The Quarterback Shuffle 2019

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I love that the Bills finally, FINALLY, don't have a QB situation that needs to be resolved going into the offseason.  About time.

This is the first time in my Bills adult life I can actually remember this statement being true.

Jacksonville is too screwed on the cap to go for any big time FA signing.  I think they either make a move for Haskins or if the Eagles are actually entertaining Foles over Wentz the Jags should give them a godfather offer for Wentz.  I tend to believe the Eagles are going to keep both Wentz and Foles to buy some time on making a decision, unless Foles wins another SB.

I think the Giants run Eli back, I just expect someone else to be more aggressive on getting Haskins than them.

Miami - Bridgewater makes a lot of sense, he's a local kid and IMO the one guy on the market teams could talk themselves into as a long term solution.  

Washington - Tannehill or Flacco, a short term "opportunity" deal makes a lot of sense for Washington and either of them, given their status in the market and Smith's uncertainty.

Baltimore - Tyrod as a guy with somewhat a similar style to Jackson and a guy they know, although I could see him wanting to go somewhere like Denver with a better chance at winning the job.

22 minutes ago, dneveu said:

My guess

Tannehill - Jacksonville - He's good at handoffs and dumpoffs

Flacco - Oakland/Vegas with a rookie behind him.  I don't think they can move carr for much of anything as his base salary is very high for a back-up QB.  

Tyrod - Washington

Foles - Miami - This probably depends on the coach, but i assume he'd want to go to NYG with Shurmur... but they won't trade in the division and i think Miami may give them the best offer of picks/players

Manning - i think he sticks for a year with a rookie eventually taking over.  If not, Fitzpatrick and a rookie. 

Bridgewater - Tampa 

Carr - New Orleans, Cincinnati, or New England

I think RG3 sticks in baltimore as LJ's backup

Gruden won’t go for TT in Washington- also we think Alex is done after the leg? In that case I See Flacco in Washington 

Just adding a name I’ve yet to see Nick Mullins might have trade value for miners to consider. 

Also 2-3 QBs from draft that might  end up starting. 

Foles should be be starting somewhere. He turned Phillys season.  I don’t see the Wentz vs Foles conundrum as being so simple. One is a better thrower and athlete, one is just a winner. 

Foles will not leave Philadelphia.  Even if he wins them another Super Bowl.  Even if some team literally offers him a wheelbarrow of cash.  I just do not see that happening.  

Tyrod Taylor will not be a starter for any team, especially after Mayfield walks onto that scene in the middle of a game and transforms the Browns into a respectable offense.  

I wouldn't rule out Andy Dalton being on the move as well, especially if they hire somebody else besides Lazur or Hue Jackson.  

See i think Bridgewater to Jacksonville makes teh most sense. He can dink and dunk and has short and medium range accuracy that allows you to play conservative Marrone-ball. He is the anti-Bortles. Jacksonville is in a bad way. Even if they cut Bortles, Malik Jackson, and Calais Campbell, they would only have 19 million in cap.  

Jacksonville's situation is a great lesson for why Brandon Beane tore it down and ate all of that dead cap. Jacksonville should be adding to their team and trying to compete, but it's going to be all patchwork going forward. If I am a team like teh Bills, I take advantage of them and pilfer their roster, maybe trade for a guy like Brandon Lindner. 

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Gruden won’t go for TT in Washington- also we think Alex is done after the leg? In that case I See Flacco in Washington 

Just adding a name I’ve yet to see Nick Mullins might have trade value for miners to consider. 

Also 2-3 QBs from draft that might  end up starting. 

Foles should be be starting somewhere. He turned Phillys season.  I don’t see the Wentz vs Foles conundrum as being so simple. One is a better thrower and athlete, one is just a winner. 

I think TT is the placeholder while Smith finishes rehab - but i see where you're going.  Maybe Carr ends up there then?

Foles issue is money - theyre over the cap and they're immediately under if they trade him/release him - not necessarily if they try to trade Wentz.  They'll still have to cut people to try and bring in impact players - but they're over the cap while losing darby and graham.  

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

See i think Bridgewater to Jacksonville makes teh most sense. He can dink and dunk and has short and medium range accuracy that allows you to play conservative Marrone-ball. He is the anti-Bortles. Jacksonville is in a bad way. Even if they cut Bortles, Malik Jackson, and Calais Campbell, they would only have 19 million in cap.  

Jacksonville's situation is a great lesson for why Brandon Beane tore it down and ate all of that dead cap. Jacksonville should be adding to their team and trying to compete, but it's going to be all patchwork going forward. If I am a team like teh Bills, I take advantage of them and pilfer their roster, maybe trade for a guy like Brandon Lindner. 

What's the point in patchworking a mediocre team when you have no QB.  If it doesn't work in 2019 they're going to have to blow it all up.  Bortles kept/traded/cut murders their cap space no matter what - and why push money into 2020 when its likely that you can't win in 2019.  

Just now, dneveu said:

I think TT is the placeholder while Smith finishes rehab - but i see where you're going.  Maybe Carr ends up there then?

Foles issue is money - theyre over the cap and they're immediately under if they trade him/release him - not necessarily if they try to trade Wentz.  They'll still have to cut people to try and bring in impact players - but they're over the cap while losing darby and graham.  

You're on target will philly. No easy answer for them.

Foles Trade seems the obvious business decision, but what if he runs the birds deep into the post season again?  

Wetnz could step in right now but he’s third string.  

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You're on target will philly. No easy answer for them.

Foles Trade seems the obvious business decision, but what if he runs the birds deep into the post season again?  

Wetnz could step in right now but he’s third string.  

You almost have to gut the team to keep Foles though - I'm not sure Pederson would want to do that.  At the very least you're cutting your starting LT in Peters, and probably trading Agholor for... nothing (and they already lose Tate).  Might have to move on from Bennett or Long (not ideal when you already lose Graham), and possibly Kelce.  Doing all that allows you to keep both QBs, add some depth players, and maybe make a play to sign some contributors in free agency.  Free Agents make more money than the guys you have though so its tough.  

Agholor, Peters, and Long are the likely trio i would move on from.  9 million seems to be a lot for a slot receiver who hasn't had that good of production, Peters is 36 and banged up a lot, and Long isn't worth the contract.

This assumes that Foles wants to stay, and is fine with playing without an extension (incredibly unlikely).

4 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Philly isnt going to get much for Foles. One year at 20 mil.if they pick up the option.

I think if they agree to the option it's easier to negotiate an extension - it wouldn't have the same limitations that a franchise tag has where the extension has to be met by a certain time.  Foles can also just opt out for 2 mil and just sign where he wants and leave philly with nothing unless they tag.  

Edited by dneveu

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

You almost have to gut the team to keep Foles though - I'm not sure Pederson would want to do that.  At the very least you're cutting your starting LT in Peters, and probably trading Agholor for... nothing (and they already lose Tate).  Might have to move on from Bennett or Long (not ideal when you already lose Graham), and possibly Kelce.  Doing all that allows you to keep both QBs, add some depth players, and maybe make a play to sign some contributors in free agency.  Free Agents make more money than the guys you have though so its tough.  

Agholor, Peters, and Long are the likely trio i would move on from.  9 million seems to be a lot for a slot receiver who hasn't had that good of production, Peters is 36 and banged up a lot, and Long isn't worth the contract.

This assumes that Foles wants to stay, and is fine with playing without an extension (incredibly unlikely).

I think if they agree to the option it's easier to negotiate an extension - it wouldn't have the same limitations that a franchise tag has where the extension has to be met by a certain time.  Foles can also just opt out for 2 mil and just sign where he wants and leave philly with nothing unless they tag.  

Even if they do a sign and trade. 20 mil is the starting point. My guess is your looking at minimum Garrapolo, Carr money. I cant see a team giving up a first and 125 mil.

33 minutes ago, dneveu said:

What's the point in patchworking a mediocre team when you have no QB.  If it doesn't work in 2019 they're going to have to blow it all up.  Bortles kept/traded/cut murders their cap space no matter what - and why push money into 2020 when its likely that you can't win in 2019.  

Because if their quarterback didn't blow, then they have a shot at competing. That is not a bad roster. They also have Marquise Lee coming back. They should not tear it down yet. But Bortles has to go one way or another. 

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With a handful of notable QBs likely to, or expected to, leave their team, I'm curious in opinions or thoughts on where they may end up. Considering the lack of expected potential via draft at the position, I could see teams more willing to look to free agency for a signal caller. Here are my guesses:

Flacco: Jaxonville 

Tannehill: Washington

Tyrod: Baltimore (backs up Lamar)

Manning: Retires

Bridgewater: Miami

My scenario leaves the Giants with a glaring need atvQB, where they could trade for Nick Mullens or select the highest ranked QB in the draft. 

The other interesting scenario is Foles/Wentz in Phili, but ill let that play out to make a guess as to what happens. 

Lmk if I'm missing anyone

If Tyrod goes to Baltimore, what happens to RGIII?

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

To this point I don't see any indication Eli Manning is contemplating retirement.  There's a connection to Jacksonville with Couglin.  Buyers should be wary of Foles.  My suspicion is that his success with the Eagles is purely situational and whether his game can translate to another team is questionable.  And we don't know for sure the Eagles will move him as we don't know what's going on with Wentz as this is his second major injury in two seasons.   I don't think the Broncos are satisfied with Keenum so I'd add them to teams looking to upgrade or change.  Wonder if Elway regrets passing on Josh Allen or Josh Rosen when both were there for him?  Maybe Flacco to Washington?  This would eliminate the need to uproot and move as its not a very far drive from Baltimore.  I don't see the 49ers trading Mullens as he's a cheap, young back up.  Maybe throw in the Raiders as you never know what Gruden is thinking so maybe Carr will be in play too. 

Other teams that need to start thinking about the future soon.  Chargers, Patriots, Lions as Stafford really hasn't done anything for them the past several seasons.  

What's great is the Bills are not on the list.  For the first time in a long time they are set at the QB spot going into the off season with Allen, Barkley, and Anderson.  They have some needs to address elsewhere on offense and defense but they are at positions. 

Elway couldn't take the chance on them after his Paxton Lynch debacle.  Plus they wanted a QB to try and win now.  Their stuck with Keenum and his contract for 2019.  

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Oh I’m assuming they move one if they keep the other,

trading Wentz would bring loads of collateral to build and maintain a team.  

Keeping Foles kills the cap but see above.

its just not an easy call

Both are late 20’s so could play for a decade or more. 

As long as Bridgewater is not in MIA, I don't care.  I think he has the most talent of that group. :)

Here are my predictions:

Manning: Stays with Giants.  They may bring in competition, but no way they let a vet walk when they have Barkely.  Without a good QB draft, the replacement for Manning is no better than Manning. 

Flacco:  Jacksonville. 

Tannehill:  Washington. 

Tyrod: NYG, Manning's backup. 

Bridewater: Denver.  Denver finally hits on a FA QB. 

Foles:Miami.   NO way Eagles trade him to an  NFC team and have him pull a "Foles" on them in the Playoffs!

If I'm the eagles I try and trade wentz to the raiders and keep foles. Jacksonville coaches and management hate throwing plus turnovers tyrod makes sense.  Joe flaco fits best with giants if manning leaves because of the long ball. Tannehill seems like a fit to Washington. Derek Carr to Miami.