Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

45 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The Superbowl should just be on a Saturday

But the tradition is Sunday.

and yes, this is going to be a major platform of mine when I become president as a member of the American Party (2 parties is a joke system).  Monday after Super Bowl is off and we have American day. I’m excited to have you all vote for me.  

59 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The Superbowl should just be on a Saturday

Been saying this for years.

If the league insists on dragging it out to a 5 hour spectacle then just move it to saturday or make kickoff 3-4:00pm EST on sunday.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

I don't even get MLK jr. day off

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

That's one of the reasons for an 18 game season. That would push the Super Bowl to Presidents Day weekend, which that Monday is a federal holiday

I like the idea of playing the Super Bowl on the Sunday before Presidents Day as well. But instead of an 18 game season, I'd start the season a few weeks later.

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Election Day should be a National Holiday, the Super Bowl should just be a Saturday game.

Or do what I do and take Super Monday off and shake off the hangover with a little snowboarding... :beer:

Me and friends did a Super Bowl ski weekend for years. Until the time I called home on SB Sunday and my son wouldn't talk to me. He was pissed I wasn't home to watch the game with him. 

It's too close to MLK day.  Believe me, i'd love more days off for whatever reason, but with most private sector employers not even recognizing MLK day, it's pretty doubtful that they would take on another unfunded liability from the feds.

having said that, i am super thankful that i've mostly worked from home the last 15 years.  it's a lot easier to hide a hangover when you dont have to physically show up somewhere

I have always thought it was best to have it on a Saturday. Especially how big/main stream the event has become.

Between Kids having school and parents working, it limits the ability for some to attend social gatherings.

I understand we don't need another "Holiday" as not all jobs give employees those days off, but for the majority not working retail, having it on a Saturday would be better all around.

The only time I was comfortable with it being on a Sunday was the one year our Bills were screwed to play on 1 weeks rest.
I believe that is the last time that has happened too..

It astounds me how many people are sitting here saying "a paid day off after quite possibly the biggest sporting event in world? Screw that. The guy who came up with this idea is nothing but an entitled prick that feels like he's owed something". 

Give me a break. All you people realize we get less time off than any other country in the world right? There are countries overseas that get 5-6 weeks paid vacation and some that get more. There are countries that get unlimited sick time. We have to work our butts off and only given 2 weeks off a year until we work for 5 years at one job then we are granted a whopping 3rd week and then have to work 10 years a one job to get a 4th week. What's wrong with an extra paid day off for nothing? Canada gets one paid holiday off a month and some have nothing to do with their country. They have a holiday called "Family Day" where people just spend the whole day with their family. Why does a day have to mean something to the country in order to get it off? For the love of God, relax people

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with others- move it to Saturday- it makes alot of sense. No way can the day after be a national holiday for so many reasons.

If people choose to party in excess for the Super Bowl then plan accordingly- either take a vacation day that Monday or have a sick day saved. If one does not have that option well that sucks for you.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree, it should be on a Saturday. And Superbowl Saturday would still alliterate. 

Failing that they should switch Saturday and Sunday around, so Sunday would be on the Saturday and Saturday would be on the Sunday, so Monday would become the Sunday and everyone would get the day off anyway.

How about this as a solution: at the age of 16 you register which team you support. If that team wins the Superbowl you get the Monday off. It'd be a bit like how some companies let their employees have their birthdays off.

I also propose that the government signs off on this as soon as Tom Brady retires.