Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No I don't actually.  But you just continue to assume the rest of the world is just like you.

Ok, you did say that you do love football so it was only natural to think that you watched the games as well. Football, truthfully probably shouldn't even be played on Thanksgiving honestly

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ok, you did say that you do love football so it was only natural to think that you watched the games as well. Football, truthfully probably shouldn't even be played on Thanksgiving honestly

He is often very cranky on here, ignore or put up with the days like that....

25 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We cook together and then play a lot of board games.  Football is on in the background.

We just have a fundamentally different view of what should constitute a national holiday.  I  think they should be reserved for events that truly have had a historical influence on the nation.  You think a football game should be recognized as such, and it seems more so people get a day off after drinking. That to me is hardly a reason to call for a national holiday.

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

He is often very cranky on here, ignore or put up with the days like that....

Do you think a game should be cause for a national holiday?

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We cook together and then play a lot of board games.  Football is on in the background.

We just have a fundamentally different view of what should constitute a national holiday.  I  think they should be reserved for events that truly have had a historical influence on the nation.  You think a football game should be recognized as such, and it seems more so people get a day off after drinking. That to me is hardly a reason to call for a national holiday.

Do you think a game should be cause for a national holiday?

I'm all for the Holidays that truely mean something to our nation. It's important. I'm also for Election Day and even maybe a Rememberence Day for the people that lost their lives on 9/11. I also think an event that has 100 million viewers in our country alone that is the nations biggest sporting event also deserves some recognition as far as being a holiday. Yeah it's a sporting event but it's huge. Very few things get 100 million people watching it. I understand your view points believe me and I agree. I see nothing wrong with one extra holiday for it

20 hours ago, from_dunkirk said:

No. MLK Jr. Day is always the third Monday of January. The SB is always the first Sunday in February. No way it world work unless you started the season in August.

And the SB will never be on a Saturday. The ratings on TV would be too low for the NFL. They have it at the best time, when everyone is home. On Saturdays everyone is going out and doing errands. And for me, the SB ends at 7:30 PM at the latest. Why would I have trouble making work the next day?

Uh Right.  The idea would be to kill 2 preseason games which has been tossed around quite a bit and start the real season two weeks early.   Now you're synched with MLK day, you have much happier players unions, and these grass fields people are trying to resurrect in the dead of winter will be at least a little less pure dirt by then.

Would solve the Monday morning absenteeism.   West coast obviously doesn't count.  And your point about Saturdays everyone going out and doing errands?  Wha?  First of all that's not a thing, even if it's what you do.  I guarantee the super bowl won't be less watched if it's on a Saturday.  Do you think the 4pm game this Saturday will be LESS seen than the Sunday 4pm?   It won't.   My friend's bar was half full last year during the superbowl, he said he did more business on average college playoff games on fridays and saturdays than the superbowl.   

It's dumb, and they'll eventually change it.  Once thing about the league is just about every good idea comes around eventually.

How about this:  Last year 2018 an estimated 1.5 million Americans chose not to go to work on the Monday after the Super Bowl, while another 4.4 million came in late, according to a study conducted by the Workforce Institute at Kronos. 

Estimated $3 billion cost for employers.

So even though YOU go to work, it's a real issue.  And the point of this thread.

No. Of course not. I assume, or at least hope that the OP is joking.

What would be next ? The day after the World Series?

Nationsl Holidays are to commemorate certain historic events.  Winning a world championship, even the Red Sox in 2004, does not meet the standards.

It should, however, be a “use a vacation day”, or a “puke your guts out and call in sick day”.

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Nationsl Holidays are to commemorate certain historic events.  Winning a world championship, even the Red Sox in 2004, does not meet the standards.

It should, however, be a “use a vacation day”, or a “puke your guts out and call in sick day”.

When making arrangements with your employer, I recommend categorizing it as the former. But maybe that’s just me. 

The game itself has definitely matured into something more than a championship sporting event.

It's a piece of current American culture.

I think the idea of acknowledging its importance and therefore moving it to a Saturday would be a fantastic idea.

Who the hell wants to have a big party at 6:00pm on a Sunday night?

44 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Uh Right.  The idea would be to kill 2 preseason games which has been tossed around quite a bit and start the real season two weeks early.   Now you're synched with MLK day, you have much happier players unions, and these grass fields people are trying to resurrect in the dead of winter will be at least a little less pure dirt by then.

Would solve the Monday morning absenteeism.   West coast obviously doesn't count.  And your point about Saturdays everyone going out and doing errands?  Wha?  First of all that's not a thing, even if it's what you do.  I guarantee the super bowl won't be less watched if it's on a Saturday.  Do you think the 4pm game this Saturday will be LESS seen than the Sunday 4pm?   It won't.   My friend's bar was half full last year during the superbowl, he said he did more business on average college playoff games on fridays and saturdays than the superbowl.   

It's dumb, and they'll eventually change it.  Once thing about the league is just about every good idea comes around eventually.

How about this:  Last year 2018 an estimated 1.5 million Americans chose not to go to work on the Monday after the Super Bowl, while another 4.4 million came in late, according to a study conducted by the Workforce Institute at Kronos. 

So even though YOU go to work, it's a real issue.  And the point of this thread.

According to the site below the ratings and viewership for the late game this past Sunday crushed the late Saturday night game 19.7 to 15.9 and 35.89 to 29.38.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Those numbers might not translate to a Super Bowl weekend where there's only one game but my guess is the numbers this coming weekend will be similar.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

I remember, when I wore a younger man’s clothes, back in 1983 when I lived in DC and the Redskins dominated Miami in Super Bowl 17.  My friends and I celebrated til the bars finally threw us out, then we picked up a few female guests to take home and enjoy a game of naked Twister. ?

The next morning, I woke up incredibly late, jumped under the water, quickly dressed and raced to the office, arriving around 10:30, wondering how much trouble i’d be in.

i was the first one there!!!

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Thank you. Everyone just assumes this is about "entitled" people that want to get "hammered" and get a day off for it. People have been misunderstanding what I have been trying to say this whole time

10 hours ago, The Senator said:

As I stated before, this would not apply to the World Series or Stanley Cup or NBA Finals or any of those other sports big games in this country because those games are not as big as the Super Bowl. Those games don't get 100 million viewers in our country alone and those games don't have the effect that the day after the Super Bowl has on employers and all the billions of dollars in lost revenue from employees calling off or showing up late or being unproductive when they get to work. Those games don't compare to the effect of the Super Bowl

Edited by Buffalo03

On 1/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Mrbojanglezs said:

The Superbowl should just be on a Saturday

This

On 1/8/2019 at 11:19 AM, boco357 said:

I think they wanted to expand schedule to 18 games a few years ago, so the Superbowl would be the day before President's Day. 

'

They could get rid of the last 2 preseason games, move the season up, and put the Superbowl before MLK day if they insist on keeping it on Sunday.

Why not just move it to Saturday?

On 1/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, Logic said:

Nope. 

But if we're adding national holidays, can I request that we add ELECTION DAYS? 

This please! 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, Jerome007 said:

Sunday is THE day associated with pro football but yeah, the Superbowl on a Saturday or earlier in the day would make sense. Ends quite late for people in EST, especially kids.

But they already have playoff games and some regular season games on Saturday, and a lot of people watch college football on Saturday.

And for years we've had football Monday night and now Thursday.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Me and friends did a Super Bowl ski weekend for years. Until the time I called home on SB Sunday and my son wouldn't talk to me. He was pissed I wasn't home to watch the game with him. 

BTDT.  One of the best weekends to ski at a local ski resort too.  No lift lines.

9 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

As I stated before, this would not apply to the World Series or Stanley Cup or NBA Finals or any of those other sports big games in this country because those games are not as big as the Super Bowl. Those games don't get 100 million viewers in our country alone and those games don't have the effect that the day after the Super Bowl has on employers and all the billions of dollars in lost revenue from employees calling off or showing up late or being unproductive when they get to work. Those games don't compare to the effect of the Super Bowl

Actually, the SuperBowl has little effect on me or most of my friends, certainly no more than any other Sunday of NFL games.

The only time it even would affect me would be if the Bills or my adopted home team were playing, as happened when I lived in DC in ‘82 and SF in ‘94, and obviously all 4 Bills games in the ‘90s.  Even those 6 times, I never took Monday off, nor did I think I deserved to.  If I thought I would have needed to, I would have scheduled a vacation day in advance.

• Awesome! (+1) 1