Sign in to follow this  
SDS

New Restricted Prospects Member Group

Hapless Bills Fan

Further posts ignoring the purpose of Scott's thread, which is to get constructive feedback on his recent changes to member groups, will be deleted. 

Thanks.

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

3 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I do not believe you 🤪

...you're NOT alone..................

I've read the topics on here for years and enjoy much of the give and take. I also rarely post as there can be a Wolfpack mentality that shreds the inexperienced posters who don't understand all of the posting rules. I don't think the new rules will have much effect on most but it seems like sharing thoughts on here is discouraged unless you're an avid poster or have xxx amount of posts. I thought just being a Bills fan was all you needed to be part of the community.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

in keeping with the football theme, maybe the title could be, 'Practice Squad'.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bisonbreath123 said:

I've read the topics on here for years and enjoy much of the give and take. I also rarely post as there can be a Wolfpack mentality that shreds the inexperienced posters who don't understand all of the posting rules. I don't think the new rules will have much effect on most but it seems like sharing thoughts on here is discouraged unless you're an avid poster or have xxx amount of posts. I thought just being a Bills fan was all you needed to be part of the community.

Most times a new members can add to an existing thread.  Over the the years it seems like a lot of newbies like to start a thread that has a slight difference in wording.  The mods do a great job in combining them.   (Lot of work for them). 

We have had a ton of great new members and their

threads from day one are very good. 

Some are very very knowledgeable.  

Even us longtime members get out of control at times.  

Self moderation is best but the key board does make us dumb and stupid at times.   

Scott and the mods make this the best Bill’s site.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

in keeping with the football theme, maybe the title could be, 'Practice Squad'.

I am agreeing to agree with this.  

Edited by Irv
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

New member ranking policy states subtract 19.5K for being pro train horn

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bisonbreath123 said:

So I lurked on this board for years before I posted.  Several years.

I think it made a difference.  Before I posted, I pretty much knew how to present something so that it wouldn't draw (much) fire.

Still when I started posting, I do remember being told I was "on my knees (performing a sexual act on Ryan Fitzpatrick)" because I disagreed with that fellow that Fitz was the worst QB ever in the NFL, a clearly rejectable hypothesis in objective terms.

I'd like to think that we've raised the bar on civility a bit over the last year or so, and would welcome input pro or con.  Some people say "too far" others say "not far enough yet" so on average I think, about right.

The problem is newbie posters often seem to start threads that are essentially the same topic as has been hashed around for 3 months in half-a-dozen previous threads.  Then you're right, the Wolfpack does descend, in full "shred" mode. 

So yes, just being a Bills fan is all you need to be a part of the community, but the idea is 1) to protect the community from new members starting repetitive threads, or threads that echo every rumor on the internet etc 2) to protect well-meaning new members from the community by encouraging them to read threads, and kind of learn the rules of engagement before they start creating threads.

We'll see how it goes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd like to think that we've raised the bar on civility a bit over the last year or so, and would welcome input pro or con.  Some people say "too far" others say "not far enough yet" so on average I think, about right.

Honestly...as someone who knowingly dances on the line, who knows he gets some leeway, and who's interacted with you concerning it...you and other mods have struck what I think is a good balance.

Even if you are busy [BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP]...

• Thanks! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem is newbie posters often seem to start threads that are essentially the same topic as has been hashed around for 3 months in half-a-dozen previous threads.  Then you're right, the Wolfpack does descend, in full "shred" mode. 

As a Wolfpack should.  That’s how you keep it as a pack, instead of a lawless rabble.

Great job as usual SDS.  Thanks for all you do.

I don’t post often, but have been a member since the Bills message board got shut down. 

How do I know if I’m a prospect or not? 

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

As a Wolfpack should.  That’s how you keep it as a pack, instead of a lawless rabble.

Well, it depends, right?  As Bison said, watching the wolves in action can be intimidating to new folks who may contribute good stuff.

It can also provide a behavior model for other newbies who already take crappy Reddit threads as their online behavioral model.

Something to be said for a single clean shot from a Winchester XPR with a Vortex Diamondback.

Something more to be said for at least trialing out prevention

24 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Even if you are busy [BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP]...

Tom - what's that red dot?

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SDS said:

In response to many members requesting that new members have a restricted account until some criteria is met, I have implemented a new user group named "Prospects" with some posting

/time criteria. You will see these members with a new group name in purple.

Those who haven't met the criteria yet will be moved into this new category.

The primary restrictions for the Prospects group is the inability to start new topics on most of the forum sections (not all), the number of posts they can post per day, and a restriction on using the PM system.

We will see how this works and make tweaks over time depending on feedback.

You dont have an icon for the feelings this is making me feel!

"My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel"

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, way too far would be my input. What made this board amazing wasn't it being over-moderated. What made this board amazing was that it was self-correcting. The homework, piracy, and retatta threads... which are all legendary...are evidence of that mechanism.  When a lifelong bills fan can't give a Jets fan modest grief and earns a vacation for the sake of "civility," it's gone far too far.

I'm sure this will earn me a time out, but hey, you asked for input.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SDS said:

Allowing reactions for the new group is a good question. I'll need to think about that.

This is not helpful. Any attempt to game the system will be met with automatic suspension.

If you have old accounts that need to merged - contact me using:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/contact/

i didnt mean it as gaming the system but rather put in the work of being involved in this forum.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ratchet up the post count with junk posts to end-around the system: meet Mjolnir.

You have probably taken a more systematic look, my impression is it may.

see above.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, whatdrought said:

There was a minimum count on the BBMB if I recall correctly.

It can be pretty prohibitive, but it’s great for the community overall, I think. New posters need to view it as a time to learn the community and appreciate the posters before their opinion gets to be front and center. We have a ton of posters who come on here and their first post is a thread with a crazy hot take following a game and then Hapless or Scott, or the other mods end up wasting time to close threads. We also get too many trolls, and I assume there are a lot of duplicate accounts made to parrot takes, or rage against something or other without risking the primary. 

i don’t want it to be too restrictive, but as someone who watched and read for a long time before joining (and then was even slower to post a new topic/thread) I think this is a fine and helpful standard.

Thanks for the hard work mods- this is a great place to talk bills football. I was upset when the BBMB went dark, and I was happy to find this place.

i remember that. i joined in 2004 and then for some reason had to re-register in 2010.  i know the posters here thought we were a wave of lepers raining down on this site after the bbmb shutdown, but i'm glad to see a lot of those guys are big contributors here.....even the ones i rarely agree with.

i just wish there was some kind of way to recognize longevity  vs. post count. i'm the kind that spends way more time reading than posting. just thinking out loud......

edit: i apologize for making any repetitive points. i probably should have read all the way through first.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Good call, that’s why I enjoy this site.

How long does one stay in prospect status?

Till your logo and ID match the purpose of the site ... are you on the right site? 😆

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, way too far would be my input. What made this board amazing wasn't it being over-moderated. What made this board amazing was that it was self-correcting. The homework, piracy, and retatta threads... which are all legendary...are evidence of that mechanism.  When a lifelong bills fan can't give a Jets fan modest grief and earns a vacation for the sake of "civility," it's gone far too far.

I'm sure this will earn me a time out, but hey, you asked for input.

Why would it earn you a time out?  You expressed your view and were perfectly civil about it.

Just recognize that there's a different view, expressed by folks like Bisonbreath up above, that newer people with something to say can't say it without being shredded by the regulars.  Naturally if you're one of the shredders, you think that's great.  The shreddees, not so much.  There are other points to be made about changes in the size of the board and the emergence of the troll and hydra-troll species, but people who won't see them, won't.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would it earn you a time out?  You expressed your view and were perfectly civil about it.

Because in the past, any criticism of moderators was dealt with in a draconian fashion.

• Like (+1) 2

Can prospects revive PMs

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

hydra-troll species,

I just wanna compliment you on that. Genius.

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Because in the past, any criticism of moderators was dealt with in a draconian fashion.

Any?  Nah.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any?  Nah.

<_<

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

<_<

Look, guys, we don't typically mod in public, but since you and Joe want to "fetch a bone", it's not an accident that the people complaining about a "short fuse" here are :

1) the guy who got numerous complaints and racked up 7 warnings for pretty much the same behavior in the past year before a ban.  Enough is enough.

2) the guy who responded poorly in PM then came back with a clear public insult to a mod, got banned, and is now pretending that constitutes an "argument" to the "oversensitive"

People who contribute good football conversation to TSW and actually argue (you know, present facts or logical rationale) don't generally get in trouble with Mods, even if they go "off" once in a while.  People who go off or ignore the purpose of a thread - whether it's to talk about football or to give feedback on the Site Owner's new category - get told to "knock it off", usually in PM by me if it's a first offense, later in warnings so all the mods can see what's going on if they keep it up.

People who tell a mod "where to get off" spectacularly in PM or insult mods in public, and people who pile up warnings for the same thing and aren't willing or able to change get banned.   It's not exactly a shock to anyone from the sidelines when that happens.

Those who tell themselves "fairy stories" distorting what happened don't have good odds to remain, because they feel self-justified so they're going to repeat the same behavior that got them banned in the first place.

Further posts ignoring the purpose of Scott's thread, which is to get constructive feedback on his recent changes to member groups, will be deleted.  If you have complaints about the moderation of the board, I suggest you communicate to Scott in PM. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i remember that. i joined in 2004 and then for some reason had to re-register in 2010.  i know the posters here thought we were a wave of lepers raining down on this site after the bbmb shutdown, but i'm glad to see a lot of those guys are big contributors here.....even the ones i rarely agree with.

i just wish there was some kind of way to recognize longevity  vs. post count. i'm the kind that spends way more time reading than posting. just thinking out loud......

edit: i apologize for making any repetitive points. i probably should have read all the way through first.

and therein lies the problem.😉

• Haha (+1) 1