The Whiskey Thread

The_Dude

I really wasn't up to appreciating the partaking in a Laphroaig that everyone else was so excited about.

For a retiring gentleman at the firm, I was asked what we should get him.

I stated that any man would value a good bottle of whiskey.  The women took offense at that somehow, I started back at them like when Charlie glares back after a burn on Alan, I guess it's ingrained to think there is no diffs?

Edited by row_33

Heaven Hill white label, cheap and very good.

Old Overholt is a great cheap rye, and now they make a Bonded version at higher alcohol which has a lot more flavor.

Bulleit is my normal go-to when out and about.

My favorite that can be found at most bars would be Knob Creek Rye.

My all time best I've tasted is Willett Rye. The older one.

I have a few in my pantry right now:

Buffalo Trace

Jim Beam Black label

Elijah Craig

Larceny

as for my daily drinkers I have:

Evan Williams

Four Roses

It helps working PT at a liquor store, I can buy and try stuff at cost saving me quite a bit. A few that I would like put in my pantry is Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek

Edited by Your Brown Eye
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I have a few in my pantry right now:

Buffalo Trace

Jim Beam Black label

Elijah Craig

Larceny

as for my daily drinkers I have:

Evan Williams

Four Roses

It helps working PT at a liquor store, I can buy and try stuff at cost saving me quite a bit. A few that I would like put in my pantry is Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek

Good deal that you have Buffalo Trace on hand.  Have to be at the liquor store when it arrives here in OH to get your hands on it.

Highly recommend the Woodford Reserve.  Another good one, out of Utah, is High West.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Good deal that you have Buffalo Trace on hand.  Have to be at the liquor store when it arrives here in OH to get your hands on it.

Highly recommend the Woodford Reserve.  Another good one, out of Utah, is High West.

I put down a bottle of Woodford Reserve over 2 days on Xmas. High West is awesome. Met the owner / founder at a seminar during the food & wine festival at epcot. Real nice guy & cool story. Their campfire is great. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Buffalo Trace can be hard to come by. We aren't able to bring it in often. We scored some in December for the holidays and I pulled one off the shelf for me before the customers got to it. The last time we were allotted it was in May/June. But BT is not a rare as Blaton's bourbon, we get allotted maybe 2 cases a year and that goes within hrs. We got a case in december, no one told me it came it, and it sold out within 2 hrs. 

Woodford is fantastic, I tried it a Dave and Buster's and was blown away. But my finances from the holidays was a little tight to buy a bottle.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

I really wasn't up to appreciating the partaking in a Laphroaig that everyone else was so excited about.

For a retiring gentleman at the firm, I was asked what we should get him.

I stated that any man would value a good bottle of whiskey.  The women took offense at that somehow, I started back at them like when Charlie glares back after a burn on Alan, I guess it's ingrained to think there is no diffs?

My dad has a bottle of 30 year Laphroaig that's amazing. He also owns an honorary square foot at their distillery in Islay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

When money isn't an issue, I go for Jameson. What I drink on a budget is Evan Williams White Label. It's bonded, so it has more alcohol in it. I usually drink my whiskey with a splash of water, so depending on my mood, I usually just add a bit more water, and less whiskey, it lasts longer. It's hard to find, but it's less than 20 bucks for a big bottle. Usually lasts me 4-6 months. There's a local Texas brand called Rebecca Creek that's pretty good. Anybody else enjoy a glass of whiskey while puffing on a good cigar?

17 hours ago, The_Dude said:

This thread is a thread for people who appreciate whiskey. 

Please post when you try a new whiskey with your thoughts on it. 

Also, if you use an mixers with whiskey this thread is not for you. 

Does water count as a mixer?

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

Buffalo Trace sounds like what the American west pioneers said when they tasted the stream water.

I usually keep a bottle of Bourbon in the house for when we have guests, and occasionally I’ll have a glass of Bulleit or Whistlepig (VT local) neat.

I was back in CNY over Christmas break, and a few friends and I got together and played some pitch.  The host had a bottle of Tullamore Dew 18 year that we passed around until it was gone.  So smooth and delicious.

I wish I liked it. Seems like a good drink to appreciate. However, I can't get past the fact that every single one of them tastes like gasoline.