Who was GM when Jason Peters was dealt?

LabattBlue

37 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, JP basically shut Mack down by himself. Bruce got shut down by Webb a few game's too, a few. Note to The Bean, if you ever find a LT like JP you pay him what he wants.

Are teams who invest large mounts of money in the LT position more successful than those who have scrubs LT on roster? Surprisingly,  the answer is investment in LT does not translate to success. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/16/left-tackle-value

So it seems silly for everyone to clamor for throwing money at LTs when there are other more impactful ways to spend the money.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:11 PM, BillsVet said:

Who made Jason Peters great? Mularkey, Jauron? Any guesses?  As good as Mouse McNally was, Peters was a rare physical specimen (who ran a sub 5.0 40 at the combine weighing 330 pounds).  He earned the accolades he received.  And, in careers that often last under 4 years, he wanted to get paid after being among the league's best at perhaps the most difficult position to play next to QB.  

Buffalo gave him a raise in 2005 to play RT and he excelled.  He moved to LT in mid-season 2006 and was pretty much dominant (or "dominate" for some fans). 

You don't get selected to 9 Pro Bowls, voted 1st Team All-Pro 2 times, and 2nd Team All-Pro 4 other times unless you're talented.  So talented in fact, that Philadelphia immediately gave him a 6 year 60m contract after the trade. Then later signed him to another 50M+ deal.    

Buffalo was too cheap to pay elite talent and that's why they traded him.  Thank goodness this organization isn't run as poorly as it was a decade ago. 

Over his first five years in BUffalo Peters made about 11.7 million dollars.

In 10 years in Philly he has currently made another 94 million dollars.

Save for a couple of injuries to have a guy pay left tackle for your team for a decade and just not have to think about it over such a large course of time is an NFL blessing.

Rarely does anyone ever say that awesome left tackle doesn't fit our scheme...can't say that about every position.

Yeah, this worked out real well for Philly.  

I love the idea (or hope for) the Bills possibly picking up the top tackle in the draft and it would be great if we didn't have to worry about him again until the shady side of 2030.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not to rehash all this but it was never clear cut one way or the other.  The Bills gave Peters a nice contract after his first season as a RT.  He wanted big time LT money.  He held out and refused to return their phone calls and when he should up, he was completely out of shape.  The Bills finally traded him and ended up with a decent return, I believe a 1st and something else.

Wait, so Peters never played LT for us?

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Are teams who invest large mounts of money in the LT position more successful than those who have scrubs LT on roster? Surprisingly,  the answer is investment in LT does not translate to success. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/16/left-tackle-value

So it seems silly for everyone to clamor for throwing money at LTs when there are other more impactful ways to spend the money.

Every year teams use first round picks on left tackles and they're almost never available on the free agent market. The question is, why? 

Sure, teams can get by without an All-Pro caliber type.  But the freedom it gives an offense to match their LOT up against the opponents' best pass rusher (as Peters did with Mack on Sunday) is tremendous.  

Yeah, the game is evolving.  QBs are making shorter drops to mitigate outstanding pass rushers.  But if you've got one of these guys, you want to keep him.  Buffalo is still feeling the pain, as evidenced by the multitude of guys who they've thrown out there since the 2009 season.

16 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Every year teams use first round picks on left tackles and they're almost never available on the free agent market. The question is, why? 

Sure, teams can get by without an All-Pro caliber type.  But the freedom it gives an offense to match their LOT up against the opponents' best pass rusher (as Peters did with Mack on Sunday) is tremendous.  

Yeah, the game is evolving.  QBs are making shorter drops to mitigate outstanding pass rushers.  But if you've got one of these guys, you want to keep him.  Buffalo is still feeling the pain, as evidenced by the multitude of guys who they've thrown out there since the 2009 season.

Really good question and point . I would say that teams may want to rethink using high first pick on an OT given how game is now .More impact seems to come from QB , pass rush , WR, even  RB- I know folks want to argue that RBs are a dime a dozen though .

• Haha (+1) 1

I am getting older but I lived through all of those games and like a said two pages ago I remembered Peters being a scrub.  Didn't take much research to reafirm what I already thought.  Peters is the Super Mario of offensive lineman.  When he's "feeling it" he's an all pro and when he's not your QB is in for a long day.  

I later wrote of Peters, "[He] has emerged as one of the top left tackles in the NFL. Unfortunately, Peters is holding out because he wants to renegotiate his contract. I say pay the man. Peters is in the middle of a 5-year deal worth $15 million. He's one of the best players at his position, and he certainly deserves a lot more than he's currently making."
So, should my Pro Bowl voting rights be revoked as well because I considered Peters a top talent? No; not for this reason anyway. Since the 2006 campaign, Peters' play has regressed exponentially. In 2007, Peters gave up six sacks in 15 contests. And last year, things got downright ugly, as Peters surrendered a whopping 11.5 sacks in just 13 games, good for tops in the NFL. Peters was also whistled for eight penalties, a career high for him.
Now you see why I hate the Pro Bowl so much. How could the league's worst left tackle, statistically speaking, be voted in as one of the premier players at his position?

http://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

Peters also seemed to admit that maybe he didn’t give 100 percent on every play last year because he wasn’t happy with his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/04/19/peters-didnt-know-he-gave-up-115-sacks-last-year/

Edited by Maine-iac

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, unbillievable said:

Between Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch, how many other future hall of famers did that regime give away?

Jason Peters was never going to sign here. We offered him 9.5 million and he turned us down and took the same money in Philly> We got what we could but this was all Peters forcing the bills hand at that point

20 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I am getting older but I lived through all of those games and like a said two pages ago I remembered Peters being a scrub.  Didn't take much research to reafirm what I already thought.  Peters is the Super Mario of offensive lineman.  When he's "feeling it" he's an all pro and when he's not your QB is in for a long day.  

I later wrote of Peters, "[He] has emerged as one of the top left tackles in the NFL. Unfortunately, Peters is holding out because he wants to renegotiate his contract. I say pay the man. Peters is in the middle of a 5-year deal worth $15 million. He's one of the best players at his position, and he certainly deserves a lot more than he's currently making."
So, should my Pro Bowl voting rights be revoked as well because I considered Peters a top talent? No; not for this reason anyway. Since the 2006 campaign, Peters' play has regressed exponentially. In 2007, Peters gave up six sacks in 15 contests. And last year, things got downright ugly, as Peters surrendered a whopping 11.5 sacks in just 13 games, good for tops in the NFL. Peters was also whistled for eight penalties, a career high for him.
Now you see why I hate the Pro Bowl so much. How could the league's worst left tackle, statistically speaking, be voted in as one of the premier players at his position?

http://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

Peters also seemed to admit that maybe he didn’t give 100 percent on every play last year because he wasn’t happy with his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/04/19/peters-didnt-know-he-gave-up-115-sacks-last-year/

Jason Peters was far from a scrub. Now if you would’ve said Ruben Brown, I might’ve agreed.

3 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Langston Walker couldn't hold Peter's jock now or back then. Peters played at a high level, at a more premium position, and he sees the less superior position make more than him. This also includes Derek Dockery. Instead of signing those two bums, the money should have been spent on Peters. 

At the time Peters had not shown he was that good.  He was inconsistent.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Wait, so Peters never played LT for us?

Well, according to the Bills' apologists, apparently not.  Apparently, his being named to the Pro Bowl as a LT in 2007 and 2008 was some kind of propaganda scheme by his new agent.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Glenn was pretty damn solid. He had some rough games as every player does, but he was solid. 

And  Glenn got a new contract at the market rate for good starting LTs in the NFL which is REALLY why he's no longer on the team.  NOTHING says that Brandon Beane is playing the same crappy "money ball" (profit > wins) game that Russ Brandon played while in charge of the Bills for a decade than the fact that the Bills traded away a good, established LT for next to nothing just before they drafted their hoped for "franchise QB" ... and now they're looking for a good LT in the draft.   BTW, the supposedly "injured" Glenn started 13 games for the Bengals in 2017, which if you check out stats for top OLers, is pretty good.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Jason Peters was far from a scrub. Now if you would’ve said Ruben Brown, I might’ve agreed.

You'd be wrong about Brown.  He was a Pro Bowl LG from 1997-2003, and again in 2006.  That's 8 straight seasons and 9 over all as a Pro Bowler.  With the Bears, he was instrumental in the Bears' 11-5 2005 season with rookie Kyle Orton as their QB,  and in the Bears' 13-3 2006 season that saw them lose to the Colts in the 2007 Super Bowl, he started every game.   Like Peters and Glenn, he was a victim of the Bills unwillingness to pay top OLers what they were worth.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

At the time Peters had not shown he was that good.  He was inconsistent.

Pro Bowl selections in both 2007 and 2008 say differently.  Stop making excuses for the disinterest  of the Bills regime under Russ Brandon in winning football games ... it's time for you to come up with some for Beane.

Edited by SoTier

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Pro Bowl selections in both 2007 and 2008 say differently.  Stop making excuses for the disinterest  of the Bills regime under Russ Brandon in winning football games ... it's time for you to come up with some for Beane.

Tyrod made the pro bowl two years in a row ...................

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

And  Glenn got a new contract at the market rate for good starting LTs in the NFL which is REALLY why he's no longer on the team.  NOTHING says that Brandon Beane is playing the same crappy "money ball" (profit > wins) game that Russ Brandon played while in charge of the Bills for a decade than the fact that the Bills traded away a good, established LT for next to nothing just before they drafted their hoped for "franchise QB" ... and now they're looking for a good LT in the draft.   BTW, the supposedly "injured" Glenn started 13 games for the Bengals in 2017, which if you check out stats for top OLers, is pretty good.

This is simply not true. Glenn was traded for two reasons:

1.) He was the cost to move up 9 picks in round one, which we needed to help secure a better move up position.

2.) Dion Dawkins showed well enough as his replacement in 2017 to allow McBeane to feel comfortable enough in letting him go. 

We can debate the wisdom behind both reasons, but his salary had nothing to do with it. 

There are some great posts here, evolving from the singular OP question, so the thread continues. But it’s thread titles like this -a singular question requiring one response- that we’re trying hard to avoid. This could/should have been asked in any other thread or shout box to satisfy the OP’s curiosity. These typically fly off the rails quickly, dumbing down the overall intelligent banter. Please keep this mind going forward.

Again, some great side conversations have developed over LT value. Should be it’s own thread so others don’t breeze by a seemingly lame topic title. Thanks.

...the late Eugene Parker was Peters' agent and his client''s message was he wanted out....Parker also represented Jarius Byrd........Marshawn wanted out but pretty sure he had a different agent.....if your client wants pout and you get paid a percentage of his contract, you make the call.....$$$ or get fired......

11 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

That can't be right.

I remember Peters fat ass always getting injured. If you google it he was hurt a lot on the Eagles too. 

Also, what about his year in Buffalo when he showed up out of shape and gave up the most sacks in the NFL?

Can't believe anyone would regret getting rid of this guy. 

Trust me, I am right about his time in Buffalo. He has missed 16.2 percent of games in his emtire NFL career, which is very normal because injuries over long careers are almost impossible to avoid. Kyle Williams missed 12.5 percent. 

Edited by dave mcbride

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the late Eugene Parker was Peters' agent and his client''s message was he wanted out....Parker also represented Jarius Byrd........Marshawn wanted out but pretty sure he had a different agent.....if your client wants pout and you get paid a percentage of his contract, you make the call.....$$$ or get fired......

Parker did what he was paid to do. OTOH, the Bills set a value for both Peters and byrd. In Peters case, they were wrong but they were correct re:Byrd. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I see the Eagles play I wish we still had Bradham. Peters would be gravy, he's obviously outperformed, even outlasted Glenn.. but I forgot the circumstances regarding Bradham. I know it was the scheme change but it looked like we just chose Preston Brown over Bradham.. probably for the rookie contract.

Bradham is clearly better. Not a game changer to that defense but a clear cog in that machine when they're firing on all cylinders, Bradham looks like a monster, similar to how he did with a similarly dominant line in 2014. Wouldn't mind a Zach Brown either for depth but I can see the money there.

Worst thing that ever happened to us was getting Wrexed by that damn scheme change. There's so many domino effects. The players we might have kept. Draft picks we wouldn't waste. We could have a Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack. ****. Rex. Ryan. Good god did he set us back. Complain about Whaley all we want, but he had to toss a bunch of defensive talent and draft for Rex's guys right before the ship went down.. the last 2 drafts of him pre-McDermott were absolutely horrible.

Peters would be nice to have. Eagles sure like their Bills. Why can't we ever get nice things :( . Just let the stars align for once McBeane and start accumulating and retaining the right talent for once in this century lol.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

2 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Google Jason Peters injured and you'll be tons of articles pop up. 

I'm not sure of your point. I thought you were talking about his time with the Bills, which was basically injury free. It's a very rare player in the NFL who plays 15 years and doesn't suffer at least one major injury. And many great players have had to retire long before they've played 15 seasons because of injuries (Michael Irvin, Brian Urlacher, Troy Aikman, Marshall Faulk, Tony Boselli, Thurman Thomas--these are guys that immediately leap to mind, but there are of course many more). The bottom line is that Peters is going to get into the HOF with relative ease. He's the best LT of the last decade or so.