Sign in to follow this  
SDS

New Restricted Prospects Member Group

Hapless Bills Fan

Further posts ignoring the purpose of Scott's thread, which is to get constructive feedback on his recent changes to member groups, will be deleted. 

Thanks.

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I've been here awhile, and I don't post often. I actually do praise other people's posts daily, though, giving positive reactions. I don't post much ecause I don't like being a loudmouth, but it's kinda sad not to be able to support other people's opinions I agree with 😪

Likewise. Member since 2013 but don't post very much. Always upvote + add reactions to posts daily which I hope supports the community in some way. Seem to have temporarily lost this ability.

edit: now its back!? Anyway, thank you to the mods. I don't really have a problem with restrictions but would still love to add positive reactions to posts I find helpful and react with sadness and confusion to the posts that are not!

Edited by BillsClinton
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Thanks for pointing it out! That was an error on my part.

Likewise thanks for “fixing” me, was kind of down that I’d missed the algorithm cutoff for about 2 min 😝

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sitting at my kids bus stop, so I may be missing something,  but every time I click on a members name it stays purple no matter how many posts they have or how long they've been a member. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Thanks SDS, this should cut back on a lot of the duplicate threads

Yea I hope that’s the case

2 hours ago, SDS said:

You touched upon an issue that is always priority #1 for me - the less mods have to do the better. I'll keep your suggestion in kind, but I think that adds a wave of activity I'm not ready to accept.

In the interests of this, I hereby commit to not calling prospects "idiots."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

I apologize for live testing this on everyone, but it is the only way. I think I have it now. Long-time members are left as is. Newish members have a handful of restrictions. Issues with erroneous purple names will resolve themselves in time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Since that is a work in process, I don't want post what the algorithm as that might change as we fine tune.

We really just want people to join, add positively to the community, and eventually Prospects get moved to full Member status.

I think this is very much needed. thanks for this. 

35 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

This made me LOL. Btw thanks for this change @SDS. Also for all you do here for this community.

52 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No! That’s taking it too far!🤬

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

No! That’s taking it too far!🤬

Well, if they're not starting threads, he could have less cause, true?

4 hours ago, SDS said:

In response to many members requesting that new members have a restricted account until some criteria is met, I have implemented a new user group named "Prospects" with some posting

/time criteria. You will see these members with a new group name in purple.

Those who haven't met the criteria yet will be moved into this new category.

The primary restrictions for the Prospects group is the inability to start new topics on most of the forum sections (not all), the number of posts they can post per day, and a restriction on using the PM system.

We will see how this works and make tweaks over time depending on feedback.

Thank you for doing that.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

That rank has been in effect since you joined. That didn't change today.

OK. Guess I never noticed it. Probably because I don't post often lol.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

...we DEFINITELY need that in writing and duly notarized.......along with a copy of the polygraph results...........as far as the thread discussion, I'd suggest "start slow and simple".....perhaps the first step is a minimum number of posts before being able to start a thread as many have suggested.....keep in mind that some of the BBMB clowns would post 100+ emojis in a day to artifically inflate post count with not ONE word posted......

I understand the reasoning, but I'm not sold on this concept. I don't believe that quantity of posts has any bearing on quality of posts. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, notwoz said:

I understand the reasoning, but I'm not sold on this concept. I don't believe that quantity of posts has any bearing on quality of posts. 

quantity does not equal quality, correct. it does however prevent sock puppet accounts from stirring things up via a new thread and polluting the site.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I have been waiting for to post so I can say I appreciate the old Greg avatar 

Ha ha! Thank you. Few know Old Greg. Fewer still make an assessment thereof 😂

Thanks, Mods 😀

Thanks to SDS, for all you do. This has ALWAYS been the best place for Bills news/rumors/discussion. And it keeps getting better. 

And to all the board members that make this place enjoyable- I stumbled upon this site while I was in the military and was unable to get much Bills info where I was stationed. That was 17 years ago (Dang we're getting old.). I don't post as much as I used to because of kids, work, and just life in general. But I still visit this place multiple times a day to keep up on the goings on and to get different perspectives on our team.

Go Bills!   

Why aren't new members allowed to edit their posts like before? I often edited for typos or grammatical mistakes.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, if they're not starting threads, he could have less cause, true?

You would think so, but do not count on it. :)

Like many others have said, thank you @SDS and all the other mods for all you do to keep this a thriving and enjoyable community. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

Also, I used to like a post that replied to mine which didn't warrant me actually replying, like is common on facebook or twitter. Now, since I can't do that, I have to reply with a meaningless post, like "thanks...good point". But, that also increases my post count and ranking, so I guess that is a fringe benefit.

And I would have edited my post above to add this post, but I can't edit any longer. But that also increases my post account, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I do not believe you 🤪

• Haha (+1) 1