Does CFB Championship game end the “they can beat a pro team” stuff finally?

Alphadawg7

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet Alabama just got blown out by another College team.  Case closed.  They won’t win nor cover against a pro team.  It’s not even a question.  

Win and cover 28.5 points can’t be used interchangeably as you are trying to do. No one talked about winning. Vegas talked about 28.5. That’s where Las Vegas would have set the line at that point. It never was an asinine discussion. At that point in the year the Bills were on pace for one of the worst offenses of all-time and Bama was rolling.

The Bills then inserted a backup rookie WR from Alabama and their 2nd corner into the starting lineup and improved greatly. Do you not see the irony of this? The Bills leading receiver was a backup at Alabama and realistically would have been their 4th or 5th option if he were still there. Wallace was a walk-on. We aren’t talking about former Alabama stars (although Wallace finished his career strong). We are talking about the “worker bees” of their program making a massive difference on our team as rookies. 

I’m going to bow out of this now because otherwise it will keep going round and round. The point was that it is possible that 1/3 of the 1st round (Miller is projecting 1/4 but not including Lawrence or a few others that can go in the 1st) is made up of guys from those 2 schools. People keep referring to “a college team” and the point was these 2 teams are different. Clemson best ND by 30, Wake Forest by 60 and Louisville by 61. Those are all good to great college programs. Their talent and program is in a different league than Clemson. The conversation was never about “a college team.” It was about 1 (now 2) very specific examples that have won the last 4 titles. These programs are young pro teams not good college teams. If you are playing there now, you will be playing on Sunday. That’s where recruiting is. The question was, and is, “would a team full of NFL players that are 19-22 cover 28.5 against a low end NFL team?” That was the question that Vegas raised. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And again, there really is a talent gap.

Even most first rounders don't play nearly as well as rookies as they do two or three years down the road. And while a lack of mental preparation is a large part of that, there's simply a lot more to it.

At age 21 and 22 these kids aren't nearly as strong as they will be in a couple of years, as men rather than young men.

Talent, as far as it would affect a college team playing an NFL team, isn't about eventual potential talent. It's about ability to play well RIGHT NOW, today!!!! Without a training camp. Without a first season and without two or three more. If you're talking about talent as far as having the kind of body frame that can be built into an NFL player, yeah, Alabama and maybe Clemson are beyond the other college teams. But if you're talking about talent in terms of whether a starter from the Crimson Tide can step right out of Tuscaloosa and one week later show the kind of talent to look good in the NFL ... nah. There would absolutely be a "talent at this moment gap," to make up an awkward phrase. Put 'im up against a fourth-rounder who's put on 25 pounds, spent three or four or five or however many years getting stronger in the pros, grooving his skills and learning what it takes to play in the pros and there might be one or two guys who could manage it. Maybe.

Even with the 28.5 points, I'd bet the pros in a second. And I don't bet.

It wouldn't be surprising to see the college guys lose by sixty. Especially as probably half of those eventual first rounders are still learning the college game as 19 or 20 year-old red-shirt freshmen or whatever.

You apparently haven’t been following college football, or at least Clemson and Alabama.  These guys are grown-ass men.  Alabama’s offensive and defensive lines are as big (or bigger than) the Bills’ lines.  Guys coming to the nfl out of these 2 programs are not magically putting on 25 pounds when they join the league.  25 year olds are not generally bigger and stronger than 21 and 22 year olds.

At least 14 guys from last year’s Alabama team (mostly day one and day two picks) played in the NFL this year, including guys who didn’t even start.  And this year the numbers will probably be similar.  This year’s Alabama team probably fielded 7-9 guys who will be first round picks this year or next.  No NFL team has that many first round picks on its roster. And while most of those guys will improve somewhat after being drafted, they are all going to be starters or rotational guys right away, not four or five years from now.  That is a massive amount of elite athletic talent.

Hell, there is not even a massive talent gap between guys in the NFL and a lot of guys who aren’t. Every week we see guys who are street free agents come in and make difference in actual NFL games.  

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Win and cover 28.5 points can’t be used interchangeably as you are trying to do. No one talked about winning. Vegas talked about 28.5. That’s where Las Vegas would have set the line at that point. It never was an asinine discussion. At that point in the year the Bills were on pace for one of the worst offenses of all-time and Bama was rolling.

The Bills then inserted a backup rookie WR from Alabama and their 2nd corner into the starting lineup and improved greatly. Do you not see the irony of this? The Bills leading receiver was a backup at Alabama and realistically would have been their 4th or 5th option if he were still there. Wallace was a walk-on. We aren’t talking about former Alabama stars (although Wallace finished his career strong). We are talking about the “worker bees” of their program making a massive difference on our team as rookies. 

I’m going to bow out of this now because otherwise it will keep going round and round. The point was that it is possible that 1/3 of the 1st round (Miller is projecting 1/4 but not including Lawrence or a few others that can go in the 1st) is made up of guys from those 2 schools. People keep referring to “a college team” and the point was these 2 teams are different. Clemson best ND by 30, Wake Forest by 60 and Louisville by 61. Those are all good to great college programs. Their talent and program is in a different league than Clemson. The conversation was never about “a college team.” It was about 1 (now 2) very specific examples that have won the last 4 titles. These programs are young pro teams not good college teams. If you are playing there now, you will be playing on Sunday. That’s where recruiting is. The question was, and is, “would a team full of NFL players that are 19-22 cover 28.5 against a low end NFL team?” That was the question that Vegas raised. 

Alabama just lost by more than 28.5 to a college team. Case closed.  They wouldn’t win or cover.

And no, the question was NOT that, now you’re changing narratives.  It was would ALABAMA beat or cover the spread.  Not a group of “NFL players between 19-22”.  Stop making your own story and rules up lol.

PS:  Many people here, in the media, and social media literally said Alabama would also outright win the game.  So you keep saying no one said that, but that’s completely wrong.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Alabama just lost by more than 28.5 to a college team. Case closed.  They wouldn’t win or cover.

PS:  Many people here, in the media, and social media literally said Alabama would also outright win the game.  So you keep saying no one said that, but that’s completely wrong.  

as a college football addict, i keep reminding myself every year to not pay ANY serious attention to

game results

stats

momentum

polls

until the rivalry games in November or the games (thank goodness) where two top25 teams squares off in pre-conference play

stomping on 10 cupcakes is totally meaningless as a reference point to the games that only matter at the end of November...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And no, the question was NOT that, now you’re changing narratives.  It was would ALABAMA beat or cover the spread.  Not a group of “NFL players between 19-22”.  Stop making your own story and rules up lol.

Again, stop using “win or cover” interchangeably. Cover is the question. Alabama IS A team of 19-22 year old pros. We are starting their backups!! Every single guy that starts there will be in the NFL. You need to pay attention to recruiting to understand that. The recruiting world has changed drastically in the last 5 years. This conversation has changed drastically because of it. These aren’t regional teams anymore. They are all-star teams assembled with the best players around the country. They are young pros not yet in the league. They are at these schools because they prepare guys for the next level. Alabama pays their strength coach more than Akron pays their head coach. 

No reasonable person talked about an outright win. I started the thread when I saw the post from Westgate Las Vegas. It was ALWAYS about 28.5. Some people elected to change the narrative to strengthen their case. I did, and still believe, that Clemson and Alabama could be within 4 TDs of a bad NFL team. They certainly have more 1st rounders playing than any NFL team does. There isn’t a talent gap, size gap or speed gap. There is an experience gap that is massive. We literally plugged in a backup WR that would have been their 4th or 5th option (Jeudy, DeVonta Smith, Ruggs, Waddle and Irv Smith) this year and he was our number 1. 

This conversation can’t be had with someone that doesn’t follow the specific personnel. You cant look at this situation and say “no college team could cover.” You need to analyze the matchups to see where the issues would lie. The interior DL of Alabama and Clemson would give FITS to Bodine, Miller and Teller. The guys at Clemson will both be off the board by 20. They are better now than any of our interior OL. Ferrell will be a top 10 pick as a pass rusher. Are we supposed to believe that Jordan Mills will shut him down? Trevor Lawrence is thought of as the best QB prospect since Peyton. Ettiene is going in round 1 next year. The receivers are young but loaded, etc... I don’t know how anyone paying attention can look at the specific players and not see this?  Sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling “LA LA LA LA LA LA” doesn’t move the conversation forward. This isn’t a conversation that can be had at 10,000 feet. It needs to be held at the player level. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, stop using “win or cover” interchangeably. Cover is the question. Alabama IS A team of 19-22 year old pros. We are starting their backups!! Every single guy that starts there will be in the NFL. You need to pay attention to recruiting to understand that. The recruiting world has changed drastically in the last 5 years. This conversation has changed drastically because of it. These aren’t regional teams anymore. They are all-star teams assembled with the best players around the country. They are young pros not yet in the league. They are at these schools because they prepare guys for the next level. Alabama pays their strength coach more than Akron pays their head coach. 

No reasonable person talked about an outright win. I started the thread when I saw the post from Westgate Las Vegas. It was ALWAYS about 28.5. Some people elected to change the narrative to strengthen their case. I did, and still believe, that Clemson and Alabama could be within 4 TDs of a bad NFL team. They certainly have more 1st rounders playing than any NFL team does. There isn’t a talent gap, size gap or speed gap. There is an experience gap that is massive. We literally plugged in a backup WR that would have been their 4th or 5th option (Jeudy, DeVonta Smith, Ruggs, Waddle and Irv Smith) this year and he was our number 1. 

This conversation can’t be had with someone that doesn’t follow the specific personnel. You cant look at this situation and say “no college team could cover.” You need to analyze the matchups to see where the issues would lie. The interior DL of Alabama and Clemson would give FITS to Bodine, Miller and Teller. The guys at Clemson will both be off the board by 20. They are better now than any of our interior OL. Ferrell will be a top 10 pick as a pass rusher. Are we supposed to believe that Jordan Mills will shut him down? Trevor Lawrence is thought of as the best QB prospect since Peyton. Ettiene is going in round 1 next year. The receivers are young but loaded, etc... I don’t know how anyone paying attention can look at the specific players and not see this?  Sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling “LA LA LA LA LA LA” doesn’t move the conversation forward. This isn’t a conversation that can be had at 10,000 feet. It needs to be held at the player level. 

attend a pro training camp for the rookies, they have to teach them everything and i mean everything about how to play pro football

children can't play against the men, many of the children will turn out to be starters in the pros some day

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

attend a pro training camp for the rookies, they have to teach them everything and i mean everything about how to play pro football

children can't play against the men, many of the children will turn out to be starters in the pros some day

Another post in this thread utterly devoid of facts, failing to respond to the well-supported argument that Bama and Clemson could absolutely compete with bottom tier NFL teams.

Alright, I didn't want to have to do this again, but you have forced my hand here.  And I mean no disrespect to you, nothing personal here, but its just you are saying so many incorrect statements that now I have to address them in order to fairly participate in the dialogue with you.  I am going to use capital words to highlight very important words, not to simulate "yelling".

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Alabama does not have a single NFL player on its roster.  They are STILL in COLLEGE.  You are absolutely categorically wrong on this.  Not one kid on Alabama has gone through an OTA, practice, training camp, preseason, etc let alone taken a single NFL snap.  They are NOT NFL ready as they sit in their locker room right now.  NFL game is massively different than the College game. You and others are falsifying these statements (unintentionally) and using the kids FUTURE selves to project them into a SINGLE game RIGHT NOW as is.  Rookies week 1 of the NFL have the benefit of an entire NFL offseason to get ready for that game, and VERY VERY VERY FEW come in week 1 and dominate as high quality starters in their very first NFL game. 

Further more, its 100% factually wrong that all 11 starters on either side of the ball are NFL Draft picks right now this very second.  There are SOME kids going to the NFL in this draft, others are NOT ready and will NOT be in the draft THIS year, some not for 2 or 3 more years..  You dont get to take the kids FUTURE peaks and project them into a game TODAY.  There are no time machines.  So you are 1 million percent categorically wrong in this statement, its not even defensible.  

Secondly, this is FOOTBALL...more people play through a game than just the starters.  To just focus on the starters is to just prove the flaws in any case you can make.  The bench plays a LOT across any football team.  This isn't Baseball or Basketball where you can ride the starters if you need to.  Football is fast, violent, and exhausting, players rotate a lot. 

And MOST importantly...who cares if players make the NFL, that does NOT make them ALL good starters in the NFL.  All 22 of Alabamas starters across the offense and defense THIS year will NOT all be GOOD NFL starters for their whole careers, and in fact, it won't even be HALF them and thats me being generous.  In fact, all 22 won't even make the NFL as there are not currently 11 players on the Alabama offense that will go to the NFL.

First, MANY MANY MANY people discussed Alabama actually winning the game. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean others were not saying that.  So you can stop saying no one said that.  

Secondly, all year this was about Alabama, not Clemson.  So lets stick with your "it was about covering the spread" argument only as thats the only opinion in this discussion as you claim to have never said anything about them winning the game and I will take your word on that.  The case for Alabama was that it could cover that spread all year (and win, but again, we will leave that part behind here) as they sit right now this second.  Not guys who go through NFL training camps, this Alabama team today.  One argument is that it was the best defense ever for Alabama.  Yet funny, everyone says this isnt even close to their best defense and it has flaws.  That defense just let a 19 year old freshman eat them alive in COLLEGE and blow them out.  The Alabama offense couldn't score and got blown out against a COLLEGE defense.  

Alabama was not able to cover the proposed 28.5 point spread in a COLLEGE game.  Lawerence is an EXCITING prospect.  But here is a REALITY check.  If you took Lawerence right this second, with no NFL training of any kind, no camp, no preseason, no practice, no OTA's etc...and put him on an NFL offense and made him start against an NFL defense today, he would get eaten alive.  He is going to probably be the first pick in the draft (barring injury or some sort of Leinart, Brohm, Locker type dip in performance) one day, but TODAY he is NOT ready to START an NFL game as he stands right now.  Yet that same kid just obliterated that famed Alabama defense. 

The Alabama Defense is NOT going to be able to stop an NFL offense nor is that Alabama offense going to be able to score on an NFL defense.  They would lose by 50+ points, and its not even really debatable.  Thats like all the foolish comments that said Mayweather was going to lose that bout a couple weeks ago against the utterly dominant young kickboxing champion. It was laughable, and I hate Floyd but even I knew that was going to be a joke as Floyd actually knocked him out in what was an exhibition. 

Please dont tell me I dont follow, just because I didn't feel like having to rewrite what I have already written in this thread and others because you didn't take the time to scroll back and read my posts.  Every single point you have made on this subject is not rooted in the reality of this situation.  You cant take the "future" versions of these kids, its these kids TODAY and there are not 22 kids ready to start AND BE GOOD AT IT at the NFL level on either roster.  And you DONT get to combine their rosters, its one or the other.  I find it MOST hilarious that people NOW want to change the narrative to Clemson since Alabama already proved they cant even beat a College team nor covered the proposed 28.5 spread.  But this whole entire discussion was ALL about Alabama, not Clemson.  Doesn't matter though, Clemson wouldn't do it either.  

And Lawerence may end up being the best QB prospect since Manning, but he is NOT that yet.  Manning had 3 more years of school, learning the game, and growth BEFORE he Entered the NFL, and then guess what...HE WAS NOT GOOD AS A ROOKIE!!!!  Now you want me to believe that a FRESHMAN QB, with 3 years less school, physical growth, coaching, and development who also has NOT gone through an NFL OTA, practice, training camp, or preseason is going to step on to a field against an NFL defense today and light them up????  COME ON MAN, the absurdity of that is so off the charts I cant believe someone is authentically even suggesting it.  

PS:  Peyton Manning:  Threw 3 INTS in his FIRST NFL game.  He also threw 11 INT' in his FIRST 4 games.  Stop stop stop with this Lawerence can beat an NFL defense today stuff.  Lawerence has 2 more years min to play BEFORE he can be the next Manning Prospect, and even then he likely won't be ready to light up an NFL defense in his first start BEFORE he has even taken a single snap of NFL practice just like Manning wasn't.

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Another post in this thread utterly devoid of facts, failing to respond to the well-supported argument that Bama and Clemson could absolutely compete with bottom tier NFL teams.

I think Alpha is right and that a bad NFL team would utterly slaughter Bama or Clemson. What do so many top prospects in the league say in the midst of training camp? "Man, everyone here is good." Both Clemson and Alabama have weak spots on both sides of the ball that an NFL coaching staff  -- which is far more prepared than any college staff going into a game -- will ruthlessly and repeatedly expose. 

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wallace was a starter all season in his senior year. He got better every year--which is kinda Alpha's point! He's a FAR better player now than he was at Bama. The coaching in the NFL is also far, far, far, far more rigorous than in college.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And Lawerence may end up being the best QB prospect since Manning, but he is NOT that yet.  Manning had 3 more years of school, learning the game, and growth BEFORE he Entered the NFL, and then guess what...HE WAS NOT GOOD AS A ROOKIE!!!!  Now you want me to believe that a FRESHMAN QB, with 3 years less school, physical growth, coaching, and development who also has NOT gone through an NFL OTA, practice, training camp, or preseason is going to step on to a field against an NFL defense today and light them up????  COME ON MAN, the absurdity of that is so off the charts I cant believe someone is authentically even suggesting it.  

PS:  Peyton Manning:  Threw 3 INTS in his FIRST NFL game.  He also threw 11 INT' in his FIRST 4 games.  Stop stop stop with this Lawerence can beat an NFL defense today stuff.  Lawerence has 2 more years min to play BEFORE he can be the next Manning Prospect, and even then he likely won't be ready to light up an NFL defense in his first start BEFORE he has even taken a single snap of NFL practice just like Manning wasn't.

Stop with your “it’s not debatable” nonsense.  You haven’t refuted a single statement that Kirby made, so stop pretending you have.

No one is saying Lawrence or Tua would light up the NFL right now (although Desaun Watson did as a rookie), but it’s ridiculous to argue that they aren’t better right now than some of the stiffs who won games in the NFL this year, like CJ Betheard and the immortal Brock Osweiler.

• Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

Stop with your “it’s not debatable” nonsense.  You haven’t refuted a single statement that Kirby made, so stop pretending you have.

No one is saying Lawrence or Tua would light up the NFL right now (although Desaun Watson did as a rookie), but it’s ridiculous to argue that they aren’t better right now than some of the stiffs who won games in the NFL this year, like CJ Betheard and the immortal Brock Osweiler.

Watson passed for 105 yards in his first NFL start after 2 more years of college experience, and NFL offseason consisting of OTAs, practice, and preseason and whole throwing to Elite NFL received in Hopkins. 

#Refuted.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Watson passed for 105 yards in his first NFL start after 2 more years of college experience, and NFL offseason consisting of OTAs, practice, and preseason and whole throwing to Elite NFL received in Hopkins. 

#Refuted.

And he beat the Bengals on the road in that game.

#Owned

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Alpha is right and that a bad NFL team would utterly slaughter Bama or Clemson. What do so many top prospects in the league say in the midst of training camp? "Man, everyone here is good." Both Clemson and Alabama have weak spots on both sides of the ball that an NFL coaching staff  -- which is far more prepared than any college staff going into a game -- will ruthlessly and repeatedly expose. 

Wallace was a starter all season in his senior year. He got better every year--which is kinda Alpha's point! He's a FAR better player now than he was at Bama. The coaching in the NFL is also far, far, far, far more rigorous than in college.

Foster was the backup. I have a good friend that played for Saban in college and Belichick in the NFL. There is virtually no difference between the 2 according to him (except Saban is much more vulgar). 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahahaha OMG.  So you think Tua passing for 105 yards is gonna cover a 28.5 point spread against NFL team!?!?

#ObliteratedAndStillRefuted.

Well, since NFL teams who pass for 105 yards or less routinely lose by less than 28.5 points, your point is utterly meaningless.

#Exposed

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Well, since NFL teams who pass for 105 yards or less routinely lose by less than 28.5 points, your point is utterly meaningless.

#Exposed

Huh?  How does this even make sense to this topic?  This isn’t 2 NFL teams facing off, it’s a pro team versus an amateur team lol.  I mean you haven’t really provided any points in trying to make this case that Alabam, who couldn’t cover 28.5 points against a college team would somehow cover 28.5 against a pro team.

Let’s just agree to disagree ;) 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Foster was the backup. I have a good friend that played for Saban in college and Belichick in the NFL. There is virtually no difference between the 2 according to him (except Saban is much more vulgar). 

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this story being accurate as no reason to doubt your authenticity.  

However, if you polled 100 players I would bet your friend is the only one who would say that.  I have several friends who played in both college and NFL and none of them would share that opinion.  They talk about how big of a transition it is for rookies and what a shock it is all the time when curbing people’s expectations of rookies first entering the NFL.  Even the pain the 2nd day after a game is a lot worse from the physicality of the NFL game.  The language, playbooks, schemes are all way more immense and complicated.  The biggest thing they always say is how much faster the game is. 

And its not even about them, this is a well known part of the game and transition for rookies and why most don’t come flying out of the gate in their first NFL game.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this story being accurate as no reason to doubt your authenticity.  

Howecer, if you polled 100 players I would bet your friend is the only one who would say that.  I have several friends who played in both college and NFL and none of them would share that opinion.  They talk about how big of a transition it is for rookies and what a shock it is all the time when curbing people’s expectations of rookies first entering the NFL.  Even the pain the 2nd day after a game is a lot worse from the physicality of the NFL game.  The language, playbooks, schemes are all way more immense and complicated.  The biggest thing they always say is how much faster the game is. 

And its not even about them, this is a well known part of the game and transition for rookies and why most don’t come flying out of the gate in their first NFL game.

Again, I’m not talking about “insert coach here.” We are talking about Alabama and in turn Saban. They are at a different level. We aren’t talking Miami and Mark Richt (or formerly Mark Richt). The move from Saban to the NFL is minimal (which is why his guys flourish so early).