Is Malik Jackson worth a look?

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They probably are going to cut Dareus and Jackson. Unless either takes a massive pay cut. Jacksonville has spent big the past 3 off-seasons in an effort to compete. So their cap situation is rather bad and they can't hold onto decent players on massive contracts. Campbell will probably do a restructure since if he went on the open market he would command good money. 

The Jags have some solid money committed to few players. Campbell, Dareus, Jackson, Telvin Smith, and Bouye all have 10+ million dollar deals on defense while on offense Bortles and Norwell make good money too. They could also consider trading Campbell too if they got a good return or he simply doesn't want to take a pay cut. 

I understand the situation, but they have a lot of other players they can cut without necessarily cutting Malik Jackson. If they simply don't want him anymore, then yeah, obviously they'll cut him, but they can get out of their cap troubles pretty easily without moving him. Dareus, Sefarian-Jenkins, Barry Church, Bortles, one of their WRs or CBs. They can all be cut and save a lot of money without necessarily cutting two DTs. They still very well might just want to get rid of both anyways but I don't think it's a definite that they cut Jackson.

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I understand the situation, but they have a lot of other players they can cut without necessarily cutting Malik Jackson. If they simply don't want him anymore, then yeah, obviously they'll cut him, but they can get out of their cap troubles pretty easily without moving him. Dareus, Sefarian-Jenkins, Barry Church, Bortles, one of their WRs or CBs. They can all be cut and save a lot of money without necessarily cutting two DTs. They still very well might just want to get rid of both anyways but I don't think it's a definite that they cut Jackson.

They are -7 million in the hole to start, Bortles doesn't save much money, Dareus is not enough, and they don't have any other big cuts that would net 10+ million in cap savings. Why keep an older DT who under performed the last season he played? Its better for the Jags to make the big cuts now and put themselves in a better position in 2020 in my opinion. That stupid Bortles contract really ***** them. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They are -7 million in the hole to start, Bortles doesn't save much money, Dareus is not enough, and they don't have any other big cuts that would net 10+ million in cap savings. Why keep an older DT who under performed the last season he played? Its better for the Jags to make the big cuts now and put themselves in a better position in 2020 in my opinion. That stupid Bortles contract really ***** them. 

Some potential cut candidates:

Bortles: $9.5 million if cut with June designation

DJ Hayden: $3.5 million post-June

Sefarian-Jenkins: $4.4 million

Hyde: $4.7 million

Dareus: $10.5 million

All of them besides maybe DJ Hayden are locks to be gone at this point and those moves free up roughly $29 million, giving them roughly $22 million to use between free agency and draft picks to fill like 10 roster slots, most of which won't be expected to be starting caliber players.

Again, if they simply don't think Jackson is worth the money anymore, they should cut him. But if they think he's worth the money, they can probably afford to keep him.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Some potential cut candidates:

Bortles: $9.5 million if cut with June designation

DJ Hayden: $3.5 million post-June

Sefarian-Jenkins: $4.4 million

Hyde: $4.7 million

Dareus: $10.5 million

All of them besides maybe DJ Hayden are locks to be gone at this point and those moves free up roughly $29 million, giving them roughly $22 million to use between free agency and draft picks to fill like 10 roster slots, most of which won't be expected to be starting caliber players.

Again, if they simply don't think Jackson is worth the money anymore, they should cut him. But if they think he's worth the money, they can probably afford to keep him.

I don't think he is worth the money he is currently on the books for. If he was a good but overpaid player a team with a less dire cap situation could afford to keep him. But teams up against the cap can't afford to pass on massive cap savings to keep a player that isn't worth the money. 

15 hours ago, DCOrange said:

If we pursue a DT that gets cut, I'd prefer it be Gerald McCoy. Having said that, paying $25-30 million per year to your DTs (combined between Star, McCoy, and the two Phillips) is a lot.

Correct in saying its paying the Dline too much and getting the money on the wrong side of the ball. especially over investing in the DT position imo

16 hours ago, DCOrange said:

If we pursue a DT that gets cut, I'd prefer it be Gerald McCoy. Having said that, paying $25-30 million per year to your DTs (combined between Star, McCoy, and the two Phillips) is a lot.

They can afford it while Allen is on a rookie deal.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I always thought Malik Jackson was more suited for a 3-4. Likely not a good fit for Frazier / McD defense. But I admit I did not watch him play much except for one or two Jags games (and he was not impressive in those - Tuhrod sacks notwithstanding). So I may be wrong.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay