Has the ghost of Scott Norwood's 1991 miss been finally exorcised?

There were three Buffalo plays or events that made ESPN's top 50 NFL Great Moments of All Time list (or whatever it was called) a few years ago: Wide Right, The Comeback, and the Music City Miracle. I remember them doing a countdown and releasing a moment every week during the year. It was like 10 years ago.

Well, a few years ago in 2017, Buffalo lost the title of having the greatest comeback ever to the New England Patriots, who came back from a 25-point deficit to beat Atlanta in Super Bow LI. Yes, I do realize the Bills had a larger deficit (32 points) to come back from against Houston in 1993, and that the Bills were missing three key players due to injury at that time (Kelly, Thomas, Bennett), and that Houston's defense was better than Atlanta's; but the consensus on the Buffalo message boards at that time was the title rightfully belonged to New England, since theirs was done on a grander stage. I was bummed after that, knowing we would be second fiddle to the Pats again.

But on Sunday, we got a present. Cody Parker missed a 43-yard field goal at home, known around the world as the "double doink", causing his team to lose 16-15 to the Eagles.

To me, this was a bigger miss than Scott Norwood's 47-yard "wide right" miss in Super Bowl XXV. For one, it was shorter, hence easier. Two, 28 years ago, a 47-yard FG was harder to make, especially on grass. It was a 50-50 proposition back then, or less, unless you were Gary Anderson or the like. It was nothing to be embarrassed about. But a 43-yarder today should be a chip shot, unless the weather or field conditions are bad.

Therefore, Scott Norwood is no longer a goat to me. People will now be talking about Parker's miss for years to come, and forget about Norwood. Norwood can finally live his life in peace, and people can stop teasing me about "wide right" everytime I get into a football argument with fans of other teams.

Edited by from_dunkirk

11 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

There were three Buffalo plays or events that made ESPN's top 50 NFL Great Moments of All Time list (or whatever it was called) a few years ago: Wide Right, The Comeback, and the Music City Miracle. I remember them doing a countdown and releasing a moment every week during the year. It was like 10 years ago.

Well, a few years ago in 2017, Buffalo lost the title of having the greatest comeback ever to the New England Patriots, who came back from a 25-point deficit to beat Atlanta in Super Bow LI. Yes, I do realize the Bills had a larger deficit (32 points) to come back from against Houston in 1993, and that the Bills were missing three key players due to injury at that time (Kelly, Thomas, Bennett), and that Houston's defense was better than Atlanta's; but the consensus on the Buffalo message boards at that time was the title rightfully belonged to New England, since theirs was done on a grander stage. I was bummed after that, knowing we would be second fiddle to the Pats again.

But on Sunday, we got a present. Cody Parker missed a 43-yard field goal at home, known around the world as the "double doink", causing his team to lose 16-15 to the Eagles.

To me, this was a bigger miss than Scott Norwood's 47-yard "wide right" miss in Super Bowl XXV. For one, it was shorter, hence easier. Two, 28 years ago, a 47-yard FG was harder to make, especially on grass. It was a 50-50 proposition back then, or less, unless you were Gary Anderson or the like. It was nothing to be embarrassed about. But a 43-yarder today should be a chip shot, unless the weather or field conditions are bad.

Therefore, Scott Norwood is no longer a goat to me. People will now be talking about Parker's miss for years to come, and forget about Norwood. Norwood can finally live his life in peace, and people can stop teasing me about "wide right" everytime I get into a football argument with fans of other teams.

Let me recap the logic on display here.   A 25 point comeback was more impressive than a 32 point comeback because it was on a 'bigger stage', yet a missed FG against the defending champs in a wild card game is somehow a bigger miss than a potential Super Bowl winning kick??

Uh...great post.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Are you kidding me.  Sorry, but this "wild card" missed FG is not a bigger miss than the potential Super Bowl game winning FG. Additionally, Parker's "miss" was considered blocked.  Just the slightest touch on the ball can completely change the trajectory of it, in which we all were witness to.   Your logic must be from a millennial's perspective.  You must be young.  Someone, please shut down this ridiculous post.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Let me recap the logic on display here.   A 25 point comeback was more impressive than a 32 point comeback because it was on a 'bigger stage', yet a missed FG against the defending champs in a wild card game is somehow a bigger miss than a potential Super Bowl winning kick??

Uh...great post.  

I see what you are saying, but I think the fact that Parker missed a chip shot basically on a 12-4 teams, vs. a bad 9-7 team in the wild card round, is a bigger choke than a 47-yard miss back in 1991 in the Super Bowl. Or at least they are the same. It's time someone else besides Norwood got jeered.

5 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Are you kidding me.  Sorry, but this "wild card" missed FG is not a bigger miss than the potential Super Bowl game winning FG. Additionally, Parker's "miss" was considered blocked.  Just the slightest touch on the ball can completely change the trajectory of it, in which we all were witness to.   Your logic must be from a millennial's perspective.  You must be young.  Someone, please shut down this ridiculous post.

To me, a block is the same as a miss. He should have kicked it higher to avoid a potential block.

8 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

Seriously? A kick that could have won a Superbowl vs a kick in a wc game? Not even close. 

I am just tired of other teams' fans making fun of the Bills. Whenever I have a disagreement with someone, they remind of Buffalo's four straight Super Bowl losses and Norwood's Wide Right, or the Music City Miracle. It is time other teams got bore this brunt. Buffalo has not been great over the past 19 years or so, but we have done a lot better than franchises like Cleveland or Oakland or Tampa Bay.

Just now, from_dunkirk said:

I am just tired of other teams' fans making fun of the Bills. Whenever I have a disagreement with someone, they remind of Buffalo's four straight Super Bowl losses and Norwood's Wide Right, or the Music City Miracle. It is time other teams got bore this brunt. Buffalo has not been great over the past 19 years or so, but we have done a lot better than franchises like Cleveland or Oakland or Tampa Bay.

I get it, whenever someone misses a FG and I hear the announcer say "wide right" it brings up bad memories but there will have to be a significant bigger choke by a kicker to unseat Norwood. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

That's not really going to change until they win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2

First of all, Scott Norwood was never a goat in Buffalo. Second, the logic you use to elevate the New England comeback win over the Bills comeback applies the field goal attempt, one was a wildcard game, and the other a Super Bowl. If Norwood makes that kick, the entire narrative about that team and that era of the Buffalo Bills is changed.