Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

But the Oscars aren't watched by 100 million people and no one drinks a ton and eats a ton or has Oscar parties. I feel like it's completely different. The Super Bowl is a much bigger event

Does what you just wrote make you think it should be a holiday? 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It astounds me how many people are sitting here saying "a paid day off after quite possibly the biggest sporting event in world? Screw that. The guy who came up with this idea is nothing but an entitled prick that feels like he's owed something". 

Give me a break. All you people realize we get less time off than any other country in the world right? There are countries overseas that get 5-6 weeks paid vacation and some that get more. There are countries that get unlimited sick time. We have to work our butts off and only given 2 weeks off a year until we work for 5 years at one job then we are granted a whopping 3rd week and then have to work 10 years a one job to get a 4th week. What's wrong with an extra paid day off for nothing? Canada gets one paid holiday off a month and some have nothing to do with their country. They have a holiday called "Family Day" where people just spend the whole day with their family. Why does a day have to mean something to the country in order to get it off? For the love of God, relax people

I think you might be the only one who needs to relax...

35 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It astounds me how many people are sitting here saying "a paid day off after quite possibly the biggest sporting event in world? Screw that. The guy who came up with this idea is nothing but an entitled prick that feels like he's owed something". 

Give me a break. All you people realize we get less time off than any other country in the world right? There are countries overseas that get 5-6 weeks paid vacation and some that get more. There are countries that get unlimited sick time. We have to work our butts off and only given 2 weeks off a year until we work for 5 years at one job then we are granted a whopping 3rd week and then have to work 10 years a one job to get a 4th week. What's wrong with an extra paid day off for nothing? Canada gets one paid holiday off a month and some have nothing to do with their country. They have a holiday called "Family Day" where people just spend the whole day with their family. Why does a day have to mean something to the country in order to get it off? For the love of God, relax people

We dont get a paid holiday off each month here.

We pretty much get the same as you except some are under different names

New Years Day (Jan)

Family Day (Feb)

Good Friday (Mar/Apr)

Easter Monday (Mar/Apr)*

Victoria Day (May)

Canada Day (July)

Civic Holiday (Aug)*

Labour Day (Sept)

Thanksgiving (Oct)

Remembrance Day (Nov)*

Christmas Day (Dec)

Boxing Day (Dec)

* - those holidays are  bank and government holidays and are not mandatory for all

I believe that some of those fall on days where you already have a different holiday such as presidents Day or MLK Day.

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

But the Oscars aren't watched by 100 million people and no one drinks a ton and eats a ton or has Oscar parties. I feel like it's completely different. The Super Bowl is a much bigger event

I would say the Oscar's come pretty close to the SB in terms of public interest. Many people have viewing parties and get togethers, along with pools for guessing winners just like the SB. Except that the SB is probably more testosterone fueled drinking environment then an Oscar Party. It's not that much bigger of an event....

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It should just be on Saturday.

I don’t care about “tradition.” I care about the better night to party.

Agreed.  We have a party every year, but everyone needs to leave by halftime to get the kids to bed.  Really ruins what is usually a great party, and the next day at work is brutal.  One of the few things I miss about living in Alaska is that the SB was over by like 6:30 pm.

47 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Maybe you should join a union or fight for the right for other people to be in a union. I understand your premise but getting a day off after the day of a sporting event to celebrate corporate greed seems to be a slap in the face to the same people you seem to be arguing for. You realize even with a federal holiday there will be many low income people going to work anyways, you know those same people you claim to be fighting for. How bout having a national holiday in order to vote. You can start there. 

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would say the Oscar's come pretty close to the SB in terms of public interest. Many people have viewing parties and get togethers, along with pools for guessing winners just like the SB. Except that the SB is probably more testosterone fueled drinking environment then an Oscar Party. It's not that much bigger of an event....

I have to say I've never been to an Oscar's party nor do I have knowledge that anyone i know has held one or attended one.  Given my zero interest in Hollywood stars might be the reason.  

• Like (+1) 1

It is one in my house. Every time I move jobs it is non-negotiable annual leave along with the Friday of the draft and the week of the Cheltenham Festival (horse racing). 

I have only worked Superbowl Monday once and it was the year I was in charge of a piece of legislation in the UK Parliament which was being debated that day. I had to sit in the officials box in the House of Lords for 4 hours supporting a Gov Minister in the debate on the Bill. Luckily I couldn't fall asleep because the box has the most uncomfortable seats in the world. 

Oh and just for good measure it was the year ***** Beyonce cause the power surge in the Superdome and I got even less sleep than I should have had.

42 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

We dont get a paid holiday off each month here.

We pretty much get the same as you except some are under different names

New Years Day (Jan)

Family Day (Feb)

Good Friday (Mar/Apr)

Easter Monday (Mar/Apr)*

Victoria Day (May)

Canada Day (July)

Civic Holiday (Aug)*

Labour Day (Sept)

Thanksgiving (Oct)

Remembrance Day (Nov)*

Christmas Day (Dec)

Boxing Day (Dec)

* - those holidays are  bank and government holidays and are not mandatory for all

I believe that some of those fall on days where you already have a different holiday such as presidents Day or MLK Day.

Well at least your holidays are pretty close to every month. I just started working at a job where we get MLK day off but almost every other job I've had we would get New Year's Day and then didn't get another holiday off until Memorial Day which is at the end of May. That's pretty much near 4 straight months of no holidays off.

I vote yes......the Europeans have way more holidays and vacation time than us North Americans.

We need more time to de stress ;)

Especially after we lose a 5k bet.....and we haven't told the wife ;)

Edited by JMF2006
Whoo Hoo I am a Veteran on the board ;)

43 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Maybe you should join a union or fight for the right for other people to be in a union. I understand your premise but getting a day off after the day of a sporting event to celebrate corporate greed seems to be a slap in the face to the same people you seem to be arguing for. You realize even with a federal holiday there will be many low income people going to work anyways, you know those same people you claim to be fighting for. How bout having a national holiday in order to vote. You can start there. 

I don't mind that. Why not have both? I've always thought election day should be a national holiday off as well but only president election day so every 4 years we gey off president election day. Agree 100% with you

59 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I have to say I've never been to an Oscar's party nor do I have knowledge that anyone i know has held one or attended one.  Given my zero interest in Hollywood stars might be the reason.  

Never been to one either, but they have them, usually it would be the wife's version of a SB party......

I dont agree that election days should be paid holidays either. I know here that most employers are required to provide each employee I believe an hour during work to vote if they are working and may not be able to otherwise. But you dont need a full day to do it and people shouldn't need a full day off of work closing all businesses down just to do it. Just like the few who have no self control and cant spend a few hours watching sports without getting so inebriated they will have trouble functioning the next day should be given a paid day off because the NFL played their championship game the night before. If you want to party hard during the game, take a sick day or vacation day on Monday. If you cant do that, maybe reevaluate your situation and lifestyle and figure out what's more important

I have never had an issue getting to work the day after the Superbowl, it's just another Monday..........

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No.  It's entertainment, not something that involves the country as a whole.  Those who like the movies could argue the day after the Oscars should be a holiday.  It would never end.

The national TV audience for Super Bowl averaged 111.3 million viewers for Fox

Last year's Academy Awards, which earned a 22.4 overnight rating, ultimately fetched 
32.9 million viewers for ABC

Not really comparable. 

I would guess far more people watch the Super Bowl than do anything to memorialize half of the federal holidays.