Who was GM when Jason Peters was dealt?

LabattBlue

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You realize Lynch was a strike away from a year long suspension and was still doing ❄️ in Buffalo bars right? Dude was a ticking time bomb who good for him, kept it somewhat together.

the Bills make plenty of dumb moves but you also need to hold the player accountable.

Yeah. No doubt about Lynch. I almost have the feeling he would have done something else stupid, on purpose, to get out of Buffalo if they didn’t trade him.

Now, Peters on the other hand. They screwed the kid. Not that he wasn’t paid handsomely. He was. For a right tackle.  

The issue with Peters was mostly with his agent who is currently a resident of hell.  Bills should have stuck to guns and told his agent if he did not show up then he would be fined for every day he did not show up and Bills would not forgive fines; they would not trade him and if he showed up unfit he would be declared as such.

That agent caused further issues for Bills later and if they stood up then it would have helped in future.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

How many felt that letting Jarius Byrd go was history repeating itself?

I’ll be honest, I hated Byrd going.  Thought he was one if the best defensive playmakers the Bills ever had.  Talk about dodging a bullet.

honestly, it’s funny to talk about but for the most part, this stuff doesn’t real matter unless you have a franchise qb.  We weren’t going to win much with JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and whoever we had at QBs.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah. No doubt about Lynch. I almost have the feeling he would have done something else stupid, on purpose, to get out of Buffalo if they didn’t trade him.

Now, Peters on the other hand. They screwed the kid. Not that he wasn’t paid handsomely. He was. For a right tackle.  

I think the Bills were in a no win situation.  Peters didn’t have much game experience at LT so to give him a big LT after just giving him a nice RT contract would have been risky.  I think fans use hindsight to much.  People love talking about how the Dareus deal was.  Well, he was an all pro DT when he signed the deal.  He got lazy when he got paid.  Maybe Peters does the same thing.  But dude is a freak. I never thought he would be playing still.

even crazier, the Eagles won the SB without him playing most of the year. 

21 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

In return for Peters we received Eric Wood (for 5 yrs on a rookie deal)  + the millions in salary cap freed up each yr in not having highest paid LT in football

and we never needed a LT since then.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Peters is a much better player than Eric wood whom the bills drafted with that pick.

Wood wanted to be here. Peters seemed to just want to escape. He was not yet proven, though indeed a freak! Talent is not equal, but we got a nice price for an UDFA. Sometimes that’s just how it is. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Wood wanted to be here. Peters seemed to just want to escape. He was not yet proven, though indeed a freak! Talent is not equal, but we got a nice price for an UDFA. Sometimes that’s just how it is. 

Yup.  But clearly if we had Peters, we would have been a powerhouse.  He would have taken Trent to the next level.

• Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

And how successful were we with that cap room

And how successful were we with Peters? 

Facts are:  Peters forced his way out.  Really was not the fault of the Bills front office.  They can be held accountable for a whole lot over most the past 2 decades, but this particular situation was all on Peters.

He got paid then wanted more and decided to stay home and get fat.  More importantly he led the league in sacks allowed the year before as well and yet was still asking for even more money after 1 year on his already new deal.

And we got Wood out of it, who did eventually help us make the playoffs last year while we never made the playoffs with Peters.  We also had a pretty good LT most the years since Peters has been gone, LT hasn’t been the WHY we struggled to win or make playoffs.  

It was a win-win for Bills and Eagles.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

I give them credit for finding him more than giving them grief for him leaving.  He didnt want to be in buffalo.  Plain and simple.  The fact that they found him as an oversized te (wasnt he undrafted) is most impressive. 

Demetress Bell actually had a pretty decent year the next year too. Also went to the Eagles. 

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding Lynch, not only was his pseudo criminal history a problem but when we drafted Spiller he and his agent went to Buddy and told him he would not sign any new contract with the Bills and wanted a trade.  Given he was one more bad decision away from being suspended Buddy made the deal.

The Bills front office back then had issues.  Ralph was older and relied on guys he knew like Brandon and Marv, Littman had too much  influence.  I think those times are over with the Pegulas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

In return for Peters we received Eric Wood (for 5 yrs on a rookie deal)  + the millions in salary cap freed up each yr in not having highest paid LT in football

I guess that resulted in a playoff appearance like ten years later on Wood's last year as a pro. I wouldn't say thats a great return. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Peters refused to play for the Bills. He forced his way off the team.

Bad attitude. No, he had a HORRIBLE attitude. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Regarding Lynch, not only was his pseudo criminal history a problem but when we drafted Spiller he and his agent went to Buddy and told him he would not sign any new contract with the Bills and wanted a trade.  Given he was one more bad decision away from being suspended Buddy made the deal.

The Bills front office back then had issues.  Ralph was older and relied on guys he knew like Brandon and Marv, Littman had too much  influence.  I think those times are over with the Pegulas.

Right on!

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not to rehash all this but it was never clear cut one way or the other.  The Bills gave Peters a nice contract after his first season as a RT.  He wanted big time LT money.  He held out and refused to return their phone calls and when he should up, he was completely out of shape.  The Bills finally traded him and ended up with a decent return, I believe a 1st and something else.  If the Pats did this, we would praise their culture and getting rid of me guys.  

I know it’s impossible to take the middle ground in any debate but I completely see both sides. Peters is a HOF and a freak.  The Bills signed the guy as a UDFA TE and moved him.  Peters also has had some major injuries and missed most of last year.  But yup, that deal worked out well for them.

This!

We took a chance on him, paid him, and he was all about himself.  Missed quite a few games, etc and it was the right thing to do to move on.  

At the time, I would’ve taken the under on him playing more than half of his games healthy. 

48 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Geez...Napoli should have made the sleeves longer...

Maybe his arms grow like Pinocchio’s nose? 

(JK, I liked him for the most part. If only he could have kept his nose in his pants!)