Does CFB Championship game end the “they can beat a pro team” stuff finally?

Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Fun Fact: The last time a Nick Saban coached team lost by more than 14 points was against........ The Buffalo Bills when Saban coached the dolphins and JP Losman was the QB for the BILLS

Also Fun: JP is a member of the Clemson coaching staff. 

That last night was an NFL football game taking place before the guys are in the NFL. 

There will not be many starters on that field last night who will not play in the National Football league. There will be a handful at most... and sure some special teamers and backups who played some snaps but in 5 years the 44 starters in this game I suspect 35 of them at least are playing in the National Football League. 

Those two programmes are so far ahead of the rest of college football at the moment it is scary. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I think I would trade our WRs for Clemson's or Bama's straight up.  I think we could put together better OL and DL with kids playing tonight.

I'll take the Ross kid from Clemson in a HEARTBEAT.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I think he’d go #1 overall. I have never seen a kid that young play the game so well. He is going to be special, hopefully not for the fish or pats*.

I'm not so sure about that. He's played what, 11 whole games? While he's looked good, he better pack on about 20 lbs of muscle or he'd get absolutely crushed at the next level. We've all seen this type of run by various jags in college, only to be "meh" in the pro's...and vice versa.

That said, he reminds me of Flacco. Great season for him, nonetheless. Loved seeing Clemson DESTROY 'bama in the second half! Hahaha?

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Using the Bills in that scenario was always dumb.  It's pretty clear all the talk about us being the worst team in the league was way off base.

The bills weren't even the worst team ppg wise in the league.  They ended ahead of jax and Arizona.

While I do doubt the notion that a college team could beat an NFL team in the modern era, I DO want to point this out: Every year for 42 years, an exhibition game was played between a college all-stars team made up of the best seniors in college, and an NFL team. The College All-Stars won 9 of those 42 games. So a little more often than once every 5 years, a team made up of college players DID beat an NFL team. Granted, the NFL teams may not have played all their starters or tried that hard given that these were exhibition games, but nevertheless. I thought this was really interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

I read that Alabama said they could beat the Cardinals.  They said the Cardinals were trash and they would beat them.   

It would never happen, the NFL team would always win.  There is a big difference between the NFL and the best college team.  This can be put to rest. 

You are wrong on that - historically speaking. 

You probaly don’t remember the

Chicago College All Star Games

The NFL Champions played a roster of College All Stars, and the kids won 9 of the 42 games and tied the Pros twice. 

Just posted this and saw Logic had done pretty much the same thing right above my post. :w00t:

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, section122 said:

The bills weren't even the worst team ppg wise in the league.  They ended ahead of jax and Arizona.

at the time they were easily among the worst teams

context context

context

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That last night was an NFL football game taking place before the guys are in the NFL. 

There will not be many starters on that field last night who will not play in the National Football league. There will be a handful at most... and sure some special teamers and backups who played some snaps but in 5 years the 44 starters in this game I suspect 35 of them at least are playing in the National Football League. 

Those two programmes are so far ahead of the rest of college football at the moment it is scary. 

Revisionist history alert.

All year, we heard how Bama was the best CFB team in history, and everyone was a first rounder and no team could hold a candle to them.  No team could cover 28 against the Bills or Cards or Raiders except this Bama team. 

Not from you, mind you. But Clemson was an afterthought by National Media types.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the thing: by definition, the Bills roster is filled, entirely, with college athletes deemed good enough to play at the next level (the NFL).  How do we know?  B/C they are playing in the NFL.

Alabama's roster is not.  They will send a HUGE number of kids to the NFL in the draft this year, I'm sure.  But it won't be anything close to the entire starting lineup.  And of those, how many will actually stick beyond their first training camp?  

Folks seem to forget that the absolute WORST NFL team is FILLED with college all stars who have demonstrated they are good enough to play at the next level, even if they don't play as well as others around them at that level.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

While I do doubt the notion that a college team could beat an NFL team in the modern era, I DO want to point this out: Every year for 42 years, an exhibition game was played between a college all-stars team made up of the best seniors in college, and an NFL team. The College All-Stars won 9 of those 42 games. So a little more often than once every 5 years, a team made up of college players DID beat an NFL team. Granted, the NFL teams may not have played all their starters or tried that hard given that these were exhibition games, but nevertheless. I thought this was really interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

Hasn’t been played in almost half a century tho...

20 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Revisionist history alert.

All year, we heard how Bama was the best CFB team in history, and everyone was a first rounder and no team could hold a candle to them.  No team could cover 28 against the Bills or Cards or Raiders except this Bama team. 

Not from you, mind you. But Clemson was an afterthought by National Media types.

Go back and find my first posts on the subject. The only revision I would like is I included Oklahoma in with these two. I was wrong on that. This pair is way ahead. 

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Here's the thing: by definition, the Bills roster is filled, entirely, with college athletes deemed good enough to play at the next level (the NFL).  How do we know?  B/C they are playing in the NFL.

Alabama's roster is not.  They will send a HUGE number of kids to the NFL in the draft this year, I'm sure.  But it won't be anything close to the entire starting lineup.  And of those, how many will actually stick beyond their first training camp?  

Folks seem to forget that the absolute WORST NFL team is FILLED with college all stars who have demonstrated they are good enough to play at the next level, even if they don't play as well as others around them at that level.

We crunched the numbers last year. Every starter on the 2016 Alabama defense is now in the NFL. By the end of this next draft every starter on the 2017 defense will be too. Offense it is more like 60/40 (60 in league 40 not) I grant you.... but Alabama and Clemson don't have 5 or 6 stars and then a bunch of guys who will never play on Sundays. The talent isnt nearly as spread out in college football as it used to be. If you start for one of those teams the chances are you will play (and likely start) in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Go back and find my first posts on the subject. The only revision I would like is I included Oklahoma in with these two. I was wrong on that. This pair is way ahead. 

Oh I believe you and agree. I just know there was never a host of articles about if Clemson could cover against an NFL team.

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

#8 made more great catches in one single quarter of football than the entire Bills WR group did in two years.  

Except in the NFL a number of them would have been incompletions as only had one foot down inbounds.

Not faulting him they were still some amazing catches, but those are the rules in the NFL.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

The crazy thing for Clemson is that Lawrence would be the clear cut #1 overall pick in this draft and Ross would likely go top 5. Both freshman!

I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm all about Clenin Ferrell. Not sure if he's gonna be there at 9 considering the shine a good performance in the NC game gives a player.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Really?  Someday you will figure it out.  Shaq was dominant at the College level.  You just made the counter point against the whole College team could beat NFL team and you dont even realise it.

Shaq at the level he played at this season would dominate a college Olineman.  Now after they have had an NFL offseason or two then you have something.

Bruce Smith got a whole 6.5  sacks his Rookie season.

That stat is to show the transition to the NFL for College players not any kind of Buce Shaq comparison.

I was only kidding about a college team beating an Nfl team...

regarding Shaq, id still take the current Clemson defensive ends over him.  An NFL off-season or two has never fixed Shaqs lack of quickness or pass rush skills.  Edge setting, Shaq perhaps would be the run down man....3rd downs tho (money down), i would prefer those Clemson guys

11 hours ago, dabills21 said:

Kidding aside, that Clemson QB is something special.  He's be a top 10 pick this year as a 19 year old true freshman.  

And you know what's going to happen right? Some perennial winner like Pittsburgh, New England, Green Bay etc are going to bottom out in 2 years and wind up with Lawrence. 

55 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And you know what's going to happen right? Some perennial winner like Pittsburgh, New England, Green Bay etc are going to bottom out in 2 years and wind up with Lawrence. 

That would be so fitting. Could also see Luck having some injury issues and Lawrence winding up in Indy. (Definitely don't want to see any QB lose their livelihood.)

Lawrence better get himself one hell of an insurance policy. Kind of an odd situation he's in. Already reached the apex at the collegiate level as a freshman. I'm sure he'd like to be an all time college great, but we're ALL about money at some point. Gotta wait 2 years to get paid. 

Edited by LSHMEAB