Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

3 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

No. It seems like a dumb idea.

People in one jubilant city can get drunk and puke themselves on their own time.

Rioting is more fun with a relaxing paid day off they next day ;)

1 hour ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Have you tried voting in urban areas all over the country where people sometimes wait hours to vote. Those are the people that have to chose to work and get paid or not work and not get paid. Presidential elections are every four years and we can’t even get that, yet people I hope are joking are arguing about getting a day off to relieve their hangover celebrating a game. 

Maybe the problem is they need more voting centers or a process that moves people through quicker?

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

So a holiday for fat gluttonous stupid drunks? Make perfect sense in America circa 2019. Might be the dumbest idea proposed on this forum, and that says a lot. 

Move it to Saturday or even to 4pm on Sunday. A 6:30+ start plus waaaay too many commercials and a halftime that has to now clock in at close to 30 minutes and it's barely watchable football as it is. I threw a SB party for about 7 or 8 years in a row but stopped about 4 years ago when just got to be that no one even stayed for the first half. No, that's not justification for a national holiday ffs, it's justification for rethinking a Sunday game that late. 

NFl, a league with no common sense because they fear common sense ruins the bottom line. I'd bet a Saturday Super Bowl would be watched more, at least the entire game. Local bars would do better, stores would do better as more people would entertain. 

I bet bars and restaurants along with networks would prefer to keep it prime time on Sunday. Saturdays are already one of the busiest nights for restaurants and bars, sundays are typically a slower night, so keeping it as is allows them to keep Saturday as a regular busy night and make a typically slow Sunday and make it a busier night and make extra revenue.the networks always broadcast big events like awards shows on Sunday nights for the ratings, Saturday is not a good ratings night. Many non football fans tune in or go to parties even if they arent football fans not for the actual game, but because it's a Sunday night and usually not a night with other options to do things.

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont agree that election days should be paid holidays either. I know here that most employers are required to provide each employee I believe an hour during work to vote if they are working and may not be able to otherwise. But you dont need a full day to do it and people shouldn't need a full day off of work closing all businesses down just to do it. Just like the few who have no self control and cant spend a few hours watching sports without getting so inebriated they will have trouble functioning the next day should be given a paid day off because the NFL played their championship game the night before. If you want to party hard during the game, take a sick day or vacation day on Monday. If you cant do that, maybe reevaluate your situation and lifestyle and figure out what's more important

I have never had an issue getting to work the day after the Superbowl, it's just another Monday..........

I'm not saying I need to party hard or be fall down drunk or anything. In fact, I'm never that drunk when I leave a Super Bowl party. I'll tell you what, when you go to a Super Bowl party and you don't have to work the next day it makes everything so much nicer. You can chill with a bunch friends and family and just enjoy the scenery so much better. I can enjoy myself more knowing I don't have to leave in a rush after the game either because I don't have to get up early the next day

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The Superbowl should just be on a Saturday

Absolutely. This has to happen, it makes too much sense.

It wasn't really possible before 1990 since the Superbowl followed the typical schedule of one week off, and you wouldn't want teams to play a championship on short rest. Since they switched to two weeks off a.k.a. let's hype this thing like crazy, there's no reason not to have it on a Saturday. 

8 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The Superbowl should just be on a Saturday

I think it’s on Sunday as a favor to the host city.  People will likely spend an extra day, and thus extra money, in the host city if the game is on Sunday.  It is going to sell out no matter where, when, or how much the tickets cost, so the host city benefits a little more with a Sunday game.  

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I think it’s on Sunday as a favor to the host city.  People will likely spend an extra day, and thus extra money, in the host city if the game is on Sunday.  It is going to sell out no matter where, when, or how much the tickets cost, so the host city benefits a little more with a Sunday game.  

Yup.  If the game is on a Saturday everyone heads to the airport at 6am Sunday morning. This way Saturday is a huge economic day for the host city and they get an extra hotel night.

Plus, pro football is supposed to be played on Sunday.

I still don’t really understand the issue with going to work the day after watching a football game on TV that ends by 10:30 ET.  But that’s not gonna stop us from having a ten page thread about it every year!

• Like (+1) 1

Undoubtedly, no. As a state employee, I can guarantee we'll never get it off. But it's cool to think that the private sector could elect to close/change hours to accommodate the late parties and hangovers. 

I could get on board with the Saturday idea, albeit the NFL would never move it up one day, relinquishing an entire day of extra publicity and revenue. They have little incentive to move/change it, since 95% would still have it on or watch it regardless. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

8 hours ago, uticaclub said:

The Super Bowl is much more important than an election.

Nobody said it was and that's not what I was implying. I would agree, the election day of the President should be a day off not any other election day but obviously election day of our commander and chief is more important than the Super Bowl

8 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Sounds like something a very entitled and  basic person would say. Take off your day of work if you’re that much of a fan boy. 

Why does saying that a paid day off after the Super Bowl would be cool make me an entitled person? Are you serious? I'm not entitled at all. I'm tired of people that take little things like this and twist it into saying "oh this guy thinks he's owed something". I don't think I'm owed a damn thing and I'm far from entitled. 

Ive posted this before, either move it to Saturday at 5, or at the very least coincide it with Martin Luther King day Monday which is a national holiday and lands close to the superbowl every year but never the day after.   

Just synch em up.

And someone explain to me how ratings are better on a Sunday nite at 11pm vs Saturday at 9pm.

Its such a stupid system.  Jesus the NFL changed the catch rule DURING the playoffs just before the superbowl, dont tell me they arent about change

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Ive posted this before, either move it to Saturday at 5, or at the very least coincide it with Martin Luther King day Monday which is a national holiday and lands close to the superbowl every year but never the day after.   

Just synch em up.

And someone explain to me how ratings are better on a Sunday nite at 11pm vs Saturday at 9pm.

Its such a stupid system.  Jesus the NFL changed the catch rule DURING the playoffs just before the superbowl, dont tell me they arent about change

yeah, I'm sure the African american Community will enjoy that their one big holiday is going to become the 'Official Hang over Day' after the Super Bowl.

34 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

No but if your a fan of the one two teams playing you should get to call out sick at work the next day.

HR should set up rules for that to show proof of fandom 

I think most teams and Mayors of the winning Cities the last few years have been creating letters for the fans to use to call in sick or take the day off after they win...

I've read a ton of comments on here over the years and I have to say that Super Bowl Saturday actually makes a ton of sense.  It costs nothing but solves a rather large loss of productivity challenge for millions of employees, employers and schools.  Think about it, it wasn't that long ago when there was no Thursday night football, and or even Monday night for that matter. 

Get it done Mr. Commissioner!