Should The Day After The Super Bowl Be A National Holiday?

Buffalo03

It would be cool to actually get a poll on this but I feel like it should be. I usually put in for the day off of work on what I call "Super Monday". I feel though that since the Super Bowl is a huge event that roughly 100 million people watch every year which is a third of the country, that the day after should be considered a national holiday. 

It's been stated that most businesses have a ton of employees that call off on the day after every year. With all the parties and drinking and staying up late Super Bowl night, no one wants to go to work thennext day and shouldn't have to. 

What are your thoughts?

Election Day should be a National Holiday, the Super Bowl should just be a Saturday game.

Or do what I do and take Super Monday off and shake off the hangover with a little snowboarding... :beer:

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No.  It's entertainment, not something that involves the country as a whole.  Those who like the movies could argue the day after the Oscars should be a holiday.  It would never end.

But the Oscars aren't watched by 100 million people and no one drinks a ton and eats a ton or has Oscar parties. I feel like it's completely different. The Super Bowl is a much bigger event

I like the Saturday option or start the game on Sunday earlier.  But there are other events that warrant a national holiday before considering the Super Bowl.  9/11 for example.  And given today's social and political climate there's probably some self-proclaimed victimized group that would file a lawsuit saying that football offends them and to make it a national holiday would trigger them to sob and cry. 

8 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Election Day should be a National Holiday, the Super Bowl should just be a Sunday game.

Or do what I do and take Super Monday off and shake off the hangover with a little snowboarding... :beer:

The Super Bowl is much more important than an election.

• Haha (+1) 1

No.  Private sector employers don't have to grant paid days off for national hollidays anyway, unless it's in a union negotiated contract.  Federal holidays are a drain on the economy, and increase the tax burden.  

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

But the Oscars aren't watched by 100 million people and no one drinks a ton and eats a ton or has Oscar parties. I feel like it's completely different. The Super Bowl is a much bigger event

National holidays should be for things that are shared by the nation and based on its history, and that have had a lasting and meaningful impact on our history as a country.  Here's the currently recognized federal holidays:

New Year's Day

MLK Day
President's Day

Memorial Day

Independence Day

Labor Day

Columbus Day (not in all states)

Veteran's Day

Thanksgiving

Christmas

Of this list, the only thing that even remotely comes anywhere near a football game is New Year's Day.  And I would argue New Year's Day should not be a federal (national) holiday).

I am going to assume the OP posted this tongue in cheek.  To actually think that a football game merits the recognition as a national holiday demeans the meaning of the phrase.