Bills interviewed Falcons ST coach Keith Armstrong (hired by TB)

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'd be concerned about the consistency of those rankings. So from 2013 on his unit is moving all over the rankings (#17,#9,#22,#7,#19,#10). May as well be throwing darts Bird Box style

I don’t follow Atlanta that closely. But I wonder if it has more to do with his personnel than anything? 

It looks like he is very capable of coaching a good special teams unit by all of the top 10 rankings. 

18 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'd be concerned about the consistency of those rankings. So from 2013 on his unit is moving all over the rankings (#17,#9,#22,#7,#19,#10). May as well be throwing darts Bird Box style

So is that a think now your the 4th person ive seen drop a bird box reference ?

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t follow Atlanta that closely. But I wonder if it has more to do with his personnel than anything? 

It looks like he is very capable of coaching a good special teams unit by all of the top 10 rankings. 

Crossman has also had well rated teams.  Unless you have input into 2 good kickers the ranking of a special teams coach is subjective to who is available to play and how well they can play special teams.  Some these players are pushed onto and pulled off roster when head coach needs them for other positions.  I suspect Crossman was let go because Coach McD did not believe he was adapting to changes in rules for special teams.

7 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

A high school special teams coach would be an upgrade over Crossman, so I’m all for it. 

Yes exaggerate when you have no facts.  No wonder your alias is named after a referee who often guesses in this game.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Crossman has also had well rated teams.  Unless you have input into 2 good kickers the ranking of a special teams coach is subjective to who is available to play and how well they can play special teams.  Some these players are pushed onto and pulled off roster when head coach needs them for other positions.  I suspect Crossman was let go because Coach McD did not believe he was adapting to changes in rules for special teams.

I totally totally agree that good kickers + ST personnel makes the biggest difference. But I also think that coaching and scheme matter, too. Some guys seem to get more out of less, and others seem to need a top tier unit to produce results. Crossman seems like the latter. 

Crossman had a few good ST units, but he’s had more bottom ranked units than top ranked ones. He’s had a bottom 10 ranked ST unit in 7 out of his 12yrs as a ST coordinator. 

Hard not to look at Armstrong as an upgrade, IMO.

Crossman ST rankings:

Carolina:

2007 - #30

2008 - #10 (#16 weighted)

2009 - #29

Detroit:

2010- #11 (#15 weighted)

2011- #29

2012- #30

Bills:

2013- #30

2014- #4 (#7 weighted) 

2015- #12

2016- #22

2017- #10 (#12 weighted)

2018- #32 

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I remember him from Hard knocks years ago. 

He chewed the crap out his players. Seemed like a true leader. Could definitely do worse than him. I could see him going to Bucs with BA though. 

Was he the coach who told the player on that Hard Knocks ‘you aren’t good enough to be an ahole’?

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

Bills rank (same site):

2018 - #32

2017 - #10

2016 - #22

2015 - #12

2014 - #4

2013 - #30

2012 - #9

So it's just an every other year sort of thing?

I get putting together a ST roster must be hell given the turnover and lack of experience and tremendously varied experience, but still makes you wonder why those wild swings in either direction each year?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

2017 is so misleading. That year just about every team had a good onside kick on us every week. It was awful.

The Bills had two onside kicks against them in 2017, both of which were recovered by opponents.   The Bills recovered only one of their own five onside kicks, but that's about par for the course:

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/stats/2017

Kickoffs

Kickoffs Opponent Returns Onside Kicks
Player Num Yds Avg Lg TB OB Ret RYds TD OSK OSR
Stephen Hauschka 74 4,361 58.9 70 37 0 31 681 0 5 1
Buffalo 74 4,361 58.9 70 37 0 31 681 0 5 1
Opponents 86 5,344 62.1 69 51 0 32 640 0 2 2
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

All I expect from Special teams is that they don't turnover the ball and dont give up stupid penalties... is that too much to ask?

Apparently so if you watched the Bill's unit under crossman.......

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

How about don't allow 20 yard run backs after a 35 yard punt?

That's a big one too but let's accept baby steps for now.......

• Haha (+1) 1