Trump To Address The Nation Tonight

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Then they the Mexicans should pay for the wall as the orange menace promised

The finger-pointing is ridiculous.  Each side is uncompromisingly childish and arrogant on this topic.

13 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

You do realize it's the Democrats in the Senate that are holding out, right?

The House passed a bill that the Senate Dems refuse to vote on.

President Trump hasn't vetoed anything. He has taken no official action to cause the shutdown.

Interesting. That's not what I've heard. I believe it was Mitch who said, “The Senate will not waste its time considering a Democratic bill which cannot pass this chamber and which the president will not sign.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-democrats-to-vote-on-total-nonstarter-bills-ending-government-shutdown-opposed-by-trump-republican-led-senate

So how does that make it the Dems who vote on it? Republicans have the majority in the Senate the last I looked. This is all political posturing. Tom said it best up thread, both sides deserve blame.

When did I ever blame Trump for the shutdown?Please show me.

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I agree it shouldn't be the way either side works. However, it is always the way one side (and sometimes both sides) work. 

If you are on shutdown, call your local House Rep and Senator and ask them to vote for wall funding. The sooner that thin slice of government money is set aside for border security, the sooner the government can reopen. And while you are at it, ask your House Rep to work on a budget and not just stopgap funding - so federal employees will not be used as leverage again in a few weeks or months when the stopgap spending bill again runs out. 

I'm not a government worker. I just hate seeing politics utilize these people as leverage (not of their own doing).

I can get a union striking out a company locking out, because that's the nature of organized labor. However these people have no skin in the political game and are being used like they don't matter.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

aww... was your flat ass okay afterwards? 

I wish it was soft and toasty.  These desky jockey bureaucrats from the Arsenal were true pros to the meeting scene... Union people.

Strangely it wasn't me.  I am just a working slob from a field site... Swing shifter.  We learn to deal with a chaffed rosey Federal azz...

Then again... I don't think I am toting around a seat cushion for the once every 2 year safety meeting I have to attend.

LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I agree it shouldn't be the way either side works. However, it is always the way one side (and sometimes both sides) work. 

If you are on shutdown, call your local House Rep and Senator and ask them to vote for wall funding  an inefficient use of $6 billion dollars that is not part of a fully integrated strategy to address a complex problem - and in fact does not address the specific issues it is pointed at...but does make Trump minions Rush and Coulter happy.....so YES CALL YOUR REP!! . The sooner that thin slice of government money is set aside for border security, the sooner the government can reopen. And while you are at it, ask your House Rep to work on a budget and not just stopgap funding - so federal employees will not be used as leverage again in a few weeks or months when the stopgap spending bill again runs out. 

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

no, i didn't read the article because i have in the past.

When I came across that article I was searching for a list of all the times the dems made promises to negotiate border security after the R's gave in on amnesty. This became a hot topic here at PPP back in 2013 when some of us made a point of saying that the wall had to come first before negotiating on the "dreamers".

"And, most important, Pelosi and Schumer failed to use the one word that millions of Americans were longing to hear — compromise."

"But Trump did. That is why the president won the night. Schumer and Pelosi appealed to their base, while Trump made an effective appeal to persuadable Americans."

Writes Marc A. Thiessen in The Washington Post.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Not everyone follows politics. A lot of people only get headlines or what they hear in passing. 

In the end, this is really the truth. The left echo chamber is so remarkably tight, they miss this point and think they're winning. Again, look at the HUFFPO headline announcing that Pelosi and Shumer were a huge hit last night.

Trump spoke to America. Pelosi and Shumer spoke to each other.

Just that simple.

Just now, B-Man said:

"And, most important, Pelosi and Schumer failed to use the one word that millions of Americans were longing to hear — compromise."

"But Trump did. That is why the president won the night. Schumer and Pelosi appealed to their base, while Trump made an effective appeal to persuadable Americans."

Writes Marc A. Thiessen in The Washington Post.

Yep. Pretty much my point.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Interesting. That's not what I've heard. I believe it was Mitch who said, “The Senate will not waste its time considering a Democratic bill which cannot pass this chamber and which the president will not sign.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-democrats-to-vote-on-total-nonstarter-bills-ending-government-shutdown-opposed-by-trump-republican-led-senate

So how does that make it the Dems who vote on it? Republicans have the majority in the Senate the last I looked. This is all political posturing. Tom said it best up thread, both sides deserve blame.

When did I ever blame Trump for the shutdown?Please show me.

I'm not a government worker. I just hate seeing politics utilize these people as leverage (not of their own doing).

I can get a union striking out a company locking out, because that's the nature of organized labor. However these people have no skin in the political game and are being used like they don't matter.

The House passed a bill in the last congress by a substantial margin (the one Nancy said couldn't happen) and the Senate did not have 60 votes because the dems and Chuck Schumer lined up against it. I laugh every time you guys on the left talk about the R's having a "majority" in the Senate. You are being either disingenuous or just don'tknowshit.

12 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

When I came across that article I was searching for a list of all the times the dems made promises to negotiate border security after the R's gave in on amnesty. This became a hot topic here at PPP back in 2013 when some of us made a point of saying that the wall had to come first before negotiating on the "dreamers".

i used to look there to read Gordon Duff (? (i think)) years ago. they are more of neo-con type thinking than anything else. which in and of itself wouldn't be so bad as long as you understood that they were coming at you from that platform. it is the fact that they are trying to manipulate you in a obvious way by employing the subtle use of NLP. whereby capitalizing words in an ordinary sentence structure to give them added weight in an unsuspecting way.

i try to avoid agenda driven narratives that blatantly want to manipulate my thinking.

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Beautiful lady! 

Image result for statue of liberty

she would be much more beautiful with a couple of towers in the background.

Edited by Foxx
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The House passed a bill in the last congress by a substantial margin (the one Nancy said couldn't happen) and the Senate did not have 60 votes because the dems and Chuck Schumer lined up against it. I laugh every time you guys on the left talk about the R's having a "majority" in the Senate. You are being either disingenuous or just don'tknowshit.

Yes, disingenuous for sure. I know how the Senate works. That doesn't automatically mean that it's the D's fault.  Again, I'm aware that's it's political posturing.  I just can't fathom why McConnell would put himself in the political crosshairs like he did.

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

she would be much more beautiful with a couple of towers in the background.

Careful there, some newbies may not get your reference. (And had it already been 17 years? Where did the time go?)

39 minutes ago, nkreed said:

So how does that make it the Dems who vote on it? Republicans have the majority in the Senate the last I looked

It requires 60 votes to pass the Senate. The GOP doesn't hold that many seats so majority control does not mean they can get anything passed they wish. 

Fullsized image

0:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1