Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

This country is screwed up. We have one of the lowest rates of vacation time in the world. Employers are greedy and workers are not valued.

True but I don’t think people should be arguing for a day off of work for their own hangover for watching a sporting event on the couch. How bout getting more vacation time to spend with family and traveling. 

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I cannot believe some think a football game should be put on the same level, say, as a holiday every November where we honor soldiers that gave their lives for their country and for our freedom.

??? I don't recall anyone saying it should be on the same level, unless you're implying for some reason that every holiday should be military-based.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No, but I think MLB Opening Day should be.  Call it "Spring Day" or something, but nationally it should be a recognition of surviving another winter and everyone should have the day off. 

They should also make the day after each game in the World series as a holiday. The US can have the World Series, Canada can have the Stanley Cup Finals.......

43 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

??? I don't recall anyone saying it should be on the same level, unless you're implying for some reason that every holiday should be military-based.

I think he is implying that making it a National Holiday would put it at the same level as other national holidays by giving it the honor of being a holiday too.

53 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

I'm saying national holidays should be reserved for things of inmportance to the nation.  Thanksgiving for example is a national holiday, celebrating the first arrival of our ancestors.  Not military related but of obvious importance to our country historically.  Or Labor Day, etc.

I like football as much as the next guy, but to elevate a football game to such a level seems just absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

If it needs to be explained to you, you are probably very entitled, or sheltered. It’s a big country and when “people” get federal holidays off you still get that a lot of people still go to work and I bet most could care less about a football game that happened the day before. This sounds like something a frat bro in his early twenties would say. Maybe it’s time to grow up. 

I'm not an entitled person. Not even close. I don't mind going to work the day after the Super Bowl. However, I prefer to have the day off which I put a vacation day in for and considering companies already lose a crap ton of money on the day after the super bowl from worker's being unproductive, I figured why not put it as a national holiday? If you do a simple google search, you will see it's something a lot of other people have wanted off as well. I find it hard to believe we're all entitled. It's the biggest sporting event in the world. To me if they want to make it a holiday, great. It would be nice. If not then whatever. 

Edited by Buffalo03

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm saying national holidays should be reserved for things of inmportance to the nation.  Thanksgiving for example is a national holiday, celebrating the first arrival of our ancestors.  Not military related but of obvious importance to our country historically.  Or Labor Day, etc.

I like football as much as the next guy, but to elevate a football game to such a level seems just absurd. 

I get what you're saying but considering Canada has "Family Day" which has nothing to do with their nation, then why is a free day off after the biggest sporting even in the world such a problem? Maybe they should make it a day where the cities that are being represented in the Super Bowl can get at least a local holiday off. So if this year if it's The Chiefs and Saints then let the fans of those cities enjoy a day off after the big game. To me, not all holidays need to be held to the same standard

Edited by Buffalo03

Saturday idea is cool. Trade it out for outdated holidays like President's Day. It's not like the exact date means anything anymore anyway. President's day is a combination of Lincoln, Washington, mostly, along with two other president's who I can't think of right now, who were born in February. So as long as the day is in Feburary anyway, which is when the Super Bowl is played annually now anyway, it would work perfectly. 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

I think the season should start labor day weekend to have that Monday off (sorry, I know it influences some peoples' family vacations) and yes, the day after the Super Bowl being a Holiday as well would be a great way to finish it off.  Switch President's Day to the day after the big game.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

No, it's just a football game and usually it's over by 11pm on the east coast 8pm on the west coast.

9 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

If it needs to be explained to you, you are probably very entitled, or sheltered. It’s a big country and when “people” get federal holidays off you still get that a lot of people still go to work and I bet most could care less about a football game that happened the day before. This sounds like something a frat bro in his early twenties would say. Maybe it’s time to grow 

Let's just pretend for one second that there has never ever been a football game played on Thanksgiving but I or someone else came on this board and said "there needs to be football games on Thanksgiving" would you still think we are entitled then? Because honestly, what's the difference? Thanksgiving is a National Holiday that we celebrate as a country but all anyone does is sit around all day, eat and watch football. It takes away from Thanksgiving's true meaning and what we really should be celebrating. But I bet you're ok with that. Imagine what everyone in this country would be like with if the NFL took away football on Thanksgiving. People would probably go ape crap over it. But you know as you stated it is just a game so no one should really give two craps if it's on on Thanksgiving and if we do it makes us all entitled, you included. But you're gonna tune in to the ultimate big game for this sport that 100 million people in our country alone is going to be watching. 100 Million. That's not counting people in other countries watching it as well. And you may or may not be at a Super Bowl party like millions across the country for a game that according to you "people don't give a crap about the next day". I bet some of your co-workers will be talking to you about the game from the day before that they don't care about. If that's how you feel the day after the game, then why bother watching? That's all I'm gonna say. Have a good day

Edited by Buffalo03

On 1/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, Heitz said:

Election Day should be a National Holiday, the Super Bowl should just be a Saturday game.

Or do what I do and take Super Monday off and shake off the hangover with a little snowboarding... :beer:

I could vote for this.

43 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let's just pretend for one second that there has never ever been a football game played on Thanksgiving but I or someone else came on this board and said "there needs to be football games on Thanksgiving" would you still think we are entitled then? Because honestly, what's the difference? Thanksgiving is a National Holiday that we celebrate as a country but all anyone does is sit around all day, eat and watch football. It takes away from Thanksgiving's true meaning and what we really should be celebrating. But I bet you're ok with that. Imagine what everyone in this country would be like with if the NFL took away football on Thanksgiving. People would probably go ape crap over it. But you know as you stated it is just a game so no one should really give two craps if it's on on Thanksgiving and if we do it makes us all entitled, you included. But you're gonna tune in to the ultimate big game for this sport that 100 million people in our country alone is going to be watching. 100 Million. That's not counting people in other countries watching it as well. And you may or may not be at a Super Bowl party like millions across the country for a game that according to you "people don't give a crap about the next day". I bet some of your co-workers will be talking to you about the game from the day before that they don't care about. If that's how you feel the day after the game, then why bother watching? That's all I'm gonna say. Have a good day

Dude you really need to get a clue. This will be my last post on this ridiculous topic. Your post makes zero sense, people are already off on thanksgiving because that’s the holiday just because there are other random things happening on that day doesn’t mean anything. Your post implies that you’d need the following day off after thanksgiving in order to recover from your drinking and partying the day before which would be your own dam fault. Most adults don’t have a problem with drinking and needing the next day off hence why you sound like a spoiled person. I for one work on Friday after thanksgiving, I could put in for the day off but I’m an adult that chooses not to. Do you think we also need the day after Christmas off too because there are great nba games on all day and you need to party it up and drink. Move on with this silly entitled opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

They should also make the day after each game in the World series as a holiday. The US can have the World Series, Canada can have the Stanley Cup Finals.......

I think he is implying that making it a National Holiday would put it at the same level as other national holidays by giving it the honor of being a holiday too.

The World Series and Stanley Cup finals are not as big as the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is and I'll say it again, The BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD. The World Series and Stanley Cup don't get anywhere close to the ratings the Super Bowl gets. A few years ago the Spelling Bee had higher ratings than the Stanley Cup so really there is no comparison. There is a reason I stated the Super Bowl specifically. Is the Super Bowl just a game? Sure but it's the Ultimate Game. If it only got watched by 30 million people I would not have wasted any time even posting this

No.  That's why you have floating holidays and vacation.  Most Americans don't watch, much less over indulge during it.

No offense to the OP, but the idea makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The World Series and Stanley Cup finals are not as big as the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl is and I'll say it again, The BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD. USA The World Series and Stanley Cup don't get anywhere close to the ratings the Super Bowl gets. A few years ago the Spelling Bee had higher ratings than the Stanley Cup so really there is no comparison. There is a reason I stated the Super Bowl specifically. Is the Super Bowl just a game? Sure but it's the Ultimate Game. If it only got watched by 30 million people I would not have wasted any time even posting this

Fixed it for you.  The BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD. is the world cup final.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Dude you really need to get a clue. This will be my last post on this ridiculous topic. Your post makes zero sense, people are already off on thanksgiving because that’s the holiday just because there are other random things happening on that day doesn’t mean anything. Your post implies that you’d need the following day off after thanksgiving in order to recover from your drinking and partying the day before which would be your own dam fault. Most adults don’t have a problem with drinking and needing the next day off hence why you sound like a spoiled person. I for one work on Friday after thanksgiving, I could put in for the day off but I’m an adult that chooses not to. Do you think we also need the day after Christmas off too because there are great nba games on all day and you need to party it up and drink. Move on with this silly entitled opinion. 

This is not about the drinking and partying and it's not about getting the day off after thanksgiving. We should not get days off after thanksgiving because of football. Those games don't really mean much of anything. The Super Bowl does. I'm not saying we should get the day off to recover from a hangover as everyone assumes, it's a day off the following day after the worlds biggest sporting event that millions of people watch.

And yes, we already get thanksgiving off, I don't see what that has to do with anything, but if you're ok with watching football all day long on thanksgiving, a holiday that we should be celebrating for it's intended purpose then that makes you somewhat of a hypocrite. We technically should not be watching and football technically shouldn't even be on but it is and we all spend 12 hours on that day watching it. If it wasn't ever on on Thanksgiving but someone said football should be on on that day, how is that any different? Lets just put a football game on for Memorial Day, The 4th of July, Labor Day and Christmas Day to and forget about those Holidays truely mean to

13 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

No.  That's why you have floating holidays and vacation.  Most Americans don't watch, much less over indulge during it.

Fixed it for you.  The BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD. is the world cup final.

Is the World Cup watched by 100 million people plus people from other countries as well. I don't know a single person I've ever talked to that's watched the World Cup

18 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Ok so after looking the World Cup is watched more than the Super Bowl. But the Super Bowl is definitely our biggest game and it's not even close.

• Like (+1) 1