Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I've read a ton of comments on here over the years and I have to say that Super Bowl Saturday actually makes a ton of sense.  It costs nothing but solves a rather large loss of productivity challenge for millions of employees, employers and schools.  Think about it, it wasn't that long ago when there was no Thursday night football, and or even Monday night for that matter. 

Get it done Mr. Commissioner!

Having games on Monday and Thursday added to their schedule and increased TV money by adding more games to a nationally televised schedule.

For the NFL it could cost them broadcasting money from advertisers cause a typical Saturday gives the non football fans plenty of other options of things to do.

The biggest hit would come from Bars and restaurants who now will have an already busy day become a bit busier and lose the extra days revenue as they go back to having a dead Sunday night. If your a bar or Restaurant Owner, you probably want one of your busiest and profitable days (Saturday) to stay as is and get an extra busy day on Sunday to increase revenue for that time.

As for productivity, is it any worse then say 'Cyber monday' for lost productivity? I thought that was determined to be one of the least productive days of the year. Should it become a National Holiday too?

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Having games on Monday and Thursday added to their schedule and increased TV money by adding more games to a nationally televised schedule.

For the NFL it could cost them broadcasting money from advertisers cause a typical Saturday gives the non football fans plenty of other options of things to do.

The biggest hit would come from Bars and restaurants who now will have an already busy day become a bit busier and lose the extra days revenue as they go back to having a dead Sunday night. If your a bar or Restaurant Owner, you probably want one of your busiest and profitable days (Saturday) to stay as is and get an extra busy day on Sunday to increase revenue for that time.

As for productivity, is it any worse then say 'Cyber monday' for lost productivity? I thought that was determined to be one of the least productive days of the year. Should it become a National Holiday too?

All good points, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of people do not watch the Super Bowl in a restaurant or bar.  In fact, I don't know anyone that does.  Most people watch at someone's house and have turned the game into a huge pot-luck binge eating fest.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

All good points, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of people do not watch the Super Bowl in a restaurant or bar.  In fact, I don't know anyone that does.  Most people watch at someone's house and have turned the game into a huge pot-luck binge eating fest.

I know my current Bills Bar is full every Superbowl unless it was a pair of teams watchers are tired of.  I watched Bills Superbowls at Greveys and they were full as well. Sounds like you do not know many people.

3 hours ago, wagon127 said:

The same number of people who would get off if Super Bowl Monday was a national holiday.

Do some padding and make it Sunday before President's day.  President's day now is mostly about the Presidents on the bills these days anyways.

Absolutely, any paid day away from work, im in !!

16 hours ago, Heitz said:

Election Day should be a National Holiday, the Super Bowl should just be a Saturday game.

Or do what I do and take Super Monday off and shake off the hangover with a little snowboarding... :beer:

i dont get the Saturday idea??? It always been Sunday, would be weird on Saturday. Besides who doesnt want an extra day off, 3 day weekends are the best.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

Nope - just move it earlier on Sunday - 5 - 6 pm start or play it on Saturday.

Edited by Rochesterfan

18 hours ago, Logic said:

Nope. 

But if we're adding national holidays, can I request that we add ELECTION DAYS? 

Well I prefer not having election day off but the days after election days off. No one wants to stay up till 2 or 3 am for results then have to get up for work the next day

12 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why does saying that a paid day off after the Super Bowl would be cool make me an entitled person? Are you serious? I'm not entitled at all. I'm tired of people that take little things like this and twist it into saying "oh this guy thinks he's owed something". I don't think I'm owed a damn thing and I'm far from entitled. 

If it needs to be explained to you, you are probably very entitled, or sheltered. It’s a big country and when “people” get federal holidays off you still get that a lot of people still go to work and I bet most could care less about a football game that happened the day before. This sounds like something a frat bro in his early twenties would say. Maybe it’s time to grow up. 

2 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

If it needs to be explained to you, you are probably very entitled, or sheltered. It’s a big country and when “people” get federal holidays off you still get that a lot of people still go to work and I bet most could care less about a football game that happened the day before. Maybe it’s time to grow up. 

Thank you. Well said. 

20 hours ago, TigerJ said:

No.  Private sector employers don't have to grant paid days off for national hollidays anyway, unless it's in a union negotiated contract.  Federal holidays are a drain on the economy, and increase the tax burden.  

This country is screwed up. We have one of the lowest rates of vacation time in the world. Employers are greedy and workers are not valued.

1 minute ago, The Bills Blog said:

This country is screwed up. We have one of the lowest rates of vacation time in the world. Employers are greedy and workers are not valued.

Feel free to leave anytime you’d like. That’s not a threat....I’m just saying.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Feel free to leave anytime you’d like. That’s not a threat....I’m just saying.

I have this strange feeling that you're probably also okay with our healthcare system and think the USA is "the greatest country in the world" despite all evidence to the contrary. ☺

• Like (+1) 1