Anyone use AirBnB?

Punching Bag

It is a private market rental agency and I have heard some good things and some bad things about it.  A friend of a friend of my wife used it and said he got a great place at a good price. Many websites report a lot of fees if you use site which you do not find out until you book it.  My checks reveal lots of restrictions on changes and in many cases you needing to pay 50% of rental cost if you cancel despite reason including false statements in original ad.  I am going to Hong Kong for 2 weeks and hotel prices in Hong Kong as some of the highest in world so I am looking at alternates but being diligent.

I dont like the idea of staying in someone elses house, even if today the house is used solely as a rental business for the owner and it's not their main residence.

At least with a good hotel you know that things are regulated when it comes to cleaning a room after a guest has stayed there.

• Like (+1) 1

We have used VRBO (US and Europe), not Airbnb.    We won't sign up with Airbnb because they want far too much information. I get why - heck, if I lived there and it was a room where I was in residence, I would too - but no. With VRBO we have stayed in houses (the whole house) and apartments (the entire apartment) without any other person staying there with us or seeing us. We've had to pick up keys at rental offices though, and also had rental agents meet us at the property.  And, we have had access to a rental agent in case something broke or something went wrong (which happened once). 

VRBO for Asia .

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We have used VRBO (US and Europe), not Airbnb.    We won't sign up with Airbnb because they want far too much information. I get why - heck, if I lived there and it was a room where I was in residence, I would too - but no. With VRBO we have stayed in houses (the whole house) and apartments (the entire apartment) without any other person staying there with us or seeing us. We've had to pick up keys at rental offices though, and also had rental agents meet us at the property.  And, we have had access to a rental agent in case something broke or something went wrong (which happened once). 

VRBO for Asia .

Been looking at HomeAway due to the reported fees of AirBnD after searching for place of interest.  Evidently VRBO is part of HomeAway which is part of Expedia.

I've used AirBnB in New Zealand and for when I travelled back in America. (Adirondacks to be more precise.)

I have only had good experiences and stayed in some fantastic spots.

Just check out the reviews and you'll be right.

I have used VRBO since the early aughts, and AIRBNB since 2014. Both are great.  There are filters on Airbnb for entire homes, not shared. That is all I have ever done, have never just rented a room

In terms of the fees, it is a pain in da ass that there is no filter on Airbnb to include all fees. The biggest variable is cleaning fees..can be $25 a night at one place, and $75 at a similar place.You are always shown the fees before you book, but still would be much better if there was a filter option that would show all inclusive prices..like StubHub does now.

In terms of cancellations, Airbnb places usually have a fairly easy process, but you almost 100% of the time forfeit the Airbnb fees..prolly is 100% of the time. Just look in the listing will say easy cancellation, moderate cancellation..ot hard cancellation.

All i will say is in Rome this past summer, we could have stayed in a hotel with no balcony and about 400SQ ft for $750 a night, or stayed right across the street with an awesome balcony, washer dryer, full kitchen, 1000 SQ ft for $350 a night. No clean sheets and towels every night, had to carry own luggage etc..but saving $400 a night a no brainer for a better place.

for you @Limeaid , i would make damn sure what the steps are to the place. Prolly not even close to Rome, but 80% of those places had 2-5 stories of stairs to navigate, I assume that's a non-starter for you.  You can always ping the owner to confirm

I use Airbnb a lot, especially on Buffalo and Philadelphia trips. Once you find a couple places you like, you stay in touch with the owners for future dates. 

As for the cleaning fee, and other fees, they tell you want you pay before you book. I simply avoid places that charge too much for that.

For beach condos in the summer I use VRBO. But I don't like how they've jacked up their service fees lately.

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

for you @Limeaid , i would make damn sure what the steps are to the place. Prolly not even close to Rome, but 80% of those places had 2-5 stories of stairs to navigate, I assume that's a non-starter for you.  You can always ping the owner to confirm

In Hong Kong even in buildings with elevators the elevators do not always stop on every floor!  In the building my wife grew up it only stopped every three floors and it was a choice one up or two down.  

I have a reservation for an apartment via Booking.com but looking for alternates.  It is  $5,850.00 HK for the trip which is only $32.14 US a day but there are a lot of things which make me nervous including using ranges on widths of beds.

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

In Hong Kong even in buildings with elevators the elevators do not always stop on every floor!  In the building my wife grew up it only stopped every three floors and it was a choice one up or two down.  

I have a reservation for an apartment via Booking.com but looking for alternates.  It is  $5,850.00 HK for the trip which is only $32.14 US a day but there are a lot of things which make me nervous including using ranges on widths of beds.

i get the bed thing...took me a long time to find a king size bed in Rome..just used to it!

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont like the idea of staying in someone elses house, even if today the house is used solely as a rental business for the owner and it's not their main residence.

At least with a good hotel you know that things are regulated when it comes to cleaning a room after a guest has stayed there.

I mean, somewhat regulated 

I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Work is sending you to Hong Kong?  How's the foot issues?

My mother-in-law is 90+ and is forgetting who her family members are and has some form of dementia.

I am going back to support my wife when she goes back to visit family.

My foot is neither improving nor getting better at this point.  Already told my wife we will be using a lot of taxis.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

My mother-in-law is 90+ and is forgetting who her family members are and has some form of dementia.

My foot is neither improving nor getting better at this point.  Already told my wife we will be using a lot of taxis.

So sorry!  

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Last time I tried to go to Hong Kong I was denied by my boss.  This time he is allowing it and if he did not I'd have to cite the FMLA but good I don't need to.

FMLA is there to protect you and you should absolutely cite it.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I'm a month away from knee replacement surgery. The last year or so I used my bike to get around. Even taught the dog to follow me on it. Made taking her for walks a lot easier. Is that an option in Hong Kong? 

38 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The wife and I are using AIrBnB for the first time next month when we travel to Japan. Found a full apartment with top rating for 1/3rd the price of hotel. Will report our experience when we return.

Any tips from anyone that has been to Japan?

I've been there a lot. If you have specific questions pm me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1