The Quarterback Shuffle 2019

12 hours ago, dneveu said:

I think if they agree to the option it's easier to negotiate an extension - it wouldn't have the same limitations that a franchise tag has where the extension has to be met by a certain time.  Foles can also just opt out for 2 mil and just sign where he wants and leave philly with nothing unless they tag.  

They cannot tag Foles. Foles has play option to buy free agency.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I am surprised DA still wants to play but the fact he does means the Bills' QB room is all but finalised. I'd expect them to bring an UDFA in after the draft for the early part of camp to give the old boy (DA) some time off a bit like the Browns did with that kid behind Tyrod, Baker and Stanton, but I think it is pretty clear the Bills want to go into 2019 with the 3 they have on the roster now. Josh to start, Matt to back up and DA to mentor. 

I am not surprised he wants to play since he would get more as #3 QB making veteran minimum than as a offense assistant working more hours.  There definitely is something wrong with that.

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Didn't realize there were so many QBs likely to be on the move.  Just like last season.

It's nice for once not to be shopping for a QB.

Very well said. After the turmoil of the last few years, it's nice that the Bills now have three QBs under contract.  I have to wonder when was the last time we could say that in January.

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eh. I hope they are still looking to upgrade the position.  We literally saw the best start in Barkley’s career. Stop settling Buffalo!

You may be wrong Biscuit.  It probably was Barkley's best start - whenever i saw him earlier he looked like Peterman.  Oh, no, that might be it.  Barkley reminds McDermott of Peterman!

Anyway, just about all the good journey men were lousy when they were young.  They stuck around because they were smart team players who were helpful in the QB room.  No one has a really good backup, and if they do, he's leaving. 

I think they want Barkley, with Anderson, to give Allen some stability.  They want to keep as much the same as possible going into year two.   Maybe in year three look to move on from Barkley, especially if you have a UDFA at QB on the practice squad in year two.  

21 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With a handful of notable QBs likely to, or expected to, leave their team, I'm curious in opinions or thoughts on where they may end up. Considering the lack of expected potential via draft at the position, I could see teams more willing to look to free agency for a signal caller. Here are my guesses:

Flacco: Jacksonville

Tannehill: Jets (as McCown retires...becomes the veteran backup)

Tyrod: Houston (backs up Watson)

Manning: (stays in NY)

Bridgewater: Miami

21 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

My scenario leaves the Giants with a glaring need atvQB, where they could trade for Nick Mullens or select the highest ranked QB in the draft. 

The other interesting scenario is Foles/Wentz in Phili, but ill let that play out to make a guess as to what happens. 

Lmk if I'm missing anyone

Rosen: New Orleans....traded after Arizona drafts Haskins.

7 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Name that I did not see mentioned is on Tampa are they going to pick up the option on Winston or is that another landing spot with Arians coming in.

They’ve already announced that Jameis will be their starting QB next year and Jameis was one of the main reasons Arians wanted the job. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they wanted RGIII as an "insurance policy" that could play a Jackson-like game.

I would think, if they took on Tyrod, they would let RGIII move on along, and that RGIII would try to find another landing spot.

Interestingly, faced with a non-competitive offense, Captain Dareus started "phoning it it" down in Jax, just like he did with the Bills.  So much for a new leaf.

I give Bortles credit that with a stalled run game, at least he tried to use his arm to make stuff happen even if he did throw picks. 

I think if they went back to having a top rushing game, it's possible Bortles might go back to adequate passing play.

What the Jags really need is to upgrade at QB.  I'm not sure Tyrod is that upgrade. 

It is not entirely impossible Flacco might be a step up as a bridge if they draft a rookie.

The only reason I think tyrod is an upgrade from bortles is the pics and his running ability. Tyrod doesn't have a better arm and isn't an overall better QB than bortles, I just think the jags could have used tyrod to help the run game and not throw pics. I don't think what happened this year was all on bortles, the jags didnt need alot from a QB with that defense they just needed someone that didn't throw pics and maybe some designed QB runs to soften up defenses and open up play action and tyrod can do that for you. Would tyrod be able to go out and keep up with offenses like the Rams, cheifs, and saints in the post season? No. But I think the jags would have had at least a respectable year with tyrod at QB.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, CommonCents said:

Flacco on the Titans would probably make them more of a contender. I’m not sure they give up on MM yet.

Tyrod to Baltimore would be great for AFC teams and their wild card hopes. Talk about doubling down on stupid by the Ravens.

Tannehill and the Skins is the perfect combo of MEHHHH.

Best landing spot for Foles/Wentz would be NYG but you know they won’t make that deal in the division. That will be the most interesting off season story outside of the will he won’t he retire (Brady and BB).

The Ravens (far better team than Titans) couldn't contend with him.

And you're right, they won't give up on Mariota---certainly not for near end of career Flacco..

Edited by Mr. WEO

Jags have to go after Foles.  Bringing back Mr Personality as head coach means they have to win next year or he’s gone.  Would be extremely stupid to keep Maroone and draft a QB at pick #7.  But not sure why Foles would wanna go there.  Bad vibe and their coach is a dead man walking.  

On 1/8/2019 at 4:56 AM, whatdrought said:

Bridgewater to NYG makes sense. He had a chance to make decent money but didn’t show out, so he’ll probably be looking at something more in line with low level starter. Gives the giants a good backup/someone to plug in if Manning falters. Also, Schumer had him in MIN. 

Also, I think David Carr will legitimately be on the market. I think the giants make too much sense for that as well.

You mean David Carr?