Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

On 1/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

Many? Tons?

outside of the winning and losing team fans hometown? 

Which businesses say that? 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Many? Tons?

outside of the winning and losing team fans hometown? 

Which businesses say that? 

https://thetylt.com/sports/super-bowl-national-holiday

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketplace.org/amp/2018/01/30/business/even-hr-agrees-day-after-super-bowl-should-be-holiday

On 1/8/2019 at 5:55 PM, Da webster guy said:

Ive posted this before, either move it to Saturday at 5, or at the very least coincide it with Martin Luther King day Monday which is a national holiday and lands close to the superbowl every year but never the day after.   

Just synch em up.

And someone explain to me how ratings are better on a Sunday nite at 11pm vs Saturday at 9pm.

Its such a stupid system.  Jesus the NFL changed the catch rule DURING the playoffs just before the superbowl, dont tell me they arent about change

No. MLK Jr. Day is always the third Monday of January. The SB is always the first Sunday in February. No way it world work unless you started the season in August.

And the SB will never be on a Saturday. The ratings on TV would be too low for the NFL. They have it at the best time, when everyone is home. On Saturdays everyone is going out and doing errands. And for me, the SB ends at 7:30 PM at the latest. Why would I have trouble making work the next day?

On 1/8/2019 at 6:57 PM, apuszczalowski said:

yeah, I'm sure the African american Community will enjoy that their one big holiday is going to become the 'Official Hang over Day' after the Super Bowl.

I think most teams and Mayors of the winning Cities the last few years have been creating letters for the fans to use to call in sick or take the day off after they win...

In Washington DC after the 1983-84 SB on the following Wednesday I believe it was, no one showed at school, and instead, went to the parade to honor the team from Washington. School administrators were furious, as it cost the district much money.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:59 PM, Limeaid said:

Move it to Saturday and fans who work regular workweek can have hangovers on their day off.

Maybe get more ads from that chicken franchise that does not serve on Sundays too.

So, on the one hand, you want to accommodate drunks with hangovers that Sunday, but on the other hand, you also want to promote Chick-Fil-A, which is a very religious restaurant. I'm sure they would love that: get smashed, then have chicken from us on the Lord's day while you recover from your hangover.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, SoCal Deek said:

I've read a ton of comments on here over the years and I have to say that Super Bowl Saturday actually makes a ton of sense.  It costs nothing but solves a rather large loss of productivity challenge for millions of employees, employers and schools.  Think about it, it wasn't that long ago when there was no Thursday night football, and or even Monday night for that matter. 

Get it done Mr. Commissioner!

You would have to replace that day of lost productivity on Monday with a paid holiday Friday, since the NFL wants the host city to benefit from a full weekend of business. So Friday would have to be like Saturday, to allow workers to go there early.

22 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I know my current Bills Bar is full every Superbowl unless it was a pair of teams watchers are tired of.  I watched Bills Superbowls at Greveys and they were full as well. Sounds like you do not know many people.

Do some padding and make it Sunday before President's day.  President's day now is mostly about the Presidents on the bills these days anyways.

No. Presidents Day is the third Monday in February. The SB is the first Sunday in February. It would never work.

17 hours ago, GreggTX said:

No. It's just a game after all.

Yes, I wish people would get their priorities straight here. 

9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I think the season should start labor day weekend to have that Monday off (sorry, I know it influences some peoples family vacations) and the yes, the day after the Super Bowl being a Holiday as well would be a great way to finish it off.  Switch President's Day to the day after the big game.

The NFL season used to start Labor Day weekend in the 80's and 90's. The SB was always the last Sunday in January. If it was going to be in February, the NFL scheduled only one week between the conference championship games and SB instead of two (see SB XXV and XXVIII, where the Bills got shafted).

In the name of the almighty dollar, the NFL changed it so the season would begin the first weekend after Labor Day, since many families were on vacation and getting ready for back to school.That, and the bye week or weeks (there was one year where each team had two bye weeks in the season) necessitated moving the SB to February.

Edited by from_dunkirk

15 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I get what you're saying but considering Canada has "Family Day" which has nothing to do with their nation, then why is a free day off after the biggest sporting even in the world such a problem? Maybe they should make it a day where the cities that are being represented in the Super Bowl can get at least a local holiday off. So if this year if it's The Chiefs and Saints then let the fans of those cities enjoy a day off after the big game. To me, not all holidays need to be held to the same standard

I could care less what Canada does with their holidays when the topic is Super Bowl Sunday.  And now you're changing from making it a national holiday to a local one.  Which is better, because there is no way a football game is important enough to merit a national holiday distinction.

21 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm saying national holidays should be reserved for things of inmportance to the nation.  Thanksgiving for example is a national holiday, celebrating the first arrival of our ancestors.  Not military related but of obvious importance to our country historically.  Or Labor Day, etc.

I like football as much as the next guy, but to elevate a football game to such a level seems just absurd. 

Yet how do we celebrate Thanksgiving every year? By watching 12 hours of football "games" and stuffing our faces instead of celebrating it for it's intended purpose

Edited by Buffalo03

15 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yet how do we celebrate Thanksgiving every year? By watching 12 hours of football "games" and stuffing our faces instead of celebrating it for it's intended purpose

My family gives thanks for the blessings bestowed upon us.  You celebrate football.  I guess we have different priorities.

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My family gives thanks for the blessings bestowed upon us.  You celebrate football.  I guess we have different priorities.

I do the same but I also spend the whole day watching the football games which I'm sure you do as well

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

How about just pulling in the game start to 4? 

You can can be in bed by 9.

Also, If you can’t watch football without getting hammered you are probably already used to working mondays hungover.  

Im sure most upplanned call ins are for the champs fans, and that’s ok! 

In bed by 9 means you are under 6 or over 60

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or you could just move the game to Saturday and fix the ‘problem’ at no cost to anyone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketplace.org/amp/2018/01/30/business/even-hr-agrees-day-after-super-bowl-should-be-holiday

According to this article and other articles I found online the day after the Super Bowl is a problem for employers because they lose a ton of money from workers being unproductive or calling off. So you don't have to put the word problem in quotation marks because it does exist. However, I would support a Saturday Superbowl if they ever decided to do it

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

In bed by 9 means you are under 6 or over 60

Or just means you have no excuse not to drag your lazy arse into work because of a little headache  from that extra beer. 

Wow i I do sound like I’m over 60.  In two decade when I am I wonder what it’ll sound like 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

How about just pulling in the game start to 4? 

You can can be in bed by 9.

Also, If you can’t watch football without getting hammered you are probably already used to working mondays hungover.  

Im sure most upplanned call ins are for the champs fans, and that’s ok! 

I don't get hammered watching the Super Bowl but I do go to Super Bowl parties and do enjoy not having to work the next day. It makes it so much nicer. But I also find it hard to believe that it's only fans of the two teams representing in the Super Bowl that call off. The one article said 16 million people. I don't think that's only fans of the representing teams

51 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Or just means you have no excuse not to drag your lazy arse into work because of a little headache  from that extra beer. 

Wow i I do sound like I’m over 60.  In two decade when I am I wonder what it’ll sound like 

2 more decades like the last 2 decades and we can have an asylum filled with a million Bills fans  :)