Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

The host city would never go for a Saturday SB. That would be one less day the hotels and restaurants are filled.  When game is on Sunday, fans come into town on Thursday or Friday( and also allows for those who can’t get a weekday off to fly in on Saturday) and stay until Monday.  

Move the game to Saturday, fans still come in Thursday or Friday and head out Sunday morning.   

Edited by LabattBlue

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The host city would never go for a Saturday SB. That would be one less day the hotels and restaurants are filled.  When game is on Sunday, fans come into town on Thursday or Friday( and also allows for those who can’t get a weekday off to fly in on Saturday) and stay until Monday.  

Move over the game to saturday, fans still come in Thursday or Friday and head out Sunday morning.   

that is an interesting POV that makes a lot of sense.

That would diminish the return value of hosting the Super Bowl.

I blew off work every post Bills SB Monday’s (mostly to wallow in the mire). But yes, somethings gotta give. The late finishes mess up house parties -especially with the recent slew of great SB Games.  Networks should KO at 4:15 like the old days. It’s the freakin’ Super Bowl. No need to push it to prime time to increase viewership.

5 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

Uhm, no.

Why waste national productivity when you can just move the game to Saturday? There is a bye week in between, there is no need for it to actually be on a Sunday. You can actually have the game start at 8-9 pm on the East Coast and run late since it isn't a school night or work day the next day.

Edited by billsfan89

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Move the game to Saturday, fans still come in Thursday or Friday and head out Sunday morning.   

I’m not sure if it would hurt as much as you’d think. We had lunch Sunday at Del Frisco’s in Buckhead (maybe 15-20 minutes from the next SB - without traffic of course) which shares an entry with the Waldorf (until recently Mandarin Oriental). We were told rooms were $5,000/night for SB week and there was a 3 night minimum. Nobody blinks.  When you host a SB, you can call most of the shots. It seems it’s mostly corporate expense accounts, so you can get away with a lot! 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont agree that election days should be paid holidays either. I know here that most employers are required to provide each employee I believe an hour during work to vote if they are working and may not be able to otherwise. But you dont need a full day to do it and people shouldn't need a full day off of work closing all businesses down just to do it. Just like the few who have no self control and cant spend a few hours watching sports without getting so inebriated they will have trouble functioning the next day should be given a paid day off because the NFL played their championship game the night before. If you want to party hard during the game, take a sick day or vacation day on Monday. If you cant do that, maybe reevaluate your situation and lifestyle and figure out what's more important

I have never had an issue getting to work the day after the Superbowl, it's just another Monday..........

Have you tried voting in urban areas all over the country where people sometimes wait hours to vote. Those are the people that have to chose to work and get paid or not work and not get paid. Presidential elections are every four years and we can’t even get that, yet people I hope are joking are arguing about getting a day off to relieve their hangover celebrating a game. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

First-world problems. I don't feel sympathy for those who choose to get drunk. What would really make more sense is if Election Day every year is a national holiday.

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

But the Oscars aren't watched by 100 million people and no one drinks a ton and eats a ton or has Oscar parties. I feel like it's completely different. The Super Bowl is a much bigger event

So a holiday for fat gluttonous stupid drunks? Make perfect sense in America circa 2019. Might be the dumbest idea proposed on this forum, and that says a lot. 

Move it to Saturday or even to 4pm on Sunday. A 6:30+ start plus waaaay too many commercials and a halftime that has to now clock in at close to 30 minutes and it's barely watchable football as it is. I threw a SB party for about 7 or 8 years in a row but stopped about 4 years ago when just got to be that no one even stayed for the first half. No, that's not justification for a national holiday ffs, it's justification for rethinking a Sunday game that late. 

NFl, a league with no common sense because they fear common sense ruins the bottom line. I'd bet a Saturday Super Bowl would be watched more, at least the entire game. Local bars would do better, stores would do better as more people would entertain. 

It needs to be moved to Saturday. All the restaurants (take out and people watching the game there) and grocery stores (booze and food) would see an uptick in sales. More money would be spent, people would watch the whole game and everyone could recuperate on Sunday. It doesn’t make sense to do it on Sunday, other than tradition. 

1 hour ago, from_dunkirk said:

First-world problems. I don't feel sympathy for those who choose to get drunk. What would really make more sense is if Election Day every year is a national holiday.

It's not celebrating getting drunk amd as someone else said it's not about celebrating "corporate greed". It's celebrating the biggest sporting event of the world and all the get togethers between friends and family and parties that come with it. 100 million viewers and even people in other countries watch. It's something that should be celebrated and no one should have to worry about blowing a vacation day the day after

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Thank you (+1) 1