Is Malik Jackson worth a look?

He is most likely getting cut. The Jags are in cap hell and they have so much money invested on the D-line and there are several big contract players who underperformed. Dareus and Jackson in particular are 10+ million dollar contract players who are coming off of down years. C.Campbell might also get cut despite having a productive season (10.5 sacks) but his cap hit is huge at 16 million with a 15 million dollar savings if cut. Although I suspect that they will try and restructure his deal since he is still rather productive. 

Adding a top tier defensive end (draft) and Malik at the 3 technique would be a very nice start to rebuilding the d line.

Malik's biggest issue is effort and staying in good shape.  Jacksonville's entire team disappointed this year, so a new start might do the trick.

We definitely need a penetrating/pass rushing 3 technique.  Harrison is more of a 'tweener', Star is Star, and hopefully Phillips is back.  But we need to fill some talent gaps in free agency and Malik is certainly plenty talented

The Jags basically have to cut either Jackson or Calais Campbell.  I'm assuming Jackson will be it given that they still have Dareus, Abry Jones, and 2018 first round pick Taven Bryan in the fold, but Campbell might make more sense as a guy that's older and slowing down.

However, if Jackson is released, then yes, absolutely, I'd take a look.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The Jags basically have to cut either Jackson or Calais Campbell.  I'm assuming Jackson will be it given that they still have Dareus, Abry Jones, and 2018 first round pick Taven Bryan in the fold, but Campbell might make more sense as a guy that's older and slowing down.

I would assume Dareus is cut first, no? Zero dead cap if they cut Dareus and Jackson is probably better anyways. I would think both of them may be on the chopping block depending on how much flexibility Jacksonville wants to have this offseason. If they plan on just drafting and starting a rookie, they don't really have to rock the boat too much in terms of cuts.

Just now, DCOrange said:

I would assume Dareus is cut first, no? Zero dead cap if they cut Dareus and Jackson is probably better anyways. I would think both of them may be on the chopping block depending on how much flexibility Jacksonville wants to have this offseason. If they plan on just drafting and starting a rookie, they don't really have to rock the boat too much in terms of cuts.

Perhaps...though they actually save more cap space by cutting Jackson ($11M) than Dareus ($10M), and Dareus is younger.

I also think that they could cut both and go into the season with Taven Bryan and Abry Jones as starters

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Perhaps...though they actually save more cap space by cutting Jackson ($11M) than Dareus ($10M), and Dareus is younger.

I also think that they could cut both and go into the season with Taven Bryan and Abry Jones as starters

Yeah Jackson is gone. He was getting phased out near the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Highly doubtful they keep Dareus on his contract and a down year

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

They probably are going to cut Dareus and Jackson. Unless either takes a massive pay cut. Jacksonville has spent big the past 3 off-seasons in an effort to compete. So their cap situation is rather bad and they can't hold onto decent players on massive contracts. Campbell will probably do a restructure since if he went on the open market he would command good money. 

The Jags have some solid money committed to few players. Campbell, Dareus, Jackson, Telvin Smith, and Bouye all have 10+ million dollar deals on defense while on offense Bortles and Norwell make good money too. They could also consider trading Campbell too if they got a good return or he simply doesn't want to take a pay cut.