely fail.  Miserably.  But time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

As a Texas Tech alumn still living in Lubbock, I am SHOCKED by people's interest in this guy...

He hasn't done squat as a HC, and even had talent like Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes. He's a good recruiter and has an eye for talent, so maybe teams feel that at worst he'll leave them with a bunch of great pieces when he eventually gets fired?

People have always been enamored with him because of his looks & his charisma. But the fact that Texas Tech wouldn't even keep the guy says a LOT. 

He was on nobody's radar as a HC candidate the past couple years, now suddenly when Texas Tech plays even worse this season losing the last 5 games of the season after starting 5-2 (not even being bowl eligible) he's NFL HC worthy?!?!  ?

I am not sold on this hire being a great idea but put it this way... he will 100% produce a more competent modern NFL offense than Mike "fired in season two years in a row" McCoy, who might be the most useless offensive coordinator doing the rounds and only had good offenses when Peyton Manning was his QB (running the Manning offense). And before people say "yea but they moved on to Leftwich and it got no better".... Coordinators who take over mid season inherit a scheme. You can tweak but there is no time to install a new offense. Leftwich could still be a good coach. He might pop us Arians's OC in Tampa. Mike McCoy however is a terrible coach and coordinator. Kingsbury is an immediate upgrade there. 

I also think he could mesh well personality wise with Rosen. The questions are legitimate though and they are around his ability to manage 53 big egos and to hire a DC. They should go for experience at that spot. 

I’ll be very interested to see what type of staff he is able to assemble. I don’t know how extensive his network of contacts is at the NFL level. 

More often than not, NFL head coaches have had some type of experience at the NFL level before being hired as a HC, and therefore have usually developed some type of network of contacts at the NFL level. 

I wonder if Kingsbury might have to rely more on trying to pull his assistants from the college coaching ranks (but even there, he’s only worked for a couple teams - Houston, Texas Tech and USC for like 2 seconds). 

Edited by BillsFan4

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll be very interested to see what type of staff he is able to assemble. I don’t know how extensive his network of contacts is at the NFL level. 

More often than not, NFL head coaches have had some type of experience at the NFL level before being hired as a HC, and therefore have usually developed some type of network of contacts at the NFL level. 

I wonder if Kingsbury might have to rely more on trying to pull his assistants from the college coaching ranks (but even there, he’s only worked for a couple teams - Houston, Texas Tech and USC for like 2 seconds). 

I thought being Facebook friends with Sean McVay was enough

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They really should. Experienced DC is a must. Capers was not great in GB though. 

I don’t blame them, especially with his lack of NFL experience. I just don’t think Capers was that great in GB either, never saw their defenses as being elite. 

2 minutes ago, tbarg12 said:

I don’t blame them, especially with his lack of NFL experience. I just don’t think Capers was that great in GB either, never saw their defenses as being elite. 

Yeah Capers seems like the game may have passed him by, but yeah an experienced guy is a must

• Like (+1) 1