Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

39 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Actually, the SuperBowl has little effect on me or most of my friends, certainly no more than any other Sunday of NFL games.

The only time it even would affect me would be if the Bills or my adopted home team were playing, as happened when I lived in DC in ‘82 and SF in ‘94, and obviously all 4 Bills games in the ‘90s.  Even those 6 times, I never took Monday off, nor did I think I deserved to.  If I thought I would have needed to, I would have scheduled a vacation day in advance.

You do you. If that's what you like to do that's fine. I put in for the day after the SB every year. I don't do it because of drinking and partying (I'm in my 30's so I don't even really care about getting plastered or drinking much anymore) and I don't do it because I feel like I "deserve" it. I do it because it just allows me to relax more and enjoy myself more knowing I can watch the game and that I don't have to rush out the door at any point during the game so I can get to bed in time to get up early enough the next day. It's just nicer. A lot of people seem to think by saying all this that I feel like everyone deserves the day off. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying in my opinion due to the fact of how big the game is and the effect of lost revenue on employers we might as well get the day off. That's all I've been trying to say. I feel like a bunch of people just blew this out of proportion by calling me entitled. Which is ridiculous. They implied that I thought I was so much better than everyone else or that I hold football to some incredible high standard by thinking the day should be a holiday which is ridiculous. I get where they are coming from and I understand their reasoning and as much of a cool idea as I think it is, I don't ever expect it to happen. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

You do you. If that's what you like to do that's fine. I put in for the day after the SB every year. I don't do it because of drinking and partying (I'm in my 30's so I don't even really care about getting plastered or drinking much anymore) and I don't do it because I feel like I "deserve" it. I do it because it just allows me to relax more and enjoy myself more knowing I can watch the game and that I don't have to rush out the door at any point during the game so I can get to bed in time to get up early enough the next day. It's just nicer. A lot of people seem to think by saying all this that I feel like everyone deserves the day off. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying in my opinion due to the fact of how big the game is and the effect of lost revenue on employers we might as well get the day off. That's all I've been trying to say. I feel like a bunch of people just blew this out of proportion by calling me entitled. Which is ridiculous. They implied that I thought I was so much better than everyone else or that I hold football to some incredible high standard by thinking the day should be a holiday which is ridiculous. I get where they are coming from and I understand their reasoning and as much of a cool idea as I think it is, I don't ever expect it to happen. 

That’s all cool.  Perhaps it was a bit easier for me to ‘answer the bell’ because I lived in California, where the game is 3 hours earlier.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

The 3rd Monday in February is a holiday.

thry have talked of making it a 17-20 week seasonwith 17-17 games and 2 bye weeks so the super bowl could be scheduled the Sunday before Presidents’ Day.

thus can be a problem because it coukd fall on Valentine’s Day.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, The Senator said:

I remember, when I wore a younger man’s clothes, back in 1983 when I lived in DC and the Redskins dominated Miami in Super Bowl 17.  My friends and I celebrated til the bars finally threw us out, then we picked up a few female guests to take home and enjoy a game of naked Twister. ?

The next morning, I woke up incredibly late, jumped under the water, quickly dressed and raced to the office, arriving around 10:30, wondering how much trouble i’d be in.

i was the first one there!!!

Kids today would be disgusted by at least 6 things you posted there.

i still think there’s hope for them.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:07 PM, SinceThe70s said:

According to the site below the ratings and viewership for the late game this past Sunday crushed the late Saturday night game 19.7 to 15.9 and 35.89 to 29.38.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Those numbers might not translate to a Super Bowl weekend where there's only one game but my guess is the numbers this coming weekend will be similar.

Wow thats shocking to me.  I thought it would be in favor of Saturday and its not even close in the other direction.   How can a warm blooded nfl fan not tune in to a Saturday night game?

On 1/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, The Senator said:

I remember, when I wore a younger man’s clothes, back in 1983 when I lived in DC and the Redskins dominated Miami in Super Bowl 17.  My friends and I celebrated til the bars finally threw us out, then we picked up a few female guests to take home and enjoy a game of naked Twister. ?

The next morning, I woke up incredibly late, jumped under the water, quickly dressed and raced to the office, arriving around 10:30, wondering how much trouble i’d be in.

i was the first one there!!!

My memory is not so pleasant after Washington beat us in Superbowl. I went to work on time, parked at usual spot and when I got to my car it was covered with red and yellow paint.  I reported to the guards who said "no big deal, someone was just celebrated Superbowl win". Fortunately it was just water colors and washed out but I am sure the guards would have different opinion if Bills won and someone painted 50+ cars with Redsuck bumper stickers.

This goes right along with the line of thinking that players like Leveon Bell & others have thinking that this "Game" & it's players need to be more celebrated (& payed) than it is because of it & it's players thinking their so special , IT"S A GAME !

Sure i like the game but let reality in to the thought process it's still just a game & the day it is played is all but declared a national day partying which in truth is all's we really want another reason to party !! ?

On 1/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, All_Pro_Bills said:

I like the Saturday option or start the game on Sunday earlier.  But there are other events that warrant a national holiday before considering the Super Bowl.  9/11 for example.  And given today's social and political climate there's probably some self-proclaimed victimized group that would file a lawsuit saying that football offends them and to make it a national holiday would trigger them to sob and cry. 

Agreed.

We can not have a holiday for every minute little cause or event. It will never end. If this is allowed may as well go to a 4 day work week 10 hrs a day and have every Monday off all year then all these special interest groups can pick a Monday to have their special day recognized.

There are 10 to 12 holidays per year right now depending in what state you live in and what year it is. That is enough.

Yeah reading through the thread I'm now totally on the side that there enough holidays already. Simpler way is the Saturday option or start earlier. 

I have my kids on that weekend but have to bring them back to the ex, school and all the next morning, etc. The SB finishes around 10PM. Add the driving etc. They won't be in bed till 11PM. Just start the damn match earlier! What's the point anyway? Ratings are that much higher later in the day?

BTW I'd split the two conference matches: one on Saturday, the other on Sunday. Football is intense. 7+ hours of football in a day is too much unless you like the life of a couch potato. 

3 hours ago, T master said:

This goes right along with the line of thinking that players like Leveon Bell & others have thinking that this "Game" & it's players need to be more celebrated (& payed) than it is because of it & it's players thinking their so special , IT"S A GAME !

Sure i like the game but let reality in to the thought process it's still just a game & the day it is played is all but declared a national day partying which in truth is all's we really want another reason to party !! ?

This what you get when you combine the celebrity worship culture in this country with the "I'm special" movement.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:05 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Let me see if I have this straight.

Instead of having a few million call in sick or just not show up on Monday after Super Bowl and big cost to employers, we should make it a paid holiday and then EVERYONE does not show up and still gets paid for a much much higher staggering cost to employers.(you know this will be a mandated paid holiday if it ever comes to pass)

These threads are funny as ***** sometimes.

Edited by cba fan