Sign in to follow this  
SDS

New Restricted Prospects Member Group

Hapless Bills Fan

Further posts ignoring the purpose of Scott's thread, which is to get constructive feedback on his recent changes to member groups, will be deleted. 

Thanks.

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Posted (edited)

along with my postings in the member rankings thread, could automatically promote them to the regular member user group based upon 'Reputation' level. it would be automatic and you wouldn't have to give it a second thought as it would be automated.

Edited by Foxx

Just now, Foxx said:

along with my postings in the member rankings thread, could automatically promote them to the regular member user group based upon 'Reputation' level. it would be automatic and you wouldn't have to give it a second thought as it would be automated.

I have the promotion automated already.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Maybe not so much restrict them from making new topics, but possibly they have to be approved if they're in the "Prospect" phase. Unless that's too much work for you guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 2

Scott, you really do great work. This place flourishes because of you. Thanks for being so open to suggestions!!

• Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Maybe not so much restrict them from making new topics, but possibly they have to be approved if they're in the "Prospect" phase. Unless that's too much work for you guys. 

My number one critique of new posters is the starting of threads.  That right should be at least somewhat earned.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You touched upon an issue that is always priority #1 for me - the less mods have to do the better. I'll keep your suggestion in kind, but I think that adds a wave of activity I'm not ready to accept.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

You touched upon an issue that is always priority #1 for me - the less mods have to do the better. I'll keep your suggestion in kind, but I think that adds a wave of activity I'm not ready to accept.

Let them earn it. You guys have enough on your plate without a topic approval workflow, plus it protects you from having to be a gatekeeper and people complaining why their topic was not approved.

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks for all your work in providing us Bills fan a great home.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

There was a minimum count on the BBMB if I recall correctly.

It can be pretty prohibitive, but it’s great for the community overall, I think. New posters need to view it as a time to learn the community and appreciate the posters before their opinion gets to be front and center. We have a ton of posters who come on here and their first post is a thread with a crazy hot take following a game and then Hapless or Scott, or the other mods end up wasting time to close threads. We also get too many trolls, and I assume there are a lot of duplicate accounts made to parrot takes, or rage against something or other without risking the primary. 

i don’t want it to be too restrictive, but as someone who watched and read for a long time before joining (and then was even slower to post a new topic/thread) I think this is a fine and helpful standard.

Thanks for the hard work mods- this is a great place to talk bills football. I was upset when the BBMB went dark, and I was happy to find this place.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, shiner13 said:

Thank you to whoever fixed me.

Thanks for pointing it out! That was an error on my part.

I don't post often but I've been a member since 2009.... :ph34r:

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, MTLBills said:

same here, been a member over a year but don't post a lot, where are the requirements to no longer be a Prospect?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MTLBills said:

What is your opinion on this "feature" given your history here?

Sorry if I missed something, but can "Prospects" not up-vote posts? My buttons seem to be gone.

Also, what is the criteria for getting out of "prospects"? I've been here for years but just don't post all that often...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Sorry if I missed something, but can "Prospects" not up-vote posts? My buttons seem to be gone.

Also, what is the criteria for getting out of "prospects"? I've been here for years but just don't post all that often...

Same questions...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shiner13 said:

same here, been a member over a year but don't post a lot, where are the requirements to no longer be a Prospect?

Since that is a work in process, I don't want post what the algorithm as that might change as we fine tune.

We really just want people to join, add positively to the community, and eventually Prospects get moved to full Member status.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SDS said:

What is your opinion on this "feature" given your history here?

I think the intention is good. Perhaps it needs some tweaking. Limit it to users that have been members <90-120 days, for example.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shiner13 said:

+ 1,  same question here. I have been visiting since 1998 edition, however multiple user / credentials changes give no credit for that, thanks anyway! I like the promotion system!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Allowing reactions for the new group is a good question. I'll need to think about that.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Get your posts boys

This is not helpful. Any attempt to game the system will be met with automatic suspension.

1 minute ago, BuffaLoko said:

+ 1,  same question here. I have been visiting since 1998 edition, however multiple user / credentials changes give no credit for that, thanks anyway! I like the promotion system!

If you have old accounts that need to merged - contact me using:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/contact/

I too am an occasional poster (150 posts in just over a year), but I am here most every day during the season at least.  I understand the need to make this type of change, I find the nonsense just as annoying as everyone else.  But maybe there could be a timeline to graduate up even if you don't post a lot?  Maybe a tier that would allow for more freedom after an amount of time,  but could still be demoted with infraction back to prospect (to prevent trolls from circumventing by waiting it out)  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MTLBills said:

I think the intention is good. Perhaps it needs some tweaking. Limit it to users that have been members <90-120 days, for example.

This..

I like the idea, for new members, but don't like the ideas of members who have been here for a fair amount of time losing privileges all of a sudden, even if they did use them all that often in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shiner13 said:

This..

I like the idea, for new members, but don't like the ideas of members who have been here for a fair amount of time losing privileges all of a sudden, even if they did use them all that often in the first place.

Understood.